Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctle Odd View Post
    Why the hell is there still perception that garages will rip you off? They don't. Sure you'll get the odd garage that will rip you off but very seldom will it be a main dealer or good indie. Reputation is a big part of the motor industry and nobody wants a reputation as a rip off merchant.
    I believe this idea comes from tight fisted people. A guy with a £30k car obviously has a fairly decent job in order to pay for it and I'm sure he considers himself worth all he earns. Same guy will bitch about the price of oil or whine because you didn't change his brake fluid FOC or charged for a diagnostic scan. Perhaps garages should do servicing and repairs at cost of materials plus a penny and a bag of cheap sweets.
    I agree most garages aren’t ripping people off as in doing work that’s not required... especially good independents. I would however say that main dealers apply a premium to servicing costs because they know a typical owner feels obligated to have their car serviced by a dealer… regardless of block exemption. I wouldn’t want to cast price fixing aspersions, but it might not be an individual dealers fault either.

More power to them if they can get away with it as I’m all for the free market economy, but I’m also for free speech and would hope people can discus servicing costs here without being accused of bitching and whining

Not bad figures from the main players:

Inchcape saw strong growth in aftersales as it benefited from its investment in call centres and digital offer, including online service booking. £65.2m on turnover up 11.2% to £2.47bn. Worldwide the group saw turnover up 10% to £6.7bn with pre-exceptional profits up 18.8% to £303.2m at constant currency.

Pendragon retained its position as the largest dealer group with increased sales of £3.85bn. It accounted for 7.4% of the total MT Top 200 combined turnover of £52bn.

Second placed Sytner, which is owned by Penske in the US, grew revenue by 8% year on year to £3.2bn, and raised pre-tax profit by 18% to £64.7m.

Arnold Clark, in third slot, had a record year in 2013 with pre tax profits surging 41% to £85.2m on turnover up 17.5% to £2.9bn.

Lookers, fourth, turned in a strong performance in 2013 with pre tax profits up 27.9% to £43.9m on turnover up 19.4% to £2.46bn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Western Europe, more than one in four new cars (25.1 percent) is made by the Volkswagen Group. Group sales revenue in 2014 totalled €202 billion (2013: €197 billion), while profit after tax amounted to €11.1 billion (2013: €9.1 billion).

2 0 0

2. Re: Oil Change Prices - Any Tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mick
    99 Bora Tdi

2 5 0

3. Re: Oil Change Prices - Any Tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fest0r View Post
    I agree most garages aren’t ripping people off as in doing work that’s not required... especially good independents. I would however say that main dealers apply a premium to servicing costs because they know a typical owner feels obligated to have their car serviced by a dealer… regardless of block exemption. I wouldn’t want to cast price fixing aspersions, but it might not be an individual dealers fault either.

More power to them if they can get away with it as I’m all for the free market economy, but I’m also for free speech and would hope people can discus servicing costs here without being accused of bitching and whining

Not bad figures from the main players:

Inchcape saw strong growth in aftersales as it benefited from its investment in call centres and digital offer, including online service booking. £65.2m on turnover up 11.2% to £2.47bn. Worldwide the group saw turnover up 10% to £6.7bn with pre-exceptional profits up 18.8% to £303.2m at constant currency.

Pendragon retained its position as the largest dealer group with increased sales of £3.85bn. It accounted for 7.4% of the total MT Top 200 combined turnover of £52bn.

Second placed Sytner, which is owned by Penske in the US, grew revenue by 8% year on year to £3.2bn, and raised pre-tax profit by 18% to £64.7m.

Arnold Clark, in third slot, had a record year in 2013 with pre tax profits surging 41% to £85.2m on turnover up 17.5% to £2.9bn.

Lookers, fourth, turned in a strong performance in 2013 with pre tax profits up 27.9% to £43.9m on turnover up 19.4% to £2.46bn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Western Europe, more than one in four new cars (25.1 percent) is made by the Volkswagen Group. Group sales revenue in 2014 totalled €202 billion (2013: €197 billion), while profit after tax amounted to €11.1 billion (2013: €9.1 billion).
    The truth is people do bitch and whine. I was asked to change brake fluid by a fairly well off local farmer, I said €50.00 for the job. He seemed shocked that I would charge so much for supplying new brake fluid, removing the old brake fluid and disposing of it. I was told it was "only a tenner a litre" I suggested he go do to himself what he wanted to do to me.
    OK I was a one man operation but realistically I was making nothing out of this just doing it to try and hold a customer (you'd be amazed at how seldom Irish drivers change their brake fluid) One woman came to me several times for very small jobs like a number plate bulb or a wiper blade. She always said "thanks" and drove off until I said "thanks? my pockets are f*****g full of them" Another customer lost, must be my attitude!

0 3 0

4. Re: Oil Change Prices - Any Tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As I often said to (ex) customers, " you can't go to tesco and get a weeks shopping and at the checkout say I will sort you out for that in the next couple of weeks thanks"....

Mick
    99 Bora Tdi

1 3 0

5. Re: Oil Change Prices - Any Tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavanmick View Post
    As I often said to (ex) customers, " you can't go to tesco and get a weeks shopping and at the checkout say I will sort you out for that in the next couple of weeks thanks"....

You shop in Tescos ya big snob!

0 2 0

6. Re: Oil Change Prices - Any Tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctle Odd View Post
    You shop in Tescos ya big snob!
    I was trying to show I slum it sometimes.... superquinn all the way for me...lol

Mick
    99 Bora Tdi

0 3 0

7. Re: Oil Change Prices - Any Tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I fully support your right to bitch and whine about your former customers How about inflating your prices and employ a group of meeters and greeters to deal with complaints?

BTW, I would be genuinely delighted if more of the "premium" was actually passed on to the technicians. I feel they play on the prestige of the brand the way F1 does with their techs… come on Lewis

0 1 0

8. Re: Oil Change Prices - Any Tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I've not problems with main dealer charges, sometimes it actually works out cheaper than an indy if they have set times for particular jobs.

In the case of my profile pic car when I wanted a new front grill fitted they had a 35 min schedule to remove and refit a front bumper and it would cost me £70, the grill they'd fit FOC. Indy's on the other hand said it was a two man job and would take 2 hours at £150.

What I DO mind is when (in 2012) my Audi main dealer wanted £1100+VAT for fitting an OEM Westfalia towbar. I went to the place they get their towbars fitted (by accident) and they charged me £583 inc VAT for the towbar/bike rack and light board.

In that case I would have effectively been paying Audi £700 extra for driving my car the 8 miles to/from the place to have the towbar fitted...now THAT is an expensive chauffering service!
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 2 0

9. Re: Oil Change Prices - Any Tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Was the car outside of warranty at the time Mark? The dealer prices seem to be far cheaper once you’re not such a captive audience:

Fixed price services < Servicing and MOT < Owners Area < Audi < Audi UK

For example, wiper blades are half price and an oil service is £80 less for some reason

0 1 0

10. Re: Oil Change Prices - Any Tips? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Fest0r

Since when has the fitting of a towbar been a fixed price service item
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 1 0

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast