Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Enable P21W Daytime Running Lights ( DRLs ) on a VW Passat CC 2008 ?

1. Enable P21W Daytime Running Lights ( DRLs ) on a VW Passat CC 2008 ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Subject question : Enable P21W Daytime Running Lights ( DRLs ) on a VW Passat CC 2008

Can anyone help with information on how to enable the P21W Daytime Running Lights ( DRLs ) on a VW Passat CC 2008? I’ve already had an extensive search of many VW forums on this topic.

The car was imported into NZ used from Japan. I did not notice that the P21W DRLs were not working when I first purchased the car. I suspect the original Japanese owner may have had the DRLs disabled in the vehicle coding by the dealer for “cosmetic” purposes. The P21W DRL lamps have not blown, there is no measurable power going to them, and there is no “lamp fault indication” in the MFD. As DRLs are a safety feature, I can’t imagine VW would install all the hardware and then not make it available or configurable to use.

The car is VW Passat CC, model year 2009, fitted with Bi Xenon HID Headlamp assembly with integral H7-55W Cornering Lamp, P21W Daytime Running Lamp, and W5W side-marker lamp.

See attachments;
    - pdfs of VCDS screen shots up to Byte 6.
    - HID Headlamp with Cornering Lamp Assembly Overview” - the P21W Daytime Running Lamp is item 4 in the assembly overview.
    - “Gas Discharge Headlamp (BiXenon) Wiring Diagram No. 22/1” shows wiring exactly as installed in this car.

There is no separate fuse for the DRLs – each headlamp assembly is powered by a 40A fuse, SC5 & SC8.

No menu options to enable DRLs under MFD: SETTINGS \ “Lights & Vision”. Cannot enable DRLs using combinations of turn and headlight flasher.

No option to enable the P21W Daytime Running Lamp in any of the VCDS Release 14.10.1 coding options. PDF attached of VCDS screen shots from “09 Central Electronics \ Coding -07”. up to Byte 6 - I have screen shots of all the Bytes under Coding 07, but I can only attach up to 5 items to this post, so at this stage can't put up shots of Bytes 7 through 24.

Selecting Byte 0 Bit 3 “Daytime Running Lights (Scandinavia) active” turns on HID low beam, Front side lights, & Rear tail lights when the engine is running.

Selecting Byte 0 Bit 4 “Daytime Running Lights (North America) active” turns on HID low beam only when the engine is running, park brake is off, and in Drive gear.

Is some “manual coding” of VCDS required to activate the P21W Daytime Running Lamp in the VW CC, rather than just checking an option box? If yes, can someone provide instructions and screen shots of the relevant VCDS coding pages?

Or is a firmware update for the vehicle electronics required?

Or is the dealer VAS 505x series diagnostic tool required to enable this function. If yes, can someone provide screen shots of the relevant coding pages? (I have spoken to a VW dealer about this, and got what I thought was a brush off answer. Maybe I spoke to the wrong person ….)

For the meanwhile I have selected Byte 0 Bit 4 “Daytime Running Lights (North America) active” with HID low beam, and Byte 20 set to 100%, , but I would prefer to use the dedicated P21W DRLs as this makes it much easier for other road users to see when you are flashing your headlights at them.

Reply #20 on VWVortex.com - Daytime Running Lights shows how “TDI Brad” got a new “Day Run Light” menu option in MFD using VCDS to enable Byte 15 Bit 7 in BCM on a 2012 Passat TDI SEL – note that Byte 15 Bit 6 is also enabled. These configuration options are not available on my VW CC via VCDS – different car with different headlamp assembly.

Out of interest, anyone looking for “Super Bright LED” Can-Bus compatible bulbs that work with VW CC and do not give a “lamp fault” indication, try the bulbs sold by “AJW Automotive” on Amazon.co.uk. I got the “CREE Super Bright Can-Bus W5W / T-10 Sidelight Bulbs”, and these work perfectly in my VW CC. I also got the “WHITE Cree 30w Can-Bus Super-bright 1156 Reverse Bulb” to replace the original P21W DRLs in my VW CC - I have tested these bulbs on a 12V battery and they are extremely bright, but still waiting to enable the DRL function to test them in situ, as detailed above

Hopefully someone can help. Thanks for reading.

0 0 0

2. Re: Enable P21W Daytime Running Lights ( DRLs ) on a VW Passat CC 2008 ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey there!

I came here through google, looking for a wiring diagram for the bixenon headlights.

Even though it's two years ago, I thought I could answer your question. On 2008-2010 CC's you can't enable drls via VCDS. The way to do it on these years is as follows:

To change DRL state:

DRLs OFF

1) Headlight switch to OFF,
    2) Select Left indicator while
    3) Simultaneously holding the stalk hard back towards you to flash the lights while
    4) Simultaneously turning the IGN on for a couple seconds - until you hear the DING.

DRLs are now OFF.

DRLs ON

1) Headlight switch to OFF,
    2) Select Right indicator while
    3) Simultaneously holding the stalk hard back towards you to flash the lights while
    4) Simultaneously turning the IGN on for a couple seconds - until you hear the DING.

DRLs are now ON
    Hopefully someone else can get helped by my late post.

Cheers!

0 0 0