1. Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Driving my wife back home from the hospital yesterday morning and suddenly there was major loss of power (no turbo operation), foot flat to the floor to get 40/50 mph. Managed to drive the 9 miles home, rang the VW garage (10 miles from home) who managed to fit me in to check the car. Restarting to drive over to the garage and turbo operating perfectly, best for some time (previously whistling/poor operation). Garage did diagnostic check with fault code P0234 - Turbo Over Boost Stored. Carried out test plan/final control diagnosis - vacuum ok but movement of turbo wastegate partially seized, not moving smoothly and not returning to rest position. They recommend replacement of turbo at mortgage type costs (£1300).
    Your thoughts please. As car is now driving as good as ever, should I continue or will turbo only get worse (another loss of power or worse).
    Model is 1.9tdi with just 30,000 miles on the clock.
    Many thanks
    Eddie

0 0 0

2. Re: Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Take it on the highway and give it some beans. The vnt system is sooting up from carbon deposit. Burn it out before it seizes completely. The mileage of your car doesn't warrant a new turbo.

Sent from my GT-S5280 using Tapatalk

1 0 0

3. Re: Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also. Have heard of guys removing downpipe from turbo and spraying oven cleaner into actual exhaust housing with good results.

1 0 0

4. Re: Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies doctordubs, but can you explain why the turbo stopped operating then after a short stop its operating as good as ever and how this links in with the wastegate being partially seized, not returning to closed etc. Although I'm up to speed with the vagaries of my 1933 Austin 7, the operation/problems of turbo diesels have me scratching my head (vnt system?).
    Thanks again.

0 0 0

5. Re: Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The vnt system uses a circular layout consisting of little flaps interconnected by a flat metal disc, connected to the actuator within the exhaust housing of turbo. Wer a normal turbo dumps excess gas to maintain turbo speed/boost, the vnt system changes the airstream/Airflow in the housing. Its the flap/disc system that jams up with carbon. Its a pain but this is a common problem with these turbos lol

0 0 0

6. Re: Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctordubs View Post
    Also. Have heard of guys removing downpipe from turbo and spraying oven cleaner into actual exhaust housing with good results.
    That causes the turbine seals to fail and fills the exhaust with oil which is an awful job to clean out. There is non long term alternative to taking the turbo off and manually cleaning the carbon off of the vane system.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Noted crasher, iv only heard of the oven cleaner method. Never tried it. Im a vag technician myself so id do the tear down routine anyway. Btw. Do point out wich seal in the exhaust housing will be remotely damaged by oven cleaner?

0 0 0

8. Re: Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctordubs View Post
    Btw. Do point out wich seal in the exhaust housing will be remotely damaged by oven cleaner?

well, there are 2 seals in a turbo, one in the hot side, one on the cold side, so take your pick. if you don't think it happens, then clean one with oven cleaner and see how it goes. also, if you strip one down you will see that no oven cleaner is actually going to get to where the dirt needs cleaning from, so its a pointless exercise anyway.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

9. Re: Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Like I said. Iv only heard of the exercise. Never tried nor will I. As for the "seal" if youre referring to the titanium snap ring situated between the exhaust wheel back plate and the core your gonna need more than oven cleaner to do it any harm. Iv stripped and rebuilt many....many turbos. And oven cleaner, will not harm anything on the EXHAUST side.

0 0 0

10. Re: Turbo Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh btw.....therz between 2-5 seals on a turbo depending on wat u have.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast