1. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    The Function Display fault is a general description and does not necessarily mean that the display itself is the problem but can point to a wiring issue with one of the wires inside the dash itself or with the fuse panel under the driver's side dash end panel. The ECU does not monitor every wire and therefore faults the nearest modules in the circuit (and sometimes others that have a relative relationship to the problem area) depending on electrical signals received. As your car has not had much done to it and decent maintenance I would err on the wiring being at fault somewhere around the fuse box and / or connecting circuits. Have you pulled, checked and re-inserted all fuses one by one on the drivers side fuse panel to eliminate blown fuses and bad contacts? If this doesn't change anything an auto electrician with the right testing equipment / meters may be worth a try perhaps? Check all you can and enlist less expensive help before spending on expensive modules that may not be the problem. As I have said a bad contact (wire or fuse) can trigger the Parking brake symbol on the dash which won't clear because the short circuit is always there. Make sure you have the upgraded EPB button (part no ends C I believe).

You would still need to try a code clear after reseating the fuses as the EPB warning is not a self clearing fault.

0 0 0

2. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    So took on board suggestions from Richard & DMitch16.

I connected my battery tender trickle charger last night so the battery would be in top condition.

This afternoon I disconnected the charger then switched on the ignition.
    Left it on for a minute then disconnected the battery Neg lead.
    While the lead was off I took the opportunity to clean up the battery leads & terminals then give a coat of copper grease.
    Also while the battery was disconnected I removed every fuse, including the engine bay fuses, one by one & tested, all were ok.

The ignition was still on & I re-connected the battery.
    Had a minor heart attack when I tried to start the engine & it just ran for a second then cut out.
    On the third attempt with the same result I remembered some previous info from Richard about locking the car.
    So locked / un-locked the car & it started ok, phew.

Had the Steering / ESP & Parking Brake icons up so took it around the block.

The ESP went out almost straight away, but despite stopping the car & re-starting several times, the other 2 remained on.

So seem to have taken a step backwards & can only hope the Steering light will reset itself in the next few drives, fingers crossed.

Thanks to Richard & Mitch for the suggestions, but decided as I have to drive down to London next week, it's probably best not to temp providence any further until I get back.

0 0 0

3. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    For the steering reset you don't need VCDS.

• Start the vehicle.
    • Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
    • While driving turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
    • When having the steering wheel straight again stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
    • Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
    • Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
    • System voltage at least 12.0 V.

That should extinguish your steering warning light.

(n.b. I've also done this without driving any distance: centre the wheel, turn right full lock holding the wheel there for five seconds, then left full lock for five seconds, then centering the wheel and driving forward. The steering wheel icon goes out)

But as your brake icon won't go out when you cancel the error in VCDS then there's something more involved than just module coding the diginal side of things. It is reporting a continuous fault for a reason -- could be a cable chafed against metal, etc. Next step would be to disconnect the EPB and see whether the fault reported in VCDS changes. If it does then that would give good indication that your module is operating correctly and there's a fault within your EPB motor. The motors are not economic to change by themselves. You might as well have a new caliper that comes with new EPB motor
    Last edited by RichardSEL; 09-07-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Best I can do for now

0 0 0

4. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Thanks very much for the info Richard.

I've got to run my wife up to the station in the morning, so i'll try out your instructions then.

0 0 0

5. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Taking a step back and referencing your first post I believe you will now have the same 2 fault codes as before in combination. Perhaps there is a bad / chafed wire or short in the steering column loom or between the loom and the fuse board (which will be a common item to both circuits)? If you had not left your handbrake off I would have gone straight to the EPB button or EPB motors first. I'm not sure when the TRW motors were upgraded but most B6 models with an EPB from MY2005 to MY2007 were affected by the cracked EPB motor casing syndrome and needed the rear calipers replaced. Could be that your 2008 also has the faulty units. There is extensive info on VWAF regarding EPB motors and Martin1810 has in depth information about the problem on his web site PASSAT B6 ELECTRIC PARK BRAKE - PASSAT. Mine went at 120K when car was 6 years old, first one then the other and they were £160 each from Eurocarparts with a 35% discount code applied and a surcharge which I got back when the old calipers the were returned. Both my motors had the trademark split on the casing and had seized gearing after water ingress. Hth.

0 0 0

6. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    I followed Richard's instructions, both the one turn & full lock, but the yellow steering fault light is still up.
    I didn't have a lot of room to be able to drive more than about 50 feet for the whole procedure.

So i'm going to go out later tonight when there will be more room in the car park & try again.

0 0 0

7. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Went out last night & followed both instructions to the letter, no joy.

Was half expecting plod to turn up to find out who this idiot was zig-zagging accross B&Q car park, but fortunately they must have had bigger fish to fry.
    I tried each procedure at least 6 times.

So guess I will have to get another code read to see what is going on.

But as everything is working fine, just the alarm symbols up, i'll wait till we are back from holliday before doing anything further.

I have to leave the car at Luton for over a week this time!

0 0 0

8. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Post us have a fresh Autoscan when you get back?

0 0 0

9. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    May be nothing but check your front door looms where they leave the door to enter the A pillar (under the rubber gator to make sure there is no frayed or broken wiring (you would not believe the variety of fault codes that come up with door circuit shorts). I had a short in the engine compartment which also threw door module codes because the ECU did not know *** was going on so it simply guessed based on voltage readings received. My father's Mk5 Golf had frayed wires in his driver's door loom and the short there produced a Nox sensor fault in the exhaust! (He put a new loom in and no fault codes for months now so you just need to bear in mind that the cause for every fault is not always easy to find especially if it is wiring).
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

10. Re: Parking Brake Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Update.

I managed to get hold of a replacement Parking Brake Module from a scrapped car, exactly the same part No as the original.

I found someone (Daz) reasonable close by from the VCDS map & took it over to him yesterday evening.

Fitted the new module & then we started to go through the list of things that needed to be coded & basic settings restored.
    The ABS ( 03 ) hadn't lost its coding as suggested by Ross-Tech, so he just re-input the same code which was accepted ok.
    Moved onto the G85 steering sensor & restored basic settings ok, did the steering limit stop all ok.

When he moved onto the G200 lateral acceleration sensor the value in MB 004 was within spec, it accepted the security code ok, but when he went to Basic Settings Group 063 it just showed ' ERROR ' so wouldnt take the basic setting.
    He carried on through the Ross-Tech list list, G201 & G202 sensors accepted the basic setting ok.
    There was again a problem with the G251 sensor similar to the G200 in that it wouldn't accept a basic setting.
    He could look at the sensors & they seemed to be giving live data ok.

By now it was getting dark & Daz had run out of ideas & time, so I asked him to do a complete scan, then clear all the codes that would clear, & re-scan.

He wasn't able to run an autoscan for some reason.
    He could access individule modules still ok though but didn't have the time to do that.

The only fault codes that remain are as follows which he emailed to me last night :-
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 3C0-614-109-C4.clb
    Control Module Part Number: 3C0 614 109 P HW: 3C0 614 109 P
    Component and/or Version: J104 C4 440 V2 0011
    Software Coding: 0001298
    Work Shop Code: WSC 12345 123 00001
    VCID: 2B4B22231FDE35565C92091-807E
    2 Faults Found:

01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
    005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
    01279 - Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (G251)
    005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

The original parking brake fault has now gone, although the parking brake fault light is still on the dash display together with the alarm light for stability control.
    But I am guessing these are due to the lack of basic setting for the 2 sensors above.

Has anyone come across this before or have any ides as to how to resolve.

Any ideas gratefully received as the MOT runs out in a few weeks!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast