1. RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone upgraded their passat to an RNS510 and what coding did you have to do, if any

0 0 0

2. Re: RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBrown View Post
    Has anyone upgraded their passat to an RNS510 and what coding did you have to do, if any
    It's Plug 'n Play if you have a Passat with a later level of CANbus module -- later than revision "E". What year have you got? You can see what CANbus you have in VCDS. Or by reading its numbers on the module itself which is located (on RHD cars) behind the climate control panel. Take care if removing that panel if you have Climatic system as that has a bowden cable attached to it which is difficult to re-locate into correct position again when replacing.
    **SOLD** '06 B6 Passat 2L tFSI SEL 3c5, 232 bhp, Geba metal water pump, GlowShift boost & oil pressure gauges, paddles, powder-coated black Chicago rims yellow calipers, JVC KW NX7000/E sat nav DAB BT Ripspeed sub reverse cam, hi-line MFD, MFSW, Skyline tails, Laminex fogs, LEDs, indicator DRLs, Philips X-tremeVision heads, PowerFlow chrome exhaust, tints to rear, vanity VRM, TPMS, power-fold dimming mirrors, brolly

0 0 0

3. Re: RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It does work and sounds good but I've added an external amplifier so I need to recode the system so that the RNS510 doesn't pre-amplify the signal. I also had to recode to get the nav instructions on the MFD

0 0 0

4. Re: RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    AFAIK you can't use a low-level external amp with VW-OEM headunits. Only a high-level one that will accept low impedance (high level) inputs such as designed for speakers. Same problem for a sub -- there's no output for one unless you get one that accepts high level inputs

This is in contrast to aftermarket headunits that do provide all the options -- this, the CANbus update, and other restrictions caused me to decide on a JVC DAB etc. back in 2009 that's still in use today

0 0 0

5. Re: RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have an Audison 8.9 that takes its input from the speaker out of the RNS 510.
    Are you saying I don't need to recode the unit?? I was under the impression I had to use VCDS to drop 'output stage power 26 dB” to “output stage line-out 12 dB'

0 0 0

6. Re: RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Further my last just had a look at the configuration codes for RNS510 and there are coding options for audio correction, for Dynaudio, and for Active Speakers. If you've already bought your amp and it's only got low-level input you could try the Active Speakers coding option. But I think the VW-supplied Dynaudio factory option took hi-level inputs. The Ross-Tech wiki doesn't say whether Active Speakers drops output to Line Level. But given that active speakers means with an amp, hopefully that'll do it for you
    VW Radio Navigation System (RNS510) - Ross-Tech Wiki

If I find the Dynaudio conversion notes I had (have changed PCs) I'll look it up

Last edited by RichardSEL; 21-04-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: correct RoW label file - Long Coding

0 0 0

7. Re: RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Richard, orders the VagCom stuff today so I can have a play tomorrow. I'll 'hopefully' provide a definitive answer on what coding results in the best sound (or muck up everything trying).

0 0 0

8. Re: RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok coding done and here's what I've found:

Coding needs to be changed to VW sound system - this drops the internal amping of the signal (my amp has therefore compensated by decreasing Vrms on each input to 4.0V)

No speaker monitoring

Active speakers

This sounds a lot better and there are a lot less problems with bass when you turn the unit up. Distortion is also non existent and you can use the full volume range so I'm happy with this and would definitely recommend it.

If you're getting someone else to code your unit you can also remove the restriction that prohibits you from inputting an address above a certain speed.

0 0 0

9. Re: RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Glad you got it working. Post a pic of your final install?

0 0 0

10. RNS510 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not a lot to show really, it's pretty much a zero on the chav scale..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430132460.485111.jpg head unit has been coded to give the Premium skin

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430132523.532741.jpg audison 8.9 under passenger seat, can only be seen if the seat is pushed right back.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430132558.728748.jpgJL microsub secured to back seats via Velcro. I've used the JL audio app and this position gives the best dB rating

The AP1D mono amp is behind the boot panel so you can't see it. Boot lid covered with dynamat, as are the front doors.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430132948.972961.jpg
    This is the software running on a laptop which allows you to customize the whole system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast