Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    June & July 2020

Well the new engine finally made it in but not without a fight. Engine swaps on these cars is a big job and I wouldn't want to do it again in a hurry.

Front end off:

Old engine finally out:

Used this opportunity to repair my engine loom with another 3.0TDI wiring harness

Vanes all cleaned out

Swapping parts over

Nasty boost leak found too (repaired this and provided better support - see below)

All new mounts:
    Passenger side (middle in the picture) mount was worn pretty bad

Starter motor located in the most painful location and this yellow rubber seal can be a struggle to get into place:

So to change the starter one would have to remove the front end off and remove the engine mount.

New engine finally in:

New heat shield made up to protect the intercooler pipe

Well ran the engine for around 30miles and after rerouting pipework I decided to wash the engine down. Took it for another drive and got oil level sensor fault ummm. Looked after the dip and the oil wasn't right - yep water in the oil.
    Removed the oil and coolant from the engine fitted the level sensor from the old engine - put 7 litres of oil and measured 51mm on the level - added water and noticed the oil level increased opps. At the same time, I noticed the Vee area was getting wet.

Stripped down the whole vee area and ordered every new gasket and seal for the base plate and decided to use parts from original engine as they had no issues etc:

Old gasket rusted through

New seals:

New support bracket

Touch wood engine appears to fine again.

More updates to follow

Cheers
    Bobby

0 2 0

2. Re: Bobby Singh's Audi A4 3.0 TDI Project car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    July 2020

Well with the engine in and running plenty of time has been spent on getting the duration map calibrated correctly.After which I have been chasing my tail for weeks trying to workout why my rail pressure is no longer stable (bad osolation) and rail pressure low events for example it would dip for 0.5s with injecting 100mg and again after 4.5k.

Check the feed pressure and it was showing 10 bar plus - light bulb moment

10 bar plus

Freed up the fuel pressure relief valve and got a stable 6 bar this fixed the osolation issue but still kept getting these low pressure events.

6 bar

Changed the HPFP back to the R90 - same issue
    Changed the PCV same issue
    Changed the rail (in case the seat was bad - same issue
    At this point started to think maybe one of the injectors are leaking off too much fuel and causing the dips in Rail Pressure.

As a last hope I swapped out the metering unit and now rail pressure tracks perfectly - This is at 100ms sample rate.

In other news as I plan to keep the car I've invested in this kit for car play:

Install to follow...

Cheers
    Bobby

0 2 0

3. Re: Bobby Singh's Audi A4 3.0 TDI Project car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Aug 2020

Installed the Unique Auto kit and be honest I didn't like it:
    1) MMI2G display is low res so the car play didn't look right
    2) Using Car Play meant in the background you were controlling the Nav and sometime it would be in a mess if you returned back to it
    3) Reverse camera didn't work for me very well wasn't getting CAN siganl when reverse was selected

So in the end found a guy who did the whole MMI3G Plus upgrade - new 2020 Nav maps, better display, dab radio, 60gb hdd, 2 x sd slots, Bluetooth streaming (all oem):

Old MMI2G High:

Next is AMI cable to the glovebox and OEM reverse camera

Costco's had a really good deal on tyres so went for some Michelin PS4

Armed with new tyres I went for a quick test, seems the wheels still spin at 60mph:

Audi A4 3.0TDI Bobby Singh's 0 to 60 test (new engine spec) - YouTube

Current engine power is unknown but seems to going well

Cheers
    Bobby

0 2 0

4. Re: Bobby Singh's Audi A4 3.0 TDI Project car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Sept 2020

Cluster software updated to show oil temp:

Got myself a Turbo Speed Gauge - https://www.borgwarner.com/docs/defa...guidelines.pdf

Need to make a suitable pod for it and I’m hoping I can configure the input voltage for my 6 bar map sensor. Also, has a nice voltage output so can log turbo speed.
    Got a glovebox and foot well lighting from @RobinA3 https://rocketwires.co.uk/ totally recommended

Cheers
    Bobby

0 3 0

5. Re: Bobby Singh's Audi A4 3.0 TDI Project car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    October 2020

Been working closely with a developer that does cylinder pressure monitoring and using the Beru PSG it seems I've maxed that out at 230bar. Now looking at a pro solution used by OEM's for a sensor that can read more and comes correctly calibrated - more to follow on this...

In the meantime opened an account with Bilsten and ordered a B16 kit with wifi/bluetooth ride control, for quick access it comes with a button which can be used to toggle between comfort, sport and sport +

Here are some pictures:

Controller mounted behind the glove box

Fronts wired via the inner arch loom

Sports button

New top mounts

Rears wired

After driving these around I would totally recommend them, in comfort mode the suspension is like a SE model and Sports is harder than stock S line and sport plus is for track, but again you can adjust the presets to how you like it.
    I need to increaase the height as Im not a fan of cars too low but I will tweak the suspension in a week or so once it settles down.

Cheers
    Bobby

0 0 0

6. Re: Bobby Singh's Audi A4 3.0 TDI Project car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Great work!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

0 1 0

7. Re: Bobby Singh's Audi A4 3.0 TDI Project car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi friend.

Reference M18 rail pressure sensor??

Thanks

0 0 0

8. Re: Bobby Singh's Audi A4 3.0 TDI Project car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi Drop me a email BobbySinghRacing@outlook.com

Thanks

0 0 0

9. Re: Bobby Singh's Audi A4 3.0 TDI Project car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Really happy the way this has turned out - the handling and ride quality is the best I've experienced for a car that's lowered.

0 0 0

10. Re: Bobby Singh's Audi A4 3.0 TDI Project car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    November 2020

Not much has changed, but Im getting issues with the hpfp so revert back to the R90 item and started some mods on that (more to follow).
    Rear camera is now working:

First timed run on the new engine and its showing promising results - I don't know of any other 3.0tdi doing the 100 to 200 any quicker with full weight.
    Things to note are this was the only single test I managed
    Gear change into 5th seems to show a dip in acceleration - should be fixable
    Full weight with 60l of diesel in the tank

0 0 0

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast