1. 80 Cabrio boot jammed - won't open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All suggestions gratefully received........

Loading the car for a day at Fairford at 6.30am yesterday morning I put my new (important point) coolbox in the boot of my '99 cab and slammed the lid. It was then that I learnt that new coolbox is fractionally taller than old one and the boot was now sitting fractionally proud on the left side (yes, I had given it a bit of a slam because I was in a hurry). When I try to open it the push button goes all the way in without any click to release the mechanism.

I can get my arm in the ski hole but there is nothing I can do. The coolbox is wedged tight and there are other things in the boot so I can't see the mechanism.

I have tried with assistance to apply pressure downwards on the lid etc.. but nothing works.

I cannot see any any alternative to taking an angle grinder to the lid and then sourcing another. This will break my heart.

Any thoughts?

I reckon I have 24 hours before things start to smell............

0 0 0

2. Re: 80 Cabrio boot jammed - won't open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i was going to suggest some downwards pressure. where have you been pushing, i would push in the centre above the lock. sorry, nothing else i can add that might help, hope you get it open.

edit. just a thought, is the boot on the first or second part of the catch ?
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: 80 Cabrio boot jammed - won't open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Only thought that comes to mind is if the key had been turned to the second lock position,but I am sure you have already eliminated this possibility

0 0 0

4. Re: 80 Cabrio boot jammed - won't open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for quick responses. I have tried all the key positions (I think). Despite having the car a number of years I have always used the fob. As the button goes all the way in (as it would when locked) I am concerned that I could have "dead" locked it. Is it a simple turn to the left to release? I know this is a stupid question (I'm embarrassed). If I turn the key to the right I can hear the boot locking. If I turn it to the left I assume the noise is unlocking. I'm not missing anything am I?

0 1 0

5. Re: 80 Cabrio boot jammed - won't open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    From what I remember the final locked position is with the key slot vertical,therefore it needs to be turned to horizontal,and then the button pressed fully in to release
    If in vertical position,the central locking will not work.
    Because the mechanism may not have been used in a while it may be worth while tapping around lock with soft hammer as linkages may be stiff

0 2 0

6. Re: 80 Cabrio boot jammed - won't open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    There is a procedure using the key in a set position and forcing the barrel.
    I know this is the Audi way and have seen it done successfully but cant for the life of me remember how it works
    The procedure is available on Audifans.net so if any of the rest of you are members over there, you might be able to find the procedure and bring a link back here for the thread starter.
    I would do , but would not have a clue how to that kind of thing with the computor

Stuart
    A6 2.4 SE (2000)S3 1.8T (2001)80 Coupe 2.3 (1991)
    A3 1.8T sport (1997)A4 3.0 QST (2002)
    80 Coupe 2.6S (1995)A4 Cab 2.4 sport (2002) Another 2.6 '95 coupe in byzanz purple
    '88 type 89 90 saloon kv 5 pot A4 1.8T 2001

0 1 0

7. Re: 80 Cabrio boot jammed - won't open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Problem solved. Boot open.

Firstly, thanks to all those that replied so swiftly, it is much appreciated.

So, this afternoon I resumed the battle with the assistance of my 16 year-old son. After 20 minutes I was all for going nuclear with power tools but he was intent on finding a more elegant solution.

He accessed the boot via the tiny ski hole and moved things around patiently until he announced that he had a clear sight line to the two nuts holding the boot catch. I built a 70cm 1/8" socket extension and he managed to undo them without a single swear word.

A bit of shaking and the boot popped open and there were handshakes and cups of tea and Club biscuits from the coolbox.....which was still more than cool.

It looks as if the coolbox distorting the boot was a red herring; the boot catch mechanism had broken after ~16 years of use and abuse.

I now need to find a new boot lock mechanism, but until then I have a low tech solution........

Thanks chaps!

2 3 0

8. Re: 80 Cabrio boot jammed - won't open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    well done to your son, sounds like an engineer in the making...
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

9. Re: 80 Cabrio boot jammed - won't open 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Can you please help me? I think I have the same problem. I can't open the trunk. I don't know how to get in the trunk via ski pass, I think I have a subwoofer. I think it is modified from the fabric.

Thank you

0 0 0