Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)

1 1 0

2. Re: What will be the effect of the scandal about emissions? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    I am not sue it will effect the VED as this is CO based not nOX based....

Agreed, but the problem looks to be linked to the ECU special software, it was mentioned that the ECU cut back fuel supply (during testing) to lower the NOx but as a consequence, reducing power and CO /CO2 as the combustion in directly lowered. That's the funny thing, they wanted to lower NOx (for the USA) but end up lowering Power,NO,NOx,CO,CO2..etc

Now if the car VED for CO2 was borderline to the next band, like the old A6 C6 3.0 Tdi 223g (BAND k) 225g band L, then the odd gram is going to make someone unhappy...

Point being, as VW have admitted using this trick in Europe where CO2 will be effected too, which might lead to new levels of VED on some cars. I've , you've got to smile, we get hammered for little things then a big company goes and reprograms the goal posts and we might get hammered again.....

At least this has made interesting Car tech reading, we might get something good one day in the future..... and like someone else mentioned, when one company is doing this, chances there are a few more doing it..... Remember the Phone hacking scandal in the UK with that unnamed newspaper? then 5 years later we found out several papers were doing the same....
    2016 (B9) A4 Saloon S line 3.0 TDI quattro 272 PS tiptronic
    2012 (C7) A6 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line, S-tronic, Sports Diff. 242PS
    2010 (C6) A6 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line, Tiptronic, Le Mans. 233PS

1 1 0

3. Re: Ouch - VW/Audi in the US of A 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So that's what all the PPI Cowboys will be doing next....

0 1 0

4. Re: Ouch - VW/Audi in the US of A 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    PPI payouts have been fuelling the UK's economy for the past few years (and maybe paid for some VWs), so that should help the economy along for a while.

Winterkorn's gone off with a pension of $35 million.

It's the common rail engine EA189. So presumably my PD engine is squeaky clean....
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 1 0

5. Re: What will be the effect of the scandal about emissions? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    I've just read that here in the UK the government are going to re-test and re-classify the effected vehicles.

So it does look like peoples road fund licence and far more potentially expensively their company car tax is going to change.
    No it won't the test is for NOX, not C02. Diesel taxation needs changing anyway, it's not fair that they pay less to drive around killing 25000 people a year.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

6. Re: Ouch - VW/Audi in the US of A 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatrelle View Post
    So presumably my PD engine is squeaky clean....
    No, it is still a filthy smelly old piece of ****, just the same as it was the day it left the factory AND this is why it will soon be banned from Paris and then other French cities! The NOX emissions alone from a truthfully tested and perfectly legal EU4 PD engine are tens of times of times higher than the REAL figures from illegally tested US California spec cars, even though the testing was off, they are still the cleanest engines ever made, you can literally breath the tailpipe emissions, try doing that on your car! The simple test costs nothing, all you need is a significant and clean digit! Stick your finger up the tailpipe of an EU4 car and it will be covered in thick black soot. Stick the same (now clean) digit up the tailpipe of an EU5 or EU6 car and it will come out spotlessly clean with maybe a little condensation. This is the thing that is insane about all this, even though the cars tested are illegally high in NOX, they are still incredibly clean and cleaner than the EU6 cars on sale here. Just wait until BMW, Merc, Fiat Chrysler, Ford, Mazda etc etc have to hold their hands up and say they were also doing it, I would lay good amounts of my own money down on a bet that EVERY single diesel engine producer in the world has been doing this, bar none! I can't wait until one of the US big three are shown to have been doing this as well, the Yanks are going to look like complete *******, which in't particularly difficult anyway! I bet even Jaguars new Inengium range has had it's tests fudged, the figures I have seen are just too clean to comprehend.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 2 0

7. Re: Ouch - VW/Audi in the US of A 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    How much shall we bet that the Chevrolet Cruze diesel sold in the USA with its Italian designed and German built engine REALLY does have NOX figures lower than a US market Jetta, come on GM, stand up and be counted! Ohh God I am looking forward to this....

Diesel Vehicles: Diesel Cars and Diesel Trucks | Chevrolet

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 3 0

8. Re: What will be the effect of the scandal about emissions? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Mainly the sub routine uses the DPF pressure sensors ability to detect an increase in exhaust back pressure after the SCR catalyst when the testing gear is attached to the back bumper and tailpipe specifically.
    I heard that the trigger to initiate the EPA routine was when the wheel sensors reported that the rear wheels were stationary whilst the front wheels were turning (i.e. the car was on a rolling road). It may not be true, but I thought it was an elegant way of doing it.

0 1 0

9. Re: What will be the effect of the scandal about emissions? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It is the driving style and exhaust pressure, apparently it is a rather beautiful algorithm to those who appreciate such mathematical witchcraft. If the US EPA CAFE test wasn't so critically flawed (like the European tests) and was carried out in real world testing (which can NEVER give real world results) the cheat could not have worked. Maybe a good thing to come out of this is proper real world testing, the results of that will make this fuss seem like a children's tea party but I doubt it will happen, EVERY single manufacturer would be terrified of the results! The whole taxation system for cars based on Co2 would instantly fall apart when it was discovered that these low C02 cars produce nothing like the results they are supposed to.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 2 0

10. Re: What will be the effect of the scandal about emissions? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    I love it when people bleat on about this pollution malarkey, they don't seem to bothered about all the pollution from the diesel lorrys bringing them their Tesco pizza cos they're to lazy to get off their *** and walk to the shops. Or what's being blown out the back of those jet engines when they're on the way to two weeks in Benidorm, not to mention the muck that gets thrown out of the third world tractors by the people who grow their food because "we absolutely must have fresh grapes in Waitrose in January". Two week cruise round the Med anyone? Seen the **** coming out of those funnels? But exceed some arbitrary limit for some chemical compound they've never heard of before and suddenly everyone's a sodding expert on the subject. I sometimes wish I was Hannibal Lector, just so I could eat some of these ***** just to see them coming back out of my ****!

This has been a Whipps rant!
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 4 0

Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast