Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Ask ANY turbo manufacturer what they see when they strip down a turbo that has been treated with a water based oven cleaner. ANY metallurgist or person with a little experience can tell you that stripping a tool steel shaft with caustic and leaving water in there afterwards is going to cause corrosion. Yes, a turbo re-manufacturer such as Midland Turbo is going to be biased about the correct way of doing something, but I trust their judgement and so far I have had a 99% ish result from them.

I can tell you for sure that a diesel engine produces turbo shagging soot with or without the help of an EGR system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Contrary to what Crasher has said I've got my ear to 4 VAG forums and no one is moaning about Mr Muscle is killing their turbo .

And we wouldn't have to do a decoke of the turbo if it wasn't for an egr recycling sooty exhaust gasses .
    One of my mechanics had to remove his turbo and have it rebuilt after two oven cleaner treatments saw it fill his exhaust with oil. Since shutting down his EGR and rodding out his cat he has had nothing but trouble with his turbo filling with soot, he won't listen either so he can suffer like the rest of you! At least when he fixes my customers cars he does what he is told to do and those people have no further problems.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 2 0

2. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    So how long after Mr Muscle treatment does it go ?
    0 1 0

3. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Matt, one of my mechanics, did his three times (not twice as I said) and after the third go, the exhaust side seal let go a few weeks later. It varies considerably and those people who flush the chemical out with a solvent (as the Innotec kit provides) don't seem to have the problem. To be honest though, the process just doesn't work whatever you use. I did one on an early A3 and it made the vane system jam solid where it was only sticking before. Back in 2003 I tried the Innotec kit on my friends Octavia but it made little difference and when I opened it up, all the cleaner had done was to wash away the light soot, it had hardly touched it. The only way to remove the baked on deposits was by buffing them off with a bench grinder wire wheel.

I sprayed some Innotec cleaner directly onto half of the contamination and left it overnight and when I rinsed it off you could not see where it had been done. The thing is with the treatment is that the labour time is nigh on half what it takes to remove the turbo in the first place and having someone like Midland Turbo rebuild it is very affordable.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 3 0

4. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    "I always offer the proper suggestion of strip and clean .

But there are those not mechanically minded , scared or lazy.

Then there are those who quite like the idea of inserting something by inches into a hole and squiting a corrosive substance ."
    There is s lot of very strange people out there Gazwould........... who are doing even stranger things...
    0 1 0

5. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    A turbo failure could be a coincidence much as a remap and failure not long after .

Ok Mr Muscle doesn't work for everyone but you make out that it doesn't work at all where there are countless happy reviews on many forums .
    0 1 0

6. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Crasher,
    how about removing the turbo, as shown in your pic, stripping it down and then using mr muscle on it? Giving it a good clean up afterwards? I presume that there are no new cleaners out there, or else you or some one else would have mentioned it?
    I take your point about the economics of replacing it with a new/reconditioned one. A local shop near me in their advertisement are quoting " Reconditioned Turbos fully guaranteed, prices starting at €250.. Fitting extra, if required" Does not give a specific price for an Audi A6 1.9 Sports, but I imagine max €350. But if you can depend on it being trouble free for 100'000 Miles, its a cheap fix.
    0 0 0

7. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    As I said, that picture was after it had firstly been injected with http://www.innotecworld.com/products...hp?productid=6 which is far more aggressive than oven cleaner and then when apart, sprayed with it and left overnight. The burnt deposits are so strongly aheared, only physical abrasive methods such as bead blasting or high speed wire bushing will work. I used to do all my own this way but from Midland they come beautifully rebuilt, look like new and have a warranty so we just find it an all round better process getting them to rebuild the old unit for us.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

8. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I get frustrated by people who **** up their cars emissions systems, not purely because I am an asthma sufferer and NOX emissions are a know trigger BUT also because the interfering meddling busy body ***** in Brussels see the figures from the air monitoring stations doted around the UK and see for themselves the rising figures and deduce from these that their previous efforts (EU1, 2, 3, 4 and 5) have not worked so then plan the introduction of more punitive measures such as EU6, 6.1 and 6.2 which are going to cause all of us trouble, if you thought EU5 and the DPF were traumatic, wait until EU6.2 comes in! You also get screw up's like in the news last night where VW have been caught with their software around their ankles as their cars were having trouble passing EPA laws in California, which are the worst anywhere and the ones that the EU look to for inspiration. The whole thing is getting out of control due mainly to people removing emissions devices. A proposal (now abandoned) to drop the M1 speed limit to 50 around Sheffield raised section were specifically thought up due to the levels of NOX emissions emitted by cars with deleted emission systems. Basically, those people **** it up for everyone else who drives a petrol vehicle or non illegally modified diesel, it is a typical example of the rule of life which states that the minority **** it up for the majority....

Mr Muscle ***** the turbo exhaust side seals up by causing rust due to it's caustic and water content, I have had an innumerable number of them in with this and reports back from Midland Turbo's sating that there was corrosion damage to the spindle consummate with their experiences of people using oven cleaner instead of especially designed chemicals and their post treatment flushes that do not contain water but still don't work long term. When the turbo side seals fail due to this, the clean up costs are huge as getting a couple of litres of oil out of the exhaust system takes hours and litres of expensive TFR.

It is illegal under EU law and as far as I remember Ireland is a member of the EU is it not?
    Latvia is an EU union country... I blanked the Egr valve and the 2nd year pass the technical inspection, it is legal

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
    0 0 0

9. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    EU law and the relevant inspection (which varies by country) are not always the same thing... just because your car passaes a sub standard technical inspection does not make it legal under EU law and this post is five years old plus I don't really care what happens in Latvia!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    EU law and the relevant inspection (which varies by country) are not always the same thing... just because your car passaes a sub standard technical inspection does not make it legal under EU law and this post is five years old plus I don't really care what happens in Latvia!
    I don't care what happens with you too, and I don't care have old is the post, just don't cry too much.... That's it And I can't remember that I askt you to care abough Latvia or other country.... I just write my location and that the egr delete don't affected my cars inspection..... If the exhaust gasses readings fits in to limits, then its OK......

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crasher; 22-01-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    0 0 0

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456