Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?!

1. Unhappy Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

I was driving yesterday to be shocked that even though I was doing 50-60 kph, the speedo was saying 0....

My rev clock does not work since I got the car and that doesn't bother me as the Mazda I had before did not even have the clocks, but when it comes to the speed, I am not able to judge exactly! This fault would definitely fail my car from passing the NCT/MOT which is due in 2 months....

However, the speedo started working again after I switched the car off and back on again. So far it looks ok but does anyone have any idea why would the clocks stop working? Audi want €500 to fit a new one and to be honest I would rather not do that...

Any ideas on how to fix it or what's wrong exactly? May I just add the car has never been hit as far as I know.
    This thread here: Strange issue with speedo? could be something worth looking at, but the fact that my rev clock is not working already hints there is something more sinister going on, I reckon?!

Cheers.
    2010 Audi A3 8P 1.6 TDI

0 0 0

2. Re: Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The white DIS has the option to show your speed if you have this.

0 0 0

3. Re: Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Those clusters do fail. There's a company called BBA Reman repairs them with a years warranty for a lot less than 500. You can fit a used cluster and have it coded but it could be as bad as yours. Maybe a diagnostic scan before spending a load of money?

0 1 0

4. Re: Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctle Odd View Post
    Those clusters do fail. There's a company called BBA Reman repairs them with a years warranty for a lot less than 500. You can fit a used cluster and have it coded but it could be as bad as yours. Maybe a diagnostic scan before spending a load of money?
    Doctle Odd, that company could be worth my while actually... When I got the car over a year ago I knew of the rev counter being faulty (would it be jumpstarting it before hand, ordinary fail or bad fuses or the matter of pushing the needle back, I don't know as it passed NCT anyway...) and was going to buy a second hand one off eBay and get it fitted but that programming scares me! Would only Audi or that BBA be able to fit it for me? When you say it could be as bad as mine you mean it could do the same thing even if I spend bucketloads of money on it? That's not fair!!

Re the diagnostic... I only have 1 key and it already gives an intermittent fault code which sometimes causes the engine to misfire (been a while since, actually) so maybe it would be connected to that? I got 3 diagnostics done in the last year and apart from Audi saying the clocks need changing no more major faults come up, related to the dash anyway.

It seems to be working now though, very strange! My Audi just loves attention...
    2010 Audi A3 8P 1.6 TDI

0 0 0

5. Re: Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I see your in Ireland there's a company in Rathcoole that repairs clusters, if your own cluster is repaired no coding is needed. Buying a used cluster for say a 2002 A4 your buying one the same age as yours or as near as dammit. The money you spend on it plus coding will repair your own.

0 0 0

6. Re: Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a crowd in Mullingar doing them too I've heard...
    Mick
    99 Bora Tdi

0 0 0

7. Re: Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And would those crowds be as good as Audi? I would like to make sure that if I spend money I won't have to do it again!
    I am tempted to fiddle with the needle myself first!
    2010 Audi A3 8P 1.6 TDI

0 0 0

8. Re: Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Audi won't repair it they will just replace with new.
    Mick
    99 Bora Tdi

0 0 0

9. Re: Rev counter not working, speedo not working, new clocks needed?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh yea I know that alright! Thanks for the suggestions chaps, I will have to turn to them (or Audi....) whenever the speedo starts acting up again - for now it seems to have come to its senses!
    2010 Audi A3 8P 1.6 TDI

0 0 0