1. 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello people. Iv had alot of vdubs in the past, but I'm back with a old new beetle I bought it for the wife so we could both have a bit of fun in it on the weekends. I bought it and all seemed OK, long story short, stat was stuck open, bought new stat and fitted it, gets up to temp now, but runs rough at temp. Vag com shows now errors. We have changed a water temp sender, also the SAI pump valve was stuck open leaking air back an forth the exaust manifold and air box, now changed for new. Also cleaned the Throttle body,egr,maf,air box and inlet manifold, also changed plugs and leads and air filter. After all this it runs better but still not right. I have read alot about lots of issues sounding similar, I have a new cat ready but I believe the car is running very rich, I don't want to replace the cat till its right really. So my recent thoughts are towards the o2 sensor pre cat. I believe the voltage should fluctuate at the pre cat sensor and stay reasonably stable post cat sensor.

I'm not sure how to post my Torque results but the sensor in torque is labled "o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1" this seems to be stuck at 1.7v it drops when the throttle is applied heavily then off again but never below 1v. I think I should see the voltage go up an down most of the time and between lower values. I believe the "o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2" is working OK (post cat I think) I get an almost constant 0.7v and 0.0v when coasting down hill. I believe this means the sensor is OK and that the cat is doing what it should. Should I believe that the pre cat sensor may have gone faulty? I'm used to dissy caps and carbs, not this ecu run sensor bashing setup lol. But I am trying to learn. Any of you vw gurus help me get my dub right. The wife is dying to use it please any questions please ask.

Scott

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Which level of VCDS are you using? Torque is what twists the crank and the O2 sensor is the lambda reading. This is an AEH engine I am guessing?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, I have the light free version with USB cable, won't let me do alot as says trail version only, did have a few errors after we compression tested, cleared them and now showing no errors. I use torque to monitor values as vagcom won't. Its not the aeh,, it's the older 1.6sr engine I'm told, the simpler one lol

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also I mean torque app not engine torque :-P

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    "Torque app"....???? Some tool I have never heard of, one of these useless generic OBD things.

AWH or AYD engine?

You need to clear the ECU learned data in Adaptation 10 Group 00, read, save , yes and then re-adapt the throttle body in Basic Settings 060

The EGR valve may be faulty, you need to reset it in Basic Settings 074 and test it in 075 but to diagnose what is wrong you need to go through the Readiness code generation procedure which is a bit odd for this model and specific to engine code and model year. Without full VCDS you are really going to struggle and risk replacing components that are not faulty. Having said that, the pre cat lambda sensor is a good guess.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Usless.? How would you know if you haven't used it.? Seems like a great app. ObdII compliant. Allows you to see live data stream of pretty much anything the car can sensor.

My vagcom will only pick up errors, it won't clear or test anything, I can however clear errors with Torque. And then recheck with vagcom. Can I recalibrate the TB without vagcom.? And would this really throw the o2 sensor out that far.? I think the o2 sensor pre cat should show voltages around 0.4 and 0.75. Mine seems stuck at 1.75v, so I'm getting a second opinion about the reading.

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Because like all of them they ONLY pick up OBD codes and not others and they cannot perform Basic Settings, Login, Adaptation, Coding, output tests or Security Access. Even VCDS comes in for a pasting from me as it is far from perfect and I was one of the first in the UK to use it. I am always hammering away at Uwe Ross to improve it and sending him bug reports. You can't calibrate the TB without going in to Basic Settings 04 after clearing the learnt values and yes an no reset TB or EGR valve can send the engine nuts throwing up all sorts of odd air leak and MAP sensor errors. 1.75V is way lean. With VCDS you can turn off the Lambda control and use a four gas to analyse the engines running without the lambda sensor interfering. If you get hold of full VCDS I can email you the VW readiness code setting procedure, you just need to confirm the year and engine code and PM me your email when your post count is high enough.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I am looking into unlocking vcds lite to the registered version! But I have to wait a day or so for verification. But I have had a play to night. The engine check light came up at last! So red the codes (code) was for a secondary air injection pump insufficient flow! Turns out the motor on the fan isn't working at all. I have recently had to change the pump valve as it was stuck open. I noticed brown water in the pump after removal! Peirburg state this will happen when the valve fails. And the water from backward exaust venting will cause the internals to corrode. Hence the motor fail. But I believe this only affects around 90secs of start up. I have now seen that the readiness checks in torque and vcds show all tests complete but both software systems say CAT incomplete\failed. Is this due to the pump!? Any way I can check the cat before I do a tb \ egr adaption.

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    What is the year and engine type code, AWH or AYD?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.6sr running issues. Torque Data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Akl.? I think. Where can I check. It's the older 1.6sr 8v 105bhp