Notices

User Tag List

Thread: That sinking feeling or how big is your caravan?

1. Angry That sinking feeling or how big is your caravan? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I expect we've all experienced that moment when the protection you thought you had in place just evaporates into thin air.

Sometimes the consequences aren't too bad, but after an absolute disaster a few years ago in France when all of the suspension collapsed (a Mercedes Benz S class, without doubt the WORST car I've ever owned); so much so that when it comes to travelling abroad now I tend to be belt and braces! I drive a recent model A8 3.0 Quattro, more to the point I now also tow a recently acquired largish caravan with it. No problems there, the little Audi warranty & recovery booklet tells me that in the event of breakdown etc my caravan, if attached to my car will be recovered at the same time in the UK.

Anyway remember the belt and braces?

I'd been trying to get an answer from the AA as to whether my caravan was included in the recovery package, and then I stumbled across the relevant paragraph in that little booklet. But I need to have cover for Europe, so I spoke to the AA again today, only to be told that the under the Audi scheme the AA will only recover a trailer or caravan less than 5.7m and less than 2.3m wide (these figures are close, but please check). NOT only in Europe, but also here in the UK.

My caravan happens to also come from Germany, and is almost as wunderbar as my A8, but it is bigger than the dimensions quoted by the AA. On checking with the RAC they also have an equivelant size limit (to the AA).

While I don't expect to have a problem with either the car or caravan, let's just agree that there are an awful lot of crazies out there, and you never know when you might need that little bit of assistance. That's the wrong time to find that with a little puff it's gone, worse still that it was never there! You're not covered and you find yourself right up that creek without even a paddle to vorsprung your way out of the problem!

So here's a message to VW Audi, if the comparatively small Caravan and Camping Club can arrange with the RAC, and The Caravan Club can do likewise with Green Flag, to recover any size caravan, surely a company the size of VW Audi can provide the same level of cover through a suitable recovery group?

0 2 0

2. Re: THAT SINKING FEELING or HOW BIG IS YOUR CARAVAN?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Maybe they think you should stop clogging our roads up driving at 30mph and ruining our countryside by parking a big white fibreglass box in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 2 0

3. Re: THAT SINKING FEELING or HOW BIG IS YOUR CARAVAN?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1tchy View Post
    Maybe they think you should stop clogging our roads up driving at 30mph and ruining our countryside by parking a big white fibreglass box in it?

Not a caravan fan then M1tchy!

1 1 0

4. Re: THAT SINKING FEELING or HOW BIG IS YOUR CARAVAN?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Oooops, was that too obvious ? Lol

Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 2 0

5. Re: THAT SINKING FEELING or HOW BIG IS YOUR CARAVAN?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1tchy View Post
    Oooops, was that too obvious ? Lol

Loads of people come to Ireland for a caravan "holiday". This seems to entail driving down narrow roads whilst wearing golfing gear and a copy of a working mans cloth cap.

0 2 0

6. Re: THAT SINKING FEELING or HOW BIG IS YOUR CARAVAN?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to disappoint you M1tchy, but never been known to clog up any road at 30 - unless of course I'm obliged to by law! The point being made is make sure you don't become a static road block because of the incompetence of somebody at Audi UK not doing the neccessary at the right time. As for ruining the countryside, I expect you've never thrown anything out of the car whilst on the move, like those othger people who discard cans, empty food wrappers, tab end etc....................

But lets not get too personal hey................

0 3 0

7. Re: THAT SINKING FEELING or HOW BIG IS YOUR CARAVAN?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    by buying a caravan it means you tend to holiday in britain rather than abroad, and more than once a year, thus boosting to economy of out of the way places like pembrokeshire. apart from the op, who is going to europe.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 3 0

8. Re: THAT SINKING FEELING or HOW BIG IS YOUR CARAVAN?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We use green flag through the Caravan Club.

0 0 0

9. Re: THAT SINKING FEELING or HOW BIG IS YOUR CARAVAN?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I always consider recovery packages offered by the manufacturer in a similar way to how I consider holiday insurance offered by banks - for most, it'll be fine but for those of us who like to make sure we're covered for all eventualities, it's rarely sufficient and thus we have to take out our own cover for peace of mind.

I agree it's a poor show for Audi though.

I'd also like to offer my support for your camping escapades - I'm a tent camper (I can usually be found in the Peak District, Wales - North & South - or Cornwall) I have a good deal of respect for caravan towers that keep traffic moving.

Not a fan of those morons that pass me in the centre lane at 75mph+ though.

Or those that insist on doing 29.5mph on anything but a motorway.

But generally, I support caravaners

0 0 0