Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So apart from the following :-
    FOA,BJK,U1D,X2B, 1N1, 8G1 9GO AND 6R2 IT HAS ARMREST, 3YO,DOES NOT HAVE REAR WINDOW BLIND, 4K4,TINTED GLASS YES,1SA, ENG PROTECTION GRILL, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS. .Most likely these ones are for varients.
    Everything else is spot on. Loads of information there. Thanks a lot Crasher.
    1 0 0

2. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi fishybusiness, one of the reasons my A6 was traded in was because it was starting to overheat,,,,so first thing I had done was new thermostat, water pump, and as a matter of standard operating procedure, new timing belt, change all oil's, inc gearbox and all filters,Air, Pollen, Oil, and Diesel. The milage at this point was 135000 miles, but after all this was carried out, I discovered another entry in the service manual,saying "Full Service carried out at 132000 miles. ...." but anyway, better safe than sorry. Since then I have driven it more than 400 miles, and found no major faults. ...like yours, slight smoking on acceleration, but this quickly clears.I am still trying to contact the former owner for a bit of more detailed history.All lights and gauges are spot on, no warnings of any kind.....long may it continue like this. If there was one thing I would be concerned about is at time's ,and not very often either, slight judder when moving off,,,,feels like engine or gearbox mounting on the way out. .....could also be from the clutch. ....have to wait and see now until I get back home again. Of course it could be something else entirely too,just feels like mountings to me And after covering 400plus miles, what do I think? Lovely car to drive more comfortable even than the family car, 2014 Skoda Octavia!1.6 diesel, So, roll on the next few months and I get home for round 2. !!!
    0 0 0

3. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    You've reminded me of something - mine used to judder when setting off, seemed worse when cold and I used to stall it sometimes - just a tad embarrassing!

Couldn't work out what the problem was, after about 6 months of ownership decided to deal with the front suspension rattles and groans. Gearbox bearings started to get really noisy really quickly - 6 speeder, so it had to come out. Long and short of it was that I changed the clutch/ flywheel and front arms and the judder went away.

Clutch was worn but didn't look failed or warped in any way, that would have been my first guess as cause of the judder, did the worn suspension bushes contribute? Don't know to be honest, after reassembly all was ok. Be worth checking mounts and bushes before committing to a clutch fault.

The smoke I referred to was on startup - blue smoke, clears after a few seconds, always get black smoke when accelerating hard.

Yes, comfy and great on the motorway - I fitted cruise to mine, didn't come as standard, should have been standard fitment on these cars.
    1 0 0

4. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Egr disable or delete and 2 Stoke helps with producing less smoke .
    1 0 0

5. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi again fishybusiness, the clutch feels fine,without any slippage,. When its parked and in neutral, if you give the accelerator a slight nudge, you can feel the engine and body twisting with the torque it produces, it's some engine for a 1.9. While it's at home on the motorway, it handles surprisingly well on the local back roads,considering its size etc.Amazing car all round, any of my friends who have driven it were very impressed. The retro fitting of the cruise control, did it present any major problems? Would be something to think about for the future.
    The suspensions and arms all seems to be fine, no knocking or banging, and keeps a very straight line on the steering,no drifting left or right. Like wise,no gearbox whining, so may be lucky there too. Was it a big job to do the bearings? Main shaft bearings, I suppose? But I will take your advice about checking the front bushes etc first,and see hw I get on with that. For the moment, the smoking does not bother me too much....passed the nct 3 weeks ago, so happy enough with that for now.
    Thanks for your helpfull advice,
    1 1 0

6. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Gazwould, I see EGR mentioned in these forums, ,,,,but am not really familiar with them. What's the advantages of removin it? And is it a big job? Meaning computer resetting etc after the mechanical bit is finished? And its 2 stroke oil as used in lawnmowers etc,you speak about, to be added to the diesel when filling up? How much to add? The smoking doesn't really bother me too much TBH.....if one of us has to smoke better the car then me....😊
    0 0 0

7. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    2 simple things , egr disable is pull egr vac line and plug it , optional is a slip in blank between exhaust manifold and egr feed tube .

Benefits are the exhaust gasses that pass to the egr are now driving the turbo for an earlier spool , low gear drivability is increased , and no eml for you as OGE .

Engine oil stays cleaner for longer and less soot out of exhaust as it's not rebreathing its own soot .

2 Stroke , use JASO FB spec commonly found in Asda etc .

Dose 250 ml to a tank it works because it's adding lubrication to low sulphur fuel and cleans because it contains detergents.

More info here
    Effects of 2t oil added to diesel cars.

Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negative impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with Teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphur contained) diesel.
    The engine-research centre of a well-known German car manufacturer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
    The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
    BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homeopathic doses of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
    Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burns cleaner as the diesel itself.
    In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clog, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
    More information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongst others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
    The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
    The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
    Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the mileage by 3-5%.

Also increases diesels cetane number .
    1 0 0

8. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Disabling your EGR is illegal under European Law and an environmental crime, it massively increases NOX emissions which are the main cause of the current diesel hate campaign and it increases fuel consumption.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

9. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    They are focusing on NO2 Nitrogen dioxide not NOX .

I'll have to remember my enviromental crimes of a decated , egr disabled AVF next time it hits 60 mpg , lol .

They should arrest instead people that see 30 mpg because of old thermostats and coolant temperature sensors .
    1 0 0

10. Re: 2003 Audi 1.9 TDI AVF Engine Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Gearbox was rebuilt - not by me, all bearings were replaced.

Cruise - you can buy the stalk with wiring attached in the UK, or maybe get one off a scrapper. Wiring was a pain to work out as the diagram was rubbish. Lots of reading and I sorted it - need to remove the cover from ECU drivers side plenum. No biggie, easy to do, if you do get around to it I'd be happy to lift lid on mine to write down the wiring connections......

Re judder, you may just have a worn bush or two, or a mount I guess.

EGR - there is debate all over the net, I cleaned mine last year and this year decided it was past it. Replaced mine rather than delete or disable, really as I like quicker warm up for short journeys. Quite happy with a new valve fitted.
    1 0 0

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast