1. Re: EPB issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Just seen the useful stuff in Ross-Tech support forum for your fault.

Would suggest you check with VW spares with your VIN to check the replacement cost of your EPB module, and what the latest update version letter is. You're showing currently 3C0 907 801 J

If you're using a VW main agent service dept. their parts are warrantied for a year and the work for two years AFAICR. Get your old module back. There's some places that do repairs on them, so if changeout fixes your issues a repaired module would have some second hand value. I read that:
    CHEAP Bosch 5.3 ABS REPAIR VW Passat Audi A4 A6 A8 S4
    will also re-build an ABS controller module. Mebe worth an email if you get your old one back?

0 0 0

2. Re: EPB issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for your help and info...as usual lol

The car is with an indy vw garage: Bullen Automotive Bury | Bury Car Servicing - Mechanical Repairs - MOT Testing - Tyres & Exhaust Replacement not half a mile from the vw dealers I use for servicing but vw pricing for repais scares me (440 for rear caliper unfitted as an e.g.)

Even if the car is done today, which it should be, I can't collect until Friday morning, but will request the old module back, will also run a scan on vcda and see if it all reports back as should do...will try the 006 and 007 group test closing and opening calipers via vcds too...

Bookmarked that site, thank you for the heads up... I have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that some issue other than the ecu within the braking system is what caused the ecu to fry...I fear, but hope otherwise, that I haven't heard the last from the epb system

0 0 0

3. Re: EPB issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, just to conclude the thread and hopefully the epb saga...for the time being...

It was the ecu that had failed...no idea why, but all is resolved (for now anyway)

Here are the relevant auto scans pre and post ecu swap

Code:
    Address 53: Parking Brake Labels: 5N0-907-801.clb
    Part No SW: 3C0 907 801 J HW: 3C0 907 801 J
    Component: J540 EPB3 VW-09393 0009
    Revision: 008 Serial number: 00000000420868
    Coding: 0000057
    Shop #: WSC 05311 000 00000
    VCID: 2959ADCA803F877622-807C

1 Fault Found:
    02845 - Function Display in Instrument Cluster (!)
    007 - Short to Ground - MIL ON
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 11100111
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 4
    Reset counter: 44
    Mileage: 126025 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2015.08.26
    Time: 17:54:53

Freeze Frame:
    Voltage: 11.50 V
    Count: 78
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Hex Value: 0x1261
    Hex Value: 0x0001
    Hex Value: 0x1010

Post ecu fix:

Code:
    Address 53: Parking Brake Labels: 3AA-907-801.clb
    Part No SW: 3AA 907 801 J HW: 3AA 907 801 J
    Component: J540 EPB4 VW-63206 0012
    Revision: H19 Serial number: 00000000565277
    Coding: 0021057
    Shop #: WSC 05311 210 01865
    VCID: 387F788E4B952EFEAD-806C

No fault code found.

0 0 0

4. Re: EPB issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    I'd still be wary of the caliper motors if they have never been changed. If you have the original TRW units with the motor casing design flaw they may eventually crack, let moisture in and slowly start to corrode and seize the motor gearing inside.

0 0 0

5. Re: EPB issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh it is without question im expecting at some point during my ownership of the car the rears will need replacing...I doubt ill be getting rid within the next 7 or so years...if all goes well

0 0 0

6. Re: EPB issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The indie has changed your EPB module from:
    Part No SW: 3C0 907 801 J HW: 3C0 907 801 J
    to
    Part No SW: 3AA 907 801 J HW: 3AA 907 801 J
    And changed your coding (what functions of this module are switched on or off) from
    Coding: 0000057
    to
    Coding: 0021057

Check that this different module part number is correct for your car via dealer spares and your VIN
    I will ask Andy what's been switched on or off with the different coding

Did you get your old module back?
    Did you (or they) check your EPB motors for lengthwise crack?

Last edited by RichardSEL; 05-09-2015 at 03:50 AM. Reason: the crack

0 0 0

7. Re: EPB issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Richard,

I presumed the coding change was down to the gen 4 ecu going in replacing the gen 3 ecu and associated coding?

No I didn't ask for the old ecu, To be fair, the cost of getting it repaired in america then maybe selling for 50 quid when i could use the money to go towards the rear motors/calipers i just thought to leave it...There is a thread on ukpassats on the removal of the rear epb motors and sealing and rectifying any cracks but mine both appear to be in decent undamaged condition. However, knowing what I now do, they will be getting checked regularly

I do though, have at the back of my mind that something caused the ecu to fry...as opposed the ecu just failing on its own accord (which is possible)...in which case, the original fault is still present...but i am a pessimistic worrying type to start with

edit* just found this which explains the coding and is down to the later/newer ecu going in:

VW PASSAT 2.0 TDI 3C 2009 model help how to code EPB module

I am now engaged in establishing a pissrat specific emergency repair budget, while this fault caught me off guard, it certainly opened my eyes to the costly nature of vw fixes...and the cambelt is due in the next 6 months too lol

0 0 0

8. Re: EPB issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Yes, it's best practice to note the features switched on in a module before changing. And switch on those features when the module's been changed. Difficulties have been occuring when updating for example CANbus module from "C" to "Q" to cure battery drain issues after updating headunit. Not just copy the code from old module to new
    Gen 4 from Gen 3 eh? I must have Gen 0

Did domething happen to cause the EPB module to go faulty (but still report to CANbus) ? As Dana says in that thread, and for my earlier Gen needing a flash update, "they're buggy". If you've got no motor cracks then relax
    Last edited by RichardSEL; 05-09-2015 at 04:51 AM. Reason: relax

0 0 0

9. Re: EPB issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Far as im aware only coding needed with regards turning on or off is for abs or epb ecu if autohold fitted or not?

I think just swapping the code is sufficient if replacing part number for part number...obviously though if changing to a new/revised/whatever part then the coding will need to be reconfigured....from what i can gather from reading around this issue recently anyway...if my ecu was swapped out like for like old coding for that and abs module would suffice

Nothing happened i can detect... put key in and fault came on dash...completely out of the blue no issues no warnings nothing...was very weird

I still dont understand how the epb could operate ...although tbf the autohold did stop working so that perhaps is where the ecu comes into play?

P.s. have epb motors been known to fail while being externally visually undamaged?...

P.p.s i reviewed my dashcam footage from when the car was in the garage and what stood out of the frankly boring vid was a snippet where the technician speaking to manager said he had never seen it before...ecu failing with no motor issue... so IF it was one of those unfortunate instances of electrickery doodads failing then it must be extremely rare?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12