1. Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, recently swapped my xr4x4 for a mk2 1.8 Scirocco, got it with the clutch being really hard to operate, as in you had to brace yourself in seat!
    bought a clutch kit and fitted it this morning, problem is its same as before. But! I noticed that when you take the slack up in the cable (new), there is only a few mm left for the arm to operate before it hits the engine mount.??
    Could do with a pic of how the wire circlip holds the plate and might sound stupid but should it have a release bearing of some description?
    Seems odd because when you move the clutch arm by hand you can feel the pin from gearbox hit the diaphram? but it has about run out of adjustment then.. Any ideas, pics, help pretty pleas..

steve

0 0 0

2. Re: Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You didn't replace the release bearing when you did the clutch?

0 1 0

3. Re: Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    its a long time since i worked on one of these gearboxes, so from memory, well yes, there is a release bearing and i think you remove the steel cover over the end of the box to access it.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 0 0

4. Re: Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    hey doc, its the old mk 2 box where the release arm is in the end of the box and pushes a pin out of the end of the mainshaft and onto the centre of the clutch which is like a plate. a well wierd and confusing system, but the bearing runs in oil and isn't replaced usually.

1 1 0

5. Re: Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there wasnt anything resembling a release bearing when we removed box/clutch, and the kit we had was exactly same, never had anything to do with these odd clutches before so wasn't sure if they had one?

0 0 0

6. Re: Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    hey doc, its the old mk 2 box where the release arm is in the end of the box and pushes a pin out of the end of the mainshaft and onto the centre of the clutch which is like a plate. a well wierd and confusing system, but the bearing runs in oil and isn't replaced usually.
    Ah I remember them now, release bearing under the end cover

0 0 0

7. Re: Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    but theres a pin isn't there, pokes out the mainshaft and moves when you press the pedal, and the clutch is all about face, being behind the flywheel.

2 1 0

8. Re: Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the rod is straight and you may as well change the release bearing too. I think the end plate is single use but it's only about a fiver.

1 1 0

9. Re: Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for info guys, i will measure push rod tomorrow after i've taken box back out, been told they wear very quick once the hardened end is worn..

0 2 0

10. Re: Help! Clutch problem. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you don't need to remove the box, just lower it enough to get the end plate off. You might need a magnet to pull the release bearing but it's all easy. Like my colleague Zollaf I'd forgotten about those style of clutches (and how much I hated them)

1 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast