1. Discover Pro Navigation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hiya, new member here - just ordered a Passat 2ltr GT pearl black estate with the 150dsg.

I have added the discovery pro nav (£815) as an option, but wanted to check how it actually works and connects to the Internet to use google earth, weather etc...

There is quite a lot of conflicting information online ranging from:

1) it has a hidden sim card, and connects that way
    2) it uses rsap Bluetooth (my iPhone doesn't )
    3) it can connect to any wifi / mifi hotspot.

I have an iPhone, so rsap isn't an option, so I am hoping it is either number 1 or 3.

If you can set it up to connect to any wifi, I guess I will just use one of these little wifi hotspot mifi things with a seperate SIM card

Just wondering what anyone uses, and if possible can you drop me a download link for the manual

Also, does the unit play nicely with an IPhone6, and play media from it, or does everyone use the SD card option instead?

I see that the new Skoda Superb will be Car Play enabled, and it appears to have the same hardware, so possibly an update of firmware to the Passat will do the trick? Any thoughts?

Thanks guys

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Discover Pro Navigation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I have the B8 estate with the optional 8" sat Nav, to access the internet you need to set the car to "client" mode and it will establish a connection with with any wifi / mifi hotspot, as I dont have a mifi I use my phone as a mobile hotspot.

rsap does not work unless you upgrade to premium bluetooth, also I'm not sure if the premium phone system gives you a sim card slot as in the manual it is pictured with a sim card slot between the two SD card slot. I belive that you can also plug a USB dongle into the car, however I have not been able to try this..

to access the internet you need to register your VIN on the VWcar net site and then type your unique registration code into the vehicle, to be honest I don't use much of the internet content, to me it's just a bit of a gimmick.... yep you can get the weather and news, but I get that via the radio without having to read the screen whilst driving!! it will find you the cheapest fuel prices if your in an area you don't know, however that's not a major concern as I have a company fuel card!!
    Google maps and street view are ok, but I have not found them much better that the non Google view of the satnav, for me the best part is the improved traffic data that you get, last week the car picked up that there was a road closed ahead of me, it diverted me off the route early and to my destination, this was a lot quicker than following the signposted diversion that the council had set up..

I have not got a Iphone so hard to comment however I use a galaxy S4, with the car and it works ok, don't stream music from the phone as I still have an ipod connected via the USB

hope that's of some help.

Chris

0 0 0

3. Re: Discover Pro Navigation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Chris - that helps.

I am planning to use a mifi type thing that just stays in the car, as both myself and wifey will be driving, and don't want to go through the hassle of pairing multiple phones / hotspots.

This should also allow the car to use the Apple watch app, as I assume you can access it remotely on the carnet interface ?

0 0 0