1. Privacy glass - the final decision 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks to all on the forum who have responded to my hopefully not too daft questions so far......

I have just ordered the following:

A6 Avant 2L Ultra S line S tronic
    Misano red with black pack
    Alcantara/leather seats
    Heated front seats
    Fine grain ash inlays
    Lighting pack
    Speed limit display
    Technology Pack Advanced

Although I've never been a fan of privacy glass, having looked at it on the Audi Configurator webpage combined with the misano red and black pack it does seem to suit it very well!!!

However, I'm a bit concerned about how much darker this will make it inside, particularly for the back seat passengers. How much darker will this make the interior, since I'll already have black seats and headlining etc.? Does it also make everything outside appear darker for the rear seat passengers?

Are there any other disadvantages with privacy glass - except for another £390!

Also, given that the FL cars have the acoustic glazing, I assume this won't impact on this since the former is just on the windscreen/front windows whereas the privacy glass is on the rear windows?

Thanks again.

0 0 0

2. Re: Privacy glass - the final decision..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    yes it will make it darker, and when you need to see out of a rear side window at a blind junction it makes it much harder, same as when you look in the rear view mirror, especially at night. however, if you don't get it and later change your mind, a proper window tinting company can do the same job in varying shades of tint which can later be peeled off if you don't like it.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 0 0

3. Re: Privacy glass - the final decision..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You assume correct - It doesn't affect the acoustic glazing in the uk (front windows only)

The privacy glass is single glazed.

(In Germany you can order acoustic glass all-round - or add single glazed privacy in the rear if you like)

I guess its personal preference really - I have chosen it on a daytona rs6 without black pack but with pano roof, because the kids like it and I am fairly ambivalent either way. But I do get why some people feel it spoils profile from the side.

If it were me with misano and black pack I would probably take it.

Maybe go to autogespot.com and search for c7 rs6 2015 (and c7 rs6) - there are plenty of misano reds there probably with and without privacy. It may help.

0 0 0

4. Re: Privacy glass - the final decision..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    yes it will make it darker, and when you need to see out of a rear side window at a blind junction it makes it much harder, same as when you look in the rear view mirror, especially at night. however, if you don't get it and later change your mind, a proper window tinting company can do the same job in varying shades of tint which can later be peeled off if you don't like it.
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Not once have I noticed any impaired view when driving mine. Perfect view through the side and rear. If it had any real detrimental effect on vision it would be illegal.
    Q7, S-line, Graphite Grey, full leather, 21 inch titanium wheels

0 2 0

5. Re: Privacy glass - the final decision..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2 0 0

6. Re: Privacy glass - the final decision..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield313 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Not once have I noticed any impaired view when driving mine. Perfect view through the side and rear. If it had any real detrimental effect on vision it would be illegal.
    there are no laws on what you can do to any windows behind the drivers head, you can paint them black if you wish. front side windows and winscreen are allowed a slight tint.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

7. Re: Privacy glass - the final decision..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have recently asked a similar question on this site. Just to confirm one thing - the privacy glass in Audi's is just that. i.e. There is no UV blocking properties in the glass as it's just coloured, (unlike BMW's sun protection glass). Therefore when I ordered my Ibis white FL A6 S-line I done a little research. I decided I wanted the look of the glass with UV protection as I have another child on the way and wanted the protection from the heat and UV rays. The Audi dealer arranged for a tinting firm that they have always used to tint the windows the day before I picked the car up. These were £240. I did it this way because if there was a problem with the tints the dealer would have sorted it for me ;-)
    You do have a choice on tint shade but I wanted to replicate the look of the Audi which I think is 15% tint. I too was worried about the lack of light in the rear. DON'T BE !. I've had my car 2 weeks now and I do not regret having them done. As someone has already said the absolute worst case scenario is you just get them removed.

0 1 0

8. Re: Privacy glass - the final decision..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    If you want shading for passengers then I suggest the rear blinds. They are on my car and I thought them a complete waste (they came as part of the "convenience pack") but I now think they are superb: beautifully integrated into the rear doors and they probably provide a greater level of shading than the privacy glass.

It's all personal preference but I hate the look of a car with privacy glass, it always makes a saloon look like a poor man's Yankee limo and an estate look like a van. It's one of those options that I am convinced is going to fall out of fashion in a few years and we will all be wondering why so many people specc'ed it.

1 1 0

9. Re: Privacy glass - the final decision..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    there are no laws on what you can do to any windows behind the drivers head, you can paint them black if you wish. front side windows and winscreen are allowed a slight tint.
    Ok, but that doesn't change the fact that the Audi fitted tint is perfectly fine to see through, day or night.

0 0 0

10. Re: Privacy glass - the final decision..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbore View Post
    If you want shading for passengers then I suggest the rear blinds. They are on my car and I thought them a complete waste (they came as part of the "convenience pack") but I now think they are superb: beautifully integrated into the rear doors and they probably provide a greater level of shading than the privacy glass.

It's all personal preference but I hate the look of a car with privacy glass, it always makes a saloon look like a poor man's Yankee limo and an estate look like a van. It's one of those options that I am convinced is going to fall out of fashion in a few years and we will all be wondering why so many people specc'ed it.
    Maybe, maybe not. I think a car without it, particularly if it has thin pillars, looks like a green house on wheels, especially an estate. Been around an awful long time to be a fad.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast