1. Possable Head gasket gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I am on here to ask for a bit of help, I think the head gasket has gon on my 1.9 TDI A6, I need to save money as my wife is having chemotheropy for cancer so I am trying to see if I can find someone to help me with this as I dont have close to £1000 to pay a garage to do thie swap.

Now here is whats happening:

1 no oil in water.
    2 no water in oil, no milky oil on oil cap or dip stick.
    3 What looks like exhaust dust in the expantion tank.
    4 water gets dumped out the expantion tank cap when driving on the motorway, not around town and
    5 no overheating in traffic.

I have replaced the tank, cap and the thermostat and the G12 fluid.

Is there anyone near Poole/Bournemouth that may be able to help with diagnostics or the replacement of the head gasket cheaply please.

0 1 0

2. Re: Possable Head gasket gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Overheating on the motorway?
    Have you thought about a faulty water pump?....when was it changed last?
    Last edited by rowdy-999; 04-09-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 1 0

3. Re: Possable Head gasket gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just checked and the water pump and cambelt was replaced in January this year, so dont think its that, also have the black dust in the coolant.

Is there a coolant going through the EGR Valve? I have read this could be a problem.

0 1 0

4. Re: Possable Head gasket gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Get a garage to sniff the emissions from the header tank. They may detect exhaust fumes and confirm the HG leak. Regards Peter
    Last edited by Peter D; 08-09-2015 at 01:10 PM.

0 1 0

5. Re: Possable Head gasket gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you find that it is a head gasket that has blown, you may save a bundle using a water additive to seal the gasket, quick and easy, and may save a lot of cash (so you can spend it on the rest of the car ).

0 1 0

6. Re: Possable Head gasket gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a indi garage have a look for me and it is the head gasket, even had coolant leaking from the rear on the head and I did not notice that myself.

0 1 0

7. Re: Possable Head gasket gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bring the car to London and i will do the head gasket for you mate...Sorry to hear about your missus health issues, hope she pulls through chemo fine...

Chris

2 2 0

8. Re: Possable Head gasket gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Chris Thanks for the offer I have had it sorted now, £800 I didnt want to spend but it is still a good car, its to good to scrap. As for my wife thanks for the kind word, unfortunatly the chemo has done more damage to my wife, it has scarred her lungs and now she is battling to breath, thankfully they have now stopped the chemo.

0 1 0

9. Re: Possable Head gasket gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there, I am new to this forum so hello all
    Now Regarding this problem (i know its a old post) but i have a golf 1.9 tdi I had timing belt kit and water pump fitted 3 months ago and recently the car started to overheat on motorways so i checked the thermostat first (cheapest option ) wasnt operning when put in boiling water so i changed it but to no look still over heating. Now what i would be doing is take the return pipe from the expantion bottle and start the car if no water comes out wile running then its down to water pump so to double check take the bottom hose from the thermostat housing then take off the thermostat housing and remove the thermostat (remembering witch way it sits in the block ) stick your fingers in the hole in the block and feel the water pump impeller you should not be able to move it or spin it if it spins then its a faulty pump its a 10 min job to check that will save you time and money hope this helps anyone with future problems regarding this

0 1 0