Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    I thought that, the icon and pop up has been bugging me for 12 months, then on the last day I thought sod it ... why not... and I must admit I am glad I did, I really do like it so far..
    I found a handy little tool called GWX Control Panel which disables and blocks the W10 prompts and installation files, suppose I don't need it now that the free upgrades have stopped.

0 0 0

2. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    IMHO Windows 10 is a very, very good operating system. Secure, robust and unlike 8 it works well on all types of devices. It’s also much lighter on hardware than 7 and Vista so it’s fast. I don’t really mind about the telemetry as Apple and Google do the same and have done for years.

The only drawback is “Windows as a service” without an update opt out means you’re left at the mercy of Microsoft. You can defer non critical updates for a few months, but you will eventually have to toe the line. You will be forced to take Windows 10.5 in a few days and what otherwise would have been Windows 11 in a few years.

Let’s just hope the next versions are as good

0 0 0

3. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I think everything we use no knows were we are, look at any mobile phone....

I did notice that you can't turn off windows update, but that does not really bother me as long as the updates all work, for instance if I install service pack 2 on my old Vista desktop, Windows update stops working until I remove it....
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder
    Member of the Institute Of Advanced Motorists
    Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

4. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Well Microsoft are still are still offering the free upgrade to anyone using assistive technologies. It’s exactly the same version and no checks are made at any point

Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

0 0 0

5. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will never use windows 10. Windows 7 works just fine. I don't like being spied on, nor this tabletised PC nonsense.. Not that I have anything to hide - plus it will mess up all my work tools on my PC. That old saying springs to mind, beware of microsoft bearing gifts.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 0 0

6. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Lets face it, everything these days tells people what we do, what we buy, were we are... Mobile phones, supermarket cars, fuel points, they all have one hidden purpose ... to spy on us
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder
    Member of the Institute Of Advanced Motorists
    Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

7. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SammoVWT View Post
    I will never use windows 10. Windows 7 works just fine. I don't like being spied on, nor this tabletised PC nonsense.. Not that I have anything to hide - plus it will mess up all my work tools on my PC. That old saying springs to mind, beware of microsoft bearing gifts.
    Do you use a mainstream browser such as IE or Chrome? Do you have an email account with gmail, yahoo or Microsoft (live, outlook, msn, hotmail)? Do you run AVG? Have you been allowing Microsoft updates over the past 18 months on Windows 7? Do you use a UK based broadband provider?

You are already being spied on

If you want to properly opt-out then take a look at Linux Tails or Kali and a decent VPN such as PIA or if you don’t minds the lack of speed switch to a Tor network browser.

BTW, don’t let the shortcomings of Windows 8 put you off 10. It works very well on conventional desktops/laptops and touchscreen devices.

0 0 0

8. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Eldest came to me on Saturday (30th) and asked about upgrading to Windows 10... Nearly 20 and no common sense at all
    I'll have a look at that assistive option though if he's still interested

0 0 0

9. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fest0r View Post
    Do you use a mainstream browser such as IE or Chrome? Do you have an email account with gmail, yahoo or Microsoft (live, outlook, msn, hotmail)? Do you run AVG? Have you been allowing Microsoft updates over the past 18 months on Windows 7? Do you use a UK based broadband provider?

You are already being spied on

If you want to properly opt-out then take a look at Linux Tails or Kali and a decent VPN such as PIA or if you don’t minds the lack of speed switch to a Tor network browser.

BTW, don’t let the shortcomings of Windows 8 put you off 10. It works very well on conventional desktops/laptops and touchscreen devices.
    I limit what I have on my PC, I have various firewalls - use firefox, VPN's for work. I don't mind the ads although I block most of those too, cookies and such also - also manually install my windows updates and drivers. But windows 10 is as creepy as the new xbox spying on you with the camera.

Windows 8 and windows 10 are far too heavy, dont let the illusion of SSD's fool you. (I still weep over the loss of XP!) - they remove most forms of user control. Hide everything behind idiot panels, being in a tech job I find it a great annoyance. Say I'm coding some firmware interface etc, not great for development work.

Keep it simple, keep it windows. None of this apple-dows nonsense.

I would use linux, but most of what I work with wont work, or is too much hassle to get to work. If I was web developing I would consider it.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 0 0

10. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Windows 8 and windows 10 are far too heavy, dont let the illusion of SSD's fool you..
    Not sure what you mean by this? I can assure you they are both lighter on identical hardware than 7 (10 more so than 8) regardless of storage drive used. It’s demonstrated with various synthetic benchmarks and real world application/encoding tests. Apart from the smaller idle and Explorer RAM footprint, the lightweight GUI also makes it “feel” faster too. With the uptake of DirectX12 and further Win10 specific optimisations the gap will only widen too.

Although I agree the UWP introduced a split personality it’s actually heading in a good direction with Project Centennial (Desktop App Converter). More of a Linux based config file approach instead of central registry. 10 runs very happily in desktop mode though.

I’m not an MS apologist, I just don’t think they are any worse than any other of the large platforms. They are just being pulled kicking and screaming into a Google business model. With recent legal wins against the US government and shifting of Azure datacentres outside of US territories I’m no more worried about what they are doing with my data than any other company. In fact, I would be far more worried about running a Facebook account than running Windows 10.

But windows 10 is as creepy as the new xbox spying on you with the camera.
    I wouldn’t have any device in my house/workplace with an uncovered camera. We are on the brink of an IoT security nightmare. LG and Samsung TV’s, Google Nest and most worryingly of all, baby monitors and home security cameras have been collecting data and/or been breached recently. If you sideload apps or even grab brand new stuff from official app stores before they have been properly vetted then your mobile might be comprised already.

If you haven’t done it already then perform the following to disable telemetry in Windows 7

Remove the following updates if installed:

KB3068708
    KB3022345
    KB2952664
    KB2990214
    KB3035583
    KB971033
    KB3021917
    KB3044374

*cmd:

sc stop Diagtrack
    sc delete Diagtrack

*Task Scheduler Library:

Everything under "Application Experience"
    Everything under "Autochk"
    Everything under "Customer Experience Improvement Program"
    Under "Disk Diagnostic" only the "Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector"
    Under "Maintenance" "WinSAT"
    "Media Center" and click the "status" column, then select all non-disabled entries and disable them.

*services.msc:

"Remote Registry" to "Disabled" instead of "Manual".

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast