Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How to get rid of smoke smell....

1. How to get rid of smoke smell.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought a Mk6 Golf about 6 months ago as a VW approved used. When I took it for a test there will a slight smell of cigarette smoke that the garage assured me could be dealt with by a full valet that they would do. Before I made the deal the car was valeted by them and the smell appeared to have gone.

Predictably when I got the car home the scented products the garage had used wore off within a few days and the smell was still there. They repeated the valet with the same result. As the garage I bought it from is a way from my home I didn't go back for a third time.

I've had a mobile valet company out who focused on cleaning anything that circulated air, replaced all the air filters and cleaned all the upholstery. A few weeks later....It was back. It's even more noticeable when the car gets hot as it has a black interior.

As a non smoker it's driving me crazy so I'm after any other suggestions for getting rid of a persistent smoke smell. I've bought every kind of upholstery cleaner I can find but it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix.

I know I probably should have exercised more caution when I bought the car but that's a moot point now. It was the colour and spec I wanted having been looking for a while.

TIA - Rachel

0 1 0

2. Re: How to get rid of smoke smell.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    welcome.
    now, are you a non smoker or an ex smoker. i am an ex and everything smells, even some fishing stuff i bought from ebay had a smell of fags to it, yet never smokers don't seem to notice it. anyway, i digress, you will never get rid of the smell. sorry, unless you smoke you will always notice it.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

3. Re: How to get rid of smoke smell.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Don't think you will ever get rid I'm afraid. It will be in the foam in the seats, the soft sound insulation in the doors and roof and much more.

My dad smokes and I can smell it on everything I take when I visit for days afterwards. In houses I've renovated the only way to rid it of the smoke smell was to remove the plaster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 2 0

4. Re: How to get rid of smoke smell.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What about a foam clean from a valeter.
    I remember reading something about it a while ago. They fill the inside of your car with foam type stuff an leave your car closed up for about 30mins or so. It cleans everything inside your car, from floor to head liner.
    I cant remember the name of it tho.
    2000 2.5TDI Quattro 173,000miles, just run in...Sold
    2006 TT 3.2 Quattro 40,000miles
    2005 A6 Avant 3.0TDI Quattro

0 1 0

5. Re: How to get rid of smoke smell.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Rachel.
    My local valeters have a thing called a smoke bomb. It's like the smoke machines used at a disco, but instead of smoke, they use some sort of
    air freshener into it. They set it in the car and switch it on. I think they leave it in for about an hour. Some of the things they use it for would be the likes of diesel/petrol spills, getting rid of dog smells etc.
    You should ask around to see if any of your local valeters offer this. I'm an ex smoker myself though before stopping, I did smoke in the car. Needless to say I went through a lot of air freshener after I had quit.
    Let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

Marko

1 1 0

6. Re: How to get rid of smoke smell.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, me again.

Was trawling ebay and found something of interest. It's a mini version of what I was describing above.
    Search ebay for
    saniguard professional car valeting fogger bomb.

0 1 0