1. Goddamn bulb replacements 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I need to replace a tail light bulb in my 53 Bora, ok stop laughing and sending me to a *******; I can see the carpet covered plastic bit I need to get out to access the cluster, but have no idea how to get it out short of smashing it into a million pieces to do so! The other side (the one with the first aid cupboard) also has a carpet covered piece of plastic, which I also have no idea how to remove, to access the light cluster...Help!

0 0 0

2. Re: Goddamn bulb replacements 
    BIGBADBORA Guest
    dont panic its easy. the carpet is a flap covering the bulbs. use a flat screwdriver to lever the carpet out near the boot opening. press the two plastic clips in and remove the bulb holders. they can be tight but they do pass the carpet. hope this helps

0 0 0

3. Re: Goddamn bulb replacements 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All Hail BigBadBora! The problem was when I looked in the boot, the carpeting and joins are very precise, and it was impossible to tell how to get in!
    Thanks to BigBadBora, I have used a wallpaper scraper, and eased the flap open - it hinges at the wing side, and opens and fastens with velcro on the other side...i.e. near the boot opening. Same for the other flap on the other side of the car, only this time you have to open the first aid cupboard, so that the flap will open fully.
    As BigBadBora said, the lamp cluster is on 2 press in clips, and comes out easily for bulb replacement.

0 0 0

4. Re: Goddamn bulb replacements 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yup... had a similar experience about a month ago when i needed to replace a brake light.

I do have a question though.. at the bottom there are 2 holders but only 1 is currently being used.. whats this extra one for?

Not got round to getting another bulb to put in it yet.

Also... wait till you have to change the near side headlight.. lol Its a PITA!
    Formally a MR2 T-bar Turbo
    Nurburgring Easter 2005... Trip of a lifetime!
    Now a X-Bora TDi (115) Sport 6 speed in black!
    Going from gpm to mpg makes a refreshing change!

0 0 0

5. Re: Goddamn bulb replacements 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey all, ok well i have recently been working around my bora and noticed i have a cracked side indicator. I have got no idea how to get to it and replace it.... any one done this before?

Proud Owner of a - '00 VW Bora - and since Gearbox problems, soon to be a POOR Bora owner

0 0 0

6. Re: Goddamn bulb replacements 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzbitt View Post
    Yup... had a similar experience about a month ago when i needed to replace a brake light.

I do have a question though.. at the bottom there are 2 holders but only 1 is currently being used.. whats this extra one for?

Not got round to getting another bulb to put in it yet.

Also... wait till you have to change the near side headlight.. lol Its a PITA!
    I didn't even want to attempt changing the headlights, let alone the bulbs.. so i took it to a panel beater and he said that he never wants to see this car again (jokingly, of course. But i think it was because it was such a huge job to do.)

About the spare bulb socket; depending on where you live, if you look at the opposite side there will be a bulb in the socket and it's used as a rear fog light.. i believe that they come standard with the driver's side (again, depending on where you live. places like USA don't require them and don't even have a cluster for them.) but here in Australia, i've placed a bulb in both holders so i have dual rear fog lights!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Goddamn bulb replacements 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    another silly question probably
    i have just bought a bora recently, my tail light bulb also went the other day, within my boot i moved the flap to one side and only could barely get to the tail light to change the bulb, even after depressing the clips as the whole of the bulb holder would not come out

but in the event of one of my brake lights going how would i access that bulb as it is at the top as there is thick piece of trim covering it. do i have to disconnect the electrical connector at the bottom to take the whole bulb holder out?

0 0 0

8. Re: Goddamn bulb replacements 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You dont need to disconnect anything to get the whole thing out.

Its just a bit niggly in the way it comes out.. was a pain if im honest... lol
    Formally a MR2 T-bar Turbo
    Nurburgring Easter 2005... Trip of a lifetime!
    Now a X-Bora TDi (115) Sport 6 speed in black!
    Going from gpm to mpg makes a refreshing change!

0 0 0