1. Now it's making weird noises 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    OK, so I already have clutch troubles (as previously posted), creaking ARB bushes and knocking from the rear suspension, tonight I have a new noise to add to the list, so just wondering if anyone else has experienced it;

Sounds like someone flicking through a deck of cards, and the noise goes up and down with the engine revs. Only happens when car is in gear, revving engine in neutral sounds normal.

Has anyone got any ideas what it could be?! I'm guessing it's something to do with the transmission?
    2012 Golf Bluemotion 1.6TDI 105.

0 0 0

2. Re: Now it's making weird noises.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Release bearing I'd say

0 1 0

3. Re: Now it's making weird noises.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    OK, well that would probably make sense if there are other clutch troubles.

It only happens when the engine is hot.

0 0 0

4. Re: Now it's making weird noises.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've not updated this post for a while, but it would seem that the noise is somehow related to the air conditioning AND the clutch?!

Switching the air con on causes the noise to start, and the sound follows the engine revs, but when I depress the clutch it stops?

If I don't have the aircon on at all on a journey, the noise doesn't happen.

The car has been diagnosed with a failing DMF (being replaced this weekend) due to the ongoing bunny hopping, rough starting and shuddering when going on/off the accelerator. Maybe it will fix this weird noise too??!!

0 0 0

5. Re: Now it's making weird noises.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    That doesn't make sense.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

6. Re: Now it's making weird noises.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Drive belt flapping about? Have a look down on the belt when its making the noise, different loads on the belt with air con on, setting it off flapping, maybe alternator pulley clutch seized.
    Dont see how it could be related to your other clutch problems tho.

0 1 0

7. Re: Now it's making weird noises.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    OK, so, clutch was replaced yesterday and all the clutch symptoms have now disappeared and gear changes and going on/off the accelerator are very smooth, however the strange aircon related noise still remains.

All is fine until I switch the aircon on, and the noise begins, going up and down with the engine revs.

Very interestingly though......the garage was all set to put a replacement DMF in, but we found that the car is fitted with an SMF! The SMF and clutch disc are manufactured by LUK and have Volkswagen stamped onto them, which suggests they have been on it since new.

Anyways, I now have a new LUK clutch, and the SMF has remained.

Does anyone know if this is usual? We were hugely surprised to find the car equipped with what appears to be a factory fitted SMF. I didn't even know such a thing existed for the 1.6TDI?!

The clutch we took out was worn, and the springs were corroded, as was the pressure plate.

0 0 0

8. Re: Now it's making weird noises.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many VW's had a solid flywheel and they're interchangeable so I wouldn't read too much into that. You can buy used SMF from a Caddy for a score in a breakers. It didn't come with a SMF so this is the 3rd clutch on a 2012 car? Was the clutch on the aircon pump checked? A solid flywheel puts added stress on your gearbox

0 0 0

9. Re: Now it's making weird noises.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Cars with the CAYC engine and 5 speed gearbox were not built with a dual mass flywheel. However on cars with stop/start, when replacing the clutch, it is now recommended upgrade to DMF as with the production cars, including the Caddy which is also DMF now when fitted with stop/start.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

3 0 0

10. Re: Now it's making weird noises.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Reassuring to know that it came with a SMF out of the factory.

It doesn't rattle or make any noise, so if it was designed with a SMF I'm perfectly happy leaving it that way. I'd much rather have a SMF than DMF anyway.

I don't have any concerns about stress on the gearbox if VW have fitted the SMF as standard - they obviously know what they're designing.

Just need to get this aircon problem looked at now. I'll post back when I find out what it is.

Thanks for the help and info guys.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast