1. Brake servo type - ATE / TRW? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been told my A4 (03 1.9TDI Quattro Avant) needs a new brake servo. Is there any difference between ATE type and TRW - as in does one type need to be replaced like-for-like? And if so, is there a way to identify which my car has without pulling the old one to check the part number? I'd like to have the parts ready before starting the work. Any help would be much appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: Brake servo type - ATE / TRW? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    get the parts from dealer that way you will have the correct part on the parts catalog its shows both TRW part number 8E0612107E and ATE part number 8E0612107F dont really know if there any diffrence
    eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind

0 0 0

3. Re: Brake servo type - ATE / TRW? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Granted, that would be easy - but the difference in price between dealer and online is huge for the exact same items. For the ATE the dealer is £214 more; for the TRW they are £100 more. Needless to say, the dealer won't tell me which I need (or if there is any difference between the two)...

0 0 0

4. Re: Brake servo type - ATE / TRW? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I'm in the same boat as you (except I have a late 03 (53) A$ 1.9 quattro saloon) - need a brake servo as the current one has a small vac leak.
    Just wondering did you find out how to tell them apart without removing?
    What one did you end up buying and did it work ok?

Thanks,
    John

0 0 0

5. Re: Brake servo type - ATE / TRW? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcauleyj View Post
    Hi,
    I'm in the same boat as you (except I have a late 03 (53) A$ 1.9 quattro saloon) - need a brake servo as the current one has a small vac leak.
    Just wondering did you find out how to tell them apart without removing?
    What one did you end up buying and did it work ok?

Thanks,
    John
    The servo didn't need replacing. It was [delete as appropriate] a dishonest/clueless/dishonest and clueless mechanic who claimed it did. Change of fluid and the brakes (and servo) are still going fine 3 years later.

0 0 0

6. Re: Brake servo type - ATE / TRW? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No probs, thanks for letting me know. Thankfully you didn't go ahead and replace a nice working one!
    I'll have a nose about and see if I can see TRW or ATE on the servo or associated components.
    Perhaps it is linked to the whole braking system so the caliper type might help identify it too (ie the entire braking system all Lucas/TRW or all ATE - so if the caliper style is different I can confirm with that).]
    John

0 0 0