Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all,

I have a problem with my Audi A3 8v 1.4tfsi and I thought maybe picking some brains might help find the answer. Audi cannot find the problem thus far, however it will go back into the garage on Monday to be checked again.

So problem is during the first 40 - 50 seconds on engine start up. I have linked a sound clip of the car where I have revved the engine a little to get the noise to be a little louder on the 'down rev', almost like a growl?. I have already had the infamous "rattle" fixed/dulled.
    The noise then stops after one minute, I rev the engine at the end of the clip and nothing happens.

Could it be related to the Turbo? Cam shaft positioner? Something more serious?

Secondary to this the car has used more oil recently, Audi said the sump plug was a little loose but they couldn't find a leak, a little sus to me...

Any help would be great, I am a little lost right now!

Link: Audi noise - YouTube

Thanks,

James

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi 8v 1.4tfsi Engine start up noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hope I'm wrong but it sounds like piston slap on the bores, could be bottom bearings on conrods.
    The pistons expand once they are warmed up, but on cold start they are not at the full diameter so if conrod bearing have gone then the pistons have room within the engine bores to slap against the walls,
    And once warm the noise tends to fade or go away because the tolerances have gone.

About your oil loss has the exhaust been letting out any usual smoke?

If so I would do a compression test on each cylinder to test if the piston rings or valves are worn, or check your turbo for leaks by removing the air filter pipe of the turbo and checking for oil inside that pipe.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

1 0 0

3. Re: Audi 8v 1.4tfsi Engine start up noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @grant19841, many thanks for the reply.....

This is the first time someone has suggested this to me, I will take this to Audi to help steer them a little.

Regarding the oil leaking, there is no leak anywhere, the car must be burning it, I have noticed however more coke build up on the exhausts in the past two weeks? The car is 60,000km (the car is located in Germany)

regarding the Piston slap, what would be replaced to fix this? would the engine itself not be quite damaged by this?

Thanks for the info so far!

James

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi 8v 1.4tfsi Engine start up noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Burgess52,

Prices vary from main dealers to independent garages,
    Firstly I would take it to a few garages to get some more feedback and see what they say, see if they agree with the diagnosis then get a few quotes.
    If it is piston slap it can be rebuilt as long as you catch it in time otherwise the bore linings get scored, but again this can be rebuilt too.

Burning oil can be because too much oil in getting in the combustion chamber due to piston slap and too much oil getting past the piston rings

Let us know how you get on.

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi 8v 1.4tfsi Engine start up noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The millage is very low I would be surprised to honest, but worth a check

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi 8v 1.4tfsi Engine start up noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgess52 View Post
    Hello all,

I have a problem with my Audi A3 8v 1.4tfsi and I thought maybe picking some brains might help find the answer. Audi cannot find the problem thus far, however it will go back into the garage on Monday to be checked again.

So problem is during the first 40 - 50 seconds on engine start up. I have linked a sound clip of the car where I have revved the engine a little to get the noise to be a little louder on the 'down rev', almost like a growl?. I have already had the infamous "rattle" fixed/dulled.
    The noise then stops after one minute, I rev the engine at the end of the clip and nothing happens.

Could it be related to the Turbo? Cam shaft positioner? Something more serious?

Secondary to this the car has used more oil recently, Audi said the sump plug was a little loose but they couldn't find a leak, a little sus to me...

Any help would be great, I am a little lost right now!

Link: Audi noise - YouTube

Thanks,

James
    @Burgess52 : My A3 8VA 1.4 tfsi 150 cv. ultra cod ( buyed new in march 2016 : 4500 km. ) have a noise similar to yours from day one ( especially at time 0.05 seconds of your video )

Please see my videos on youtube ( do you have these noise ? it appears only when engine is cold and in the first minute )
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwW...yMyAA08A6iToSQ

Do you have solved your problem ?
    The Audi service of Florence have just changed : alternator , timing belt , motor oil pump and never changed : the noise is the same

Thank you

Timo

0 0 0