Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi lads,

my Audi's power steering stopped very suddenly... I turned on the car (hot engine) and after 2 seconds I got 3 beeps and a red steering wheel symbol on the dash. The car has no power steering. However, left to cool a little, it is grand, no trouble. There is no whinging, no noises of the steering either as far as I can tell and I never seen a yellow or orange power steeling symbol on the dash light up beforehand. It has not shown any signs of being broken till 2 days ago and I only get the fault when the car is used and turned off - the fault does not come up when engine gets hot while driving.

The same day I had a little hiccup as the car would not start (high pitch rev, then it started and died, had to wait 2 mins - sounds to me like a weak battery!)

I have found a post like this posted beforehand, but it has not been sorted. Please tell me whether it is something small or is the whole rack gone? I remember reading that if the battery is weak, the steering acts up?
    My Audi needs the battery replaced every 9-12 months, and the last time was 1 year ago so it is kind of due.

Help!
    2010 Audi A3 8P 1.6 TDI

0 0 0

2. Re: Unresolved - power steering fault audi a3 2003 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you have a way to read the fault code?
    Could be many things although replacing the battery every year? I've had batteries on cars for 4+ years
    Sounds like you have electrical issues

0 0 0

3. Re: Unresolved - power steering fault audi a3 2003 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I don't know how good the mechanic's comp was but apparently there were no faults.... then again I can always bring it to Audi to check, cause I always have loads different ones, exactly due to electrical issues. The sunroof and rear wiper are both posessed, indeed.
    The battery now seems to be ok cause we got it checked, apparently 80% full.

Even Audi could not pinpoint the issues other than intermittent wiper sensor fault I think!

The car is left at a garage now, hoping the lad is thorough and will find something silly as I am dead certain it is not the rack but some fuse. Quite funny cause the headlight bulb went around the same time as the PS....

0 0 0

4. Re: Unresolved - power steering fault audi a3 2003 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok got the car back literally for 10 mundane it came back on. I hate this car now, it's useless!

The mechanic said he checked the electronics and disconnected the servotronic module and popped it back on and everything was grand but once we took it home it calved itself. The mechanic said it will be 350e for the module to be changed....

Any info on just the module changed and why is this little piece of black plastic so expensive!?

0 0 0

5. Re: Unresolved - power steering fault audi a3 2003 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Power steering failure on 8P's is quite common.
    The rack has been updated by Audi a number of times.
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

6. Re: Unresolved - power steering fault audi a3 2003 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So are you saying they were doing some recalls by any chance?
    2010 Audi A3 8P 1.6 TDI

0 0 0

7. Re: Unresolved - power steering fault audi a3 2003 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    No recalls but part numbers have been superseded a number of times.
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

8. Re: Unresolved - power steering fault audi a3 2003 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Typical, let the customer pay €1200 for a new rack, because it is our fault, why not...

I don't know what to do with the car. Second hand full rack or the servotronic module alone?
    2010 Audi A3 8P 1.6 TDI

0 0 0

9. Re: Unresolved - power steering fault audi a3 2003 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It's lasted 12 years, how long do you think the warranty should be? You can't get the servotronic unit unless you take it off of another rack, the best solution is to fit the GEN3 rack with the genuine wiring harness conversion kit 1K2 971 111 AJ. You can get the rack from ZF (the original manufacturer) under 7805.955.169 and Bosch list it as K S01 000 747, the Audi number is 1K2 423 055 KX. Remember, whoever fits it needs to know how to set it up.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

2 1 0

10. Re: Unresolved - power steering fault audi a3 2003 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you happen to know how much should the parts and labor cost me? Audi is definitely out of my financial boundaries...

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast