Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am new to here and don't have much knowledge.

VW Passat 2.0 se tdi Engine Code: BKP
    I changed timing belt day before yesterday in Poland with a private mechanic. Yesterday I was driving to Germany and in to 230 km engine went completely off and battery light came on dashboard. I pulled my car to hard shoulder and tried to start the car. I could hear a slipped belt so called recovery. Spoke to the mechanic and he asked me to get vehicle recovered to him. He investigated and showed me that tensioner stud has bent and came off. Yesterday night he tried to turn the engine manually and suspect engine is damaged. He is saying it cosmetic fault as stud came off and I will have to pick up all the bill for repairs.

What could be the reason stud came off?

0 0 0

2. Re: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    ether stud not replaced with a new one, or over or under tightened, or tensioner incorrectly and placing a side load on the stud, and last but not last and the most unlikely, a faulty stud.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It wasn't replaced with new one because tensioner didn't come with it.

0 0 0

4. Re: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    rule out that then, so either not torqued correctly or tensioner fitted wrongly.

0 0 0

5. Re: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mechanic just phoned two valves and head is damaged. He is saying if tensioner wasn't done properly you wouldn't have driven so far.

0 0 0

6. Re: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    so ask him what did cause it to fail. seriously, if you need to prove what happened then you would need to get a mettalurgist to do a report, but thats going to cost, but he would e able to tell you that the stud failed because.......

0 0 0

7. Re: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We already spoken to them and it will take quiet a lot of time to investigate. We haven't got much time and need to get back in UK.

0 0 0

8. Re: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is a common and well known problem when people do not follow the VW torque recommendation of 20 Nm + 1/8 turn (45°) further and even then they may snap or pull out if they have been done before so we always fit a new stud when the kit does not have one as they only cost £2.16..... On the ones we have done we have always fitted a complete new VW exchnage head due to the damage a hit causes, some of which is hidden. The heads are £1536 but fully built including new valves, cams and lifters.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

9. Re: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Just an update to this post as I've just been through the same ordeal. I replaced the stud with the new one supplied in the cam belt kit and locktighted it in. 3 miles later the car died at a set of lights and wouldn't restart.I had a friend recover the car and we found the tensioner had totally backed off due to the threads stripping on the head. It's the second belt my car has had so it would suggest the theory that the aluminium head is only good for one change is correct. VW supply a revised M10 stud as opposed to the skinny M8, so rather than using a helicoil we tapped out the hole and used the revised stud. It was immediately obvious it was a lot more secure than the old stud especially bearing in mind how hefty the tensioner is. Bottom line is if you are getting a belt changed on a TDi then get a revised stud from VW prior to starting the job, it will save a lot of heartache for the sake of a £3 stud.

0 2 0

10. Re: Timing belt tensioned stud failure and engine damage. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks for the update, my first engine experienced the same failure a year back. So increasing the size of the hole to accommodate an M10 stud is the way to go? Prior to your post I thought failure was simply due to mechanics neglect of not following the VW instructions.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast