Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello (again...) B5 drivers,

I found a coolant leak (trickle for now so not really urgent) at the back of the engine:

IMG_0430.jpg

It's the pipe at the rear flange (35):
    0c13296aa9dab244d41c2f51ef6f2afd.jpg

The part code for the flange is either 028121145E (flange; for vehicles with glow plug; heater) or J (flange with quick act.coupling; for vehicles with glow plug; heater), not sure which one I have or what the difference is.

I think the flange is okay, and it seems to be leaking from the pipe. A garage replaced the clamp (N10258101, 23-35X9X0,5) couple of month ago but the leak hasn't stopped.

So, I want to replace the pipe to see if that makes any difference. But there's no part code on the catalogue (only says "see illustration:; 819-50"). I can't really see where the other end of the pipe is connected to, but I'm assuming that it's coming from the cabin air vent circulation? It disappears under the windscreen scuttle.

Does anyone know how to find the part number for the pipe or source the pipe, please?

Thanks very much for your help.

PS. The more I look into the engine bay, the more task I find... I'm having fun playing with my car, for sure.
    '11 VW B7 Passat Estate 2.0TDi CFFB (Current)
    '98 VW T4 Transporter 2.5TDi ACV (Previous)
    '99 Audi B5 A4 Avant 1.9TDi AFN (Previous)

0 0 0

2. Re: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats the HOT feed hose that goes on up to the Heater Matrix... (It goes from the back of the head where the glow plug 'flange' heats the water up prior to going through the under tray close to the battery securing bracket, by the bulkhead and on to the heater matrix)

These do burst under pressure, as mine did last year but I was able to cut the holed section out, lengthen the hose by moving the heater matrix end closer to the end of the feed pipe which gave me an extra 1.5" to play with.

I don't know the part number sorry. If I find it I will post it as I am looking to replace all of my hoses. I believe there are dealer only parts...

PS Mine is the same car of 1998 vintage with 302,000 miles!

0 0 0

3. Re: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much Nigella,

It's really good to know where the turbe is connected to. The car is off to a garage for this and other things so hopefully they can replace the tube all together.

On a similar note, I'm wondering if replacing all rubber / braided tubes and hoses on the car to a scilicone alternative is needed at some point in its life as a high mileage car!

Thanks very much once again!

0 0 0

4. Re: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a little update on this, if anyone is having a similar issue.

I took it to a garage last week and had the pipe cleaned and new clip installed. It is still dripping and after a long distance you can notice some pink fluid stain below the pipe (on the transimission caging).

The garage is thinking, as next solution, to replace the pipe and the flange with the glow plugs (and the plugs, might as well, while they are going to work on it...). I think the flange is around £45 and maybe £5-10 each for the plugs? They didn't have the price at hand for the pipe.

As they cleaned the pipe and the leak is still present, I agreed to replace the flange as well with a new pipe just to make sure, but a part of me is doubting is it necesary?

I will report back later this week when it goes back to the garage.

0 0 0

5. Re: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I replaced the vacuum hoses with silicone ones a year ago. They looked good and for a few months and they did the job quite well...

About four months in, I started to have problems with the turbo not spooling up and giving the boost required, having intermittent boost spikes and boost failures. On inspecting the silicone hoses when hot, I found that they would collapse under vacuum and had in fact fractured in a few different places where they joined the hard plastic pipes allowing leaks.

I'd steer well clear of silicone hoses unless they are made especially for the Audi...

The other downside to silicone I found is that they can collapse when warm and your vacuum efficiency dies off quite dramatically. I have now gone back to the original braided hoses as fitted from new and all is fine.

I would suggest that silicone is fine for some applications, but as for the vacuum hoses, I would stick to the originals.

N.

0 0 0

6. Re: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Nigella for the silicone feedback. When I replaced mine, I replaced it with 3mm inner diameter silicone hose. Some OEM braided hoses are much thicker than this (e.g. the one that connects to the top of the air box). It was tricky to fit little 3mm tube on to larger diameter nipples and fitting with brutal force will definitely rip the silicone easily. So I can see them fail in these points. However, I tested the vacuum through the silicone hose from N18 when I removed EGR and the suction is strong enough. So, as long as you have the correct silicone tube with the right diameter for each route, I think it'll hold. My original braided hoses were wearing off so at least the new silicone will do a better job than that. So I tell myself.

0 0 0

7. Re: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update on the coolant leak.

Got the car back from the garage (after two visits for other jobs on oil leak and steering noise), they cleaned the pipe and "sealed" it and told me to keep checking for leaks. Well it's still leaking, and they also knew that. They said it leaks less. I said it still leaks. So, they quoted £200 for pipe, flange and labour (excluding the three glow plugs, if they need replacing). In all fairness, they didn't "charge" me for this particular job this time around (as it has been looked in January, just replaced the jubilee). But I cannot hide the feeling of bit fobbed off; I'm sure there's some misunderstanding. Maybe they think I’m a chav driving an old incontinent car and not worth their time…

So I've seen the diagram, I vaguely know where the pipe goes to (though I don't have the part number yet), I might do this myself.

Pipe, flange, 3x glow plugs. Anything I should be aware of for this task? As it sits at the top and back of the engine block, is complete flushing of coolant necessary or can I get away with draining from the flange and top up from the reservoir when I replace the parts?

0 0 0

8. Re: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I think your problem is the hose internal wall is split inside around the bulge where it goes over the 'pipe' and fluid is migrating down the internal brading to come out and drip. I doubt it is the pipe that is at fault, short of it being cracked I can't see how it would leak other than from the flange joint, and your's is from the hose to pipe joint. Only solution I can see is new hose or if you have sufficient slack in the hose, cut the end off and re secure to the pipe but it looks tight for that.

0 0 0

9. Re: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, managed to find the diagram for the pipes!

AUDI A4/AVANT [A4] (EUROPE) 1999 [ >> 8D-X-199 999]: BODY: 81950. HEAT EXCHANGER; COOLANT HOSES

f5cac1a85aca6a75d2d690b078042b6f.jpg

It must be either #2/A or #3/A.

#2/A is "coolant hose; (heat exchanger>coolant p.); return; rhd" (8D0819373M)
    #3/A is "coolant hose; (flange > heat exchanger); feed; rhd; ADP,AHU,AFN,; AFF,AHL,AHH" (8D0819371N or 8D0819371AC)

I'm presuming it's #3 that I need, but there are two part variations ("N" or "AC") for RHD AFN engine.

Does anyone happen to know the exact part number, or if there's any difference in those two?

0 0 0

10. Re: Coolant leak from rear flange: Sourcing the coolant pipe? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much Rob69,

I unintentionally used the words "hose" and "pipe" interchangeably to describe the rubber tubing. I can see your explanation and I am convinsed that it's the rubber hose at fault and not the metal flange. I doubt the metal flange can crack even at pressure. If it was a plastic flange, yes, I might suspect it, but not if it's a metal flange.

I'm tempted to cut the end of the hose, as you say and shimmy a bit to see if it's the cause, but if it's necessary to flush the coolant and bleed to do the job (is this necessary or can I just pull the hose and top up after?), then I feel I should just replace the hose all together.

I will do some more homework to find the correct replacement part and I'm pretty sure I will end up doing this myself.

Hopefully it'll be a simple removal and replacement of the tube.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast