Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Wobble / judder on idle issue.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can someone please confirm my thoughts on a issue I'm having with my 2lt TDi engine ?
    2006 A6 BRE engine, covered 130k
    On idle I get a "wobble" feeling every 2 ses or so from the engine, revs stay constant.
    Friend of mine suggested engine mounts, I'm more inclined to think it's the clutch/flywheel (still on original) due to the mileage it's covered now.
    I had a remap back in Jan just after I purchased the car, it seems to have lost some of it's "punch" that it had back then.
    It still pulls well but not like I remember it too, again pointing in the direction of my clutch suspicions.
    Is the juddering/wobble a classic sign of the clutch/flywheel on it's way out ?
    No error codes or engine management light.
    Some other Audi owners have also mentioned injectors ?
    MPG is still fine so that would rule out injectors yeah, along with no EML light ?

If it is the DMF/clutch then where is the best place to buy a new one ?
    Would I be better off with an uprated one Vs the cost of a standard one ?

0 0 0

2. Re: Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I have a 2007 2.0 TDI BRE which has what you describe.

A bit of digging I found what is causing this issue. (I stand to be corrected)

Its a timing issue apparently. What I've read is the the engine timing required for optimum performance of the DPF can lead to this "wobble". The timing can be advanced to alleviate or cure it but it may effect the operation of the DPF. I had a timing belt done by audi about 10k miles ago and immediately after it was done the "wobble" was notably diminished but not gone.

If engine mounts where gone id think you may see/feel it through the gear lever.

Clutch/DMF is only when you are releasing the clutch as it bites......when you have that you'll know it. I've had clutch/DMF replaced and the b*****d is starting to do it again about a year later.

1 0 0

3. Re: Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Mine has done this since I bought it almost 5 years & 130,000 miles ago (a 56 plate 2.0 TDI BRE engine) . It's now on 181,000 & still does it. Revs sit still at 950rpm, but it feels like the car is sort of shivering & you can feel it through the gearstick. Never caused me any problems. Mine doesn't have a DPF though & still does this. I always just thought it was a characteristic of this engine - it ain't the smoothest or quietest of engines, but a hell of a work horse. I hadvmine remapped to 178bhp,mwhich is an option for you. It'll never be a racing car, but gives you that punch for overtaking when you need it.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

4. Re: Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mines non DPF too, so I believe being a 2006 ?
    I think from 2007 they had DPF's
    I'm comparing my engine to a friend who has the same lump in a 2007 A4, and his is smooth on idle, no judder, wobbling, nothing at all and he has 170K+ on the clock.
    Could it be that the DPF smooths out the idle I wonder ?

I've had a remap, running 170ish, and as you say "it's no racing car" but it's great fun with the increased torque LOL

My revs on idle aren't as high as yours, I'm sitting around 880ish, wonder if that could be related ?
    I might get in contact with Storm Developments, who did the remap, get it plugged in and see what's what.

0 0 0

5. Re: Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I suppose it could be dpf related, but I'm no mechanic. Would be good to hear from a number of other 2.0TDI owners who could say whether they have dpf & whether they get the shake, plus what level their engine idles at.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

6. Re: Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Hmmmm if its lost some of its punch since January after its remap, then sometimes you have to go back to basics.

Diesel filter changed, air filter etc.

Have you ran a scan like VCDS or even an autel VAG505 ?

This might throw up an intermittent fault rather than a hard fault.

Have you held it in 2nd gear for a few hundred yards and booted it, holding it just under the red in revs ?

An additive in the diesel ?

0 0 0

7. Re: Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Checked with my friend, the A4 owner, and he has a different engine code to mine, his is a BRD rather than the BRE that mine is, not sure what differences they are ?

I have a OBD reader and torque pro app and that hasn't shown anything, not sure it would show "proper" faults any hows.

I do have access to a proper scanner so will get on the case.

I'll also contact the mappers and see what they say.

I have a service reminder that keeps popping up, on start up, 500ish miles to go, perhaps I'll do the service early.

I'll try the 2nd gear thing tomorrow and report back.

0 0 0

8. Re: Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi
    Mine have same issue (2007 2 TDI bre engine dpf) only 92k on clock this engine is a real pain in the a***
    Same issue as you plus for me some light smoke have been told can be the EGR valve .
    When engine cold is wobble a bit after 30mn of driving (hot engine) car start to wobble badly make it impossible to drive.
    My first 2 month with it new cylinder head as been fitted and full gear box rebuild by A1 transmission .
    Diesel filter and MAF change too and now this wobbling.

0 0 0

9. Re: Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Covered in this thread...no definite conclusion but note the posts by a8tech regarding exhaust cam timing, erg flow, software versions etc. etc.

Lumpy BRE engine
    Last edited by c4a5er; 03-05-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Delete a word

0 0 0

10. Re: Wobble / judder on idle issue..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had this problem since buying my current A6. I've had the timing adjusted twice and various 'damaged' pipes replaced in the engine but it's never been cured. I only get the judder when the engine is cold so I'm prepared to live with it.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast