Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I have a 2005 1.4 16v petrol beetle that I have just changed the timing belt on and am now getting the following code on a sealey OBDII reader:

P0340 $10 Camshaft position sensor A circuit Bank 1 or single sensor

I know that the belt is a tooth space out but the question is which way??

Do I need to have the error code read by Volkswagen, i.e. will they be able to determine whether its advanced or retarded?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Cam position sensor after timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The sensor could have been damaged when you were changing the belt. Did you change the exhaust belt too? If you set it on the timing marks they will show you if something is a tooth out, did you use the locking tools? VW's don't like the tipex method

0 0 0

3. Re: Cam position sensor after timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Yes I changed the exhaust belt and made a locking tool to lock the two cam pulleys in position. When I came to fit the belt around the crankshaft and up to the camshaft pulled I had to tweak the camshaft pulleys as the teeth didn't quite line up. I'm assuming I moved them a tooth space out.

Is damaging the sensor a possibility then, I don't know where it located.

I'm assuming the belt can be a tooth space out and still run ok.

Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: Cam position sensor after timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it's set up right it won't be out a tooth so something wasn't quite right. The locking tools aren't dear or maybe you could borrow some and try again. the sensor might just have failed I think it's behind sprocket can't remember off hand

1 0 0

5. Re: Cam position sensor after timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks but what stops me from having the small belt between the two cams aligned correctly but the timing belt between the crankshaft and the cam belts out other than the timing mark on the crankshaft though? I think that's where the problem may lie.

0 0 0

6. Re: Cam position sensor after timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=TheWanderer;957648]Hi,

Yes I changed the exhaust belt and made a locking tool to lock the two cam pulleys in position. When I came to fit the belt around the crankshaft and up to the camshaft pulled I had to tweak the camshaft pulleys as the teeth didn't quite line up. I'm assuming I moved them a tooth space out.

Is damaging the sensor a possibility then, I don't know where it located.

I think maybe you had to tweak your cams to get the belt on because your crank had moved slightly or you took out the pins when the exhaust belt was off and they moved. The locking pins should be the correct diameter and fully home to prevent the cams moving or being slightly out and the crank marks double checked during and after the belt is fitted with no slack in the drive side of the exhaust belt or main belt once fitted but not yet tensioned.
    Think you need to go back to setting crank to TDC and relocking cams and refitting the belts. PITA as you need to remove the mount and crank pulley and covers again.Did you change the water pump while you were inthere? Worth doing if you didnt.

1 0 0

7. Re: Cam position sensor after timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks that sounds about right to me, yes I changed all the pulleys and the water pump. I'm worried now that I won't get the alignment correct, but I guess if the locking tool is a tight fit, the alignment holes on the pulleys are in line and the crankshaft is on TDC with the belts having no slack I have a fair chance. Pity I have to fit it all back together before the sensor tells me wether its all lining up!! Oh well I'll buy another crankshaft pulley belt and have another crack.

I'm assuming because the car is driving fine that being a tooth space out is not affecting anything other than the cam position sensor reading.

0 0 0

8. Re: Cam position sensor after timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You don't need a belt!

1 1 0

9. Re: Cam position sensor after timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry meant bolt!

1 1 0

10. Re: Cam position sensor after timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    You might notice dip in economy or risk burnt or clipped valves depending what is out, advanced or retarded. Dont delay checking it just cos it drives ok.

1 0 0