1. Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Put a Three 3gb/3mth sim into the dash slot on 4/4/15 and it still shows as online every time I use the car and Google maps. Would have thought it should have stopped working by now? Any thoughts.

0 0 0

2. Re: Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman58 View Post
    Put a Three 3gb/3mth sim into the dash slot on 4/4/15 and it still shows as online every time I use the car and Google maps. Would have thought it should have stopped working by now? Any thoughts.
    I have noticed that sometimes they give you a bit off leeway at the end of the term (but not a month!).

Just enjoy the free ride and have a spare in the glovebox for when the inevitable happens.
    Audi A6 (C7) 3.0 TDI S Line Quattro 245 Daytona Grey Sep 2013 -
    Audi A4 (B8) 2.0 TDI SE 143 Lava Grey 2008 - 2013

1 0 0

3. Re: Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just letting you know, I use a Three PAYG 99p SIM, with a single top-up of £30 on the PAYG 321 tarrif and mainly used for google maps, still have £26 on it 6 months on. Just in case you wanna move away from pre-filled SIM with time expiration, then PAYG works on 321 tarrif from Three and it looks like it's gonna be about £10 a year worth of google maps on 12,000 miles of use.
    2016 (B9) A4 Saloon S line 3.0 TDI quattro 272 PS tiptronic
    2012 (C7) A6 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line, S-tronic, Sports Diff. 242PS
    2010 (C6) A6 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line, Tiptronic, Le Mans. 233PS

2 0 0

4. Re: Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I got screwed by three. They blocked my sim as the mmi is deemed to be a wireless tethering device and that's not allowed on the 321 sim.
    It worked for a few months then somehow realised and it stopped.

0 0 0

5. Re: Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    I got screwed by three. They blocked my sim as the mmi is deemed to be a wireless tethering device and that's not allowed on the 321 sim.
    It worked for a few months then somehow realised and it stopped.
    Same happened to me. Only found that out when connectivity stopped and I removed the sim, stuck it in an iPad and it said it was not allowed for data access only and I had to stick it in a phone :-(

The MMI system is great, but it could be better if it was supplied with a basic browser that could be used to display those types of messages or for providing an interface for doing top-ups etc. At present you need to haul the SIM out, find a device that can take a standard SIM size (or muck around with SIM adapters) and then process any top-up or other bit of maintanence.

I will be travelling to France in a few weeks time and I've got the same issue with enabling data in Europe for a EE prepaid SIM. Works great in the UK, but once in France you need to switch on European roaming for the SIM. To do that, you need a browser. So it has to be removed and stuck in another device to process that.

0 0 0

6. Re: Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    When mine have expired previously, I have had a warning from the MMI, but only if you try going into the Audi connect part of it. I then get the notice that it's expired and also a basic browser with options to top up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

1 0 0

7. Re: Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyh View Post
    Same happened to me. Only found that out when connectivity stopped and I removed the sim, stuck it in an iPad and it said it was not allowed for data access only and I had to stick it in a phone :-(

The MMI system is great, but it could be better if it was supplied with a basic browser that could be used to display those types of messages or for providing an interface for doing top-ups etc. At present you need to haul the SIM out, find a device that can take a standard SIM size (or muck around with SIM adapters) and then process any top-up or other bit of maintanence.

I will be travelling to France in a few weeks time and I've got the same issue with enabling data in Europe for a EE prepaid SIM. Works great in the UK, but once in France you need to switch on European roaming for the SIM. To do that, you need a browser. So it has to be removed and stuck in another device to process that.
    Just turn on the wifi and connect phone or tablet to the car then open browser so you don't have to faff about with swapping sims and adapters etc

0 0 0

8. Re: Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    Just turn on the wifi and connect phone or tablet to the car then open browser so you don't have to faff about with swapping sims and adapters etc
    Doesn't work for me I'm afraid, with either a EE or Giff Gaff SIM. Browser access via Wi-fi reports "no active Data service". I've tried a multitude of combinations with no success.

M1tchy mentioned a basic browser on the MMI; I've never seen that appear either.

I honestly think it's not user error here (I work in IT and am a real gadget man; rarely beaten by tech unless it's not designed to work or a bug) - but there's always the first time!

0 0 0

9. Re: Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    It only pops up if your data has expired and the maps aren't streaming, press the top right key to go to Audi connect, then select one of the options I.e weather etc, then it loads the website of the SIM card company and let's me top up. I used to just put a new one in but now I've got a dual sim contract on EE I don't need to.

Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

10. Re: Sim expiry 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1tchy View Post
    It only pops up if your data has expired and the maps aren't streaming, press the top right key to go to Audi connect, then select one of the options I.e weather etc, then it loads the website of the SIM card company and let's me top up. I used to just put a new one in but now I've got a dual sim contract on EE I don't need to.

Doesn't work for me. What MMI S/W release are you on?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast