Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2012 3.0tdi avant panoramic sunroof
    Last year sunroof was sticking and would only close by holding down the button to force the roof shut no manual crank available ( bit daft but that's another story)
    Dealer lubricated mechanism under warranty and said " see how it goes"
    First use this spring and it won't close again. This time I had to push the glass to assist the motor.
    The dealer has said that there is now a technical bulletin from Audi stating a special type of grease must now be used but say they cannot sell me any
    All this is currently under warranty but I guess it will get expensive as time goes by.
    Anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a design issue with these roofs as I have never before needed to use a new "special lube " for a roof

0 0 0

2. Re: Sunroof won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine won't open and I was going to get it looked at during my next service. Wonder if it is a common problem!? Mine is out of warranty....

0 0 0

3. Re: Sunroof won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobinn View Post
    Mine won't open and I was going to get it looked at during my next service. Wonder if it is a common problem!? Mine is out of warranty....
    Did it have the special Audi Sunroof services when it was in warranty? The more I read on here about the problems with the Panoramic Sunroof and the need for the special service, the more I am glad I did not spec one. It also help to confirm my choice not to include one when I order the next A6. Given that the sunroofs are all made by a third party provider, who presumably also provides products to the likes of MB, BMW, Ford, VW etc I presume these issues are not limited to just Audi

0 1 0

4. Re: Sunroof won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    A sunroof is the one thing I wanted that my pre-specced car lacked. I'm now beginning to be glad it doesn't have one. Maybe once the warranty's up I'll get a Britax installed using the can opener method, then wrap the surrounding area in black for than nice OE look. Until then I've trained my thin dog not to limbo dance under the tailgate when stopped at its lowest point. The fat one couldn't even if he got a pulse...

I'm sure I read in one of my insurance docs over the past couple of years that they didn't cover roof glass. Anyone else come across this, or is it perhaps standard and just in relation to the excess for windscreen replacements?

Only kidding about the Britax btw, not the dogs.

0 1 0

5. Re: Sunroof won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    They still haven't "cracked" pan roofs then.....History repeating itself.

The A2 came with a pan roof option call Open Sky and it is a wonderful thing.

Until it gives up, which is common. It was a popular and pricey option. Our 13 yo car 's roof has just become a Broken Sky and is now locked shut and will remain so. Can be repaired well by an Indy for £1100 or Audi for £2k plus.

Whilst I love the roof, the weight and complexity means that I'll never buy a car with one again.

And yes....special lube for the A2 too!

Good luck with getting. it fixed.

0 0 0

6. Re: Sunroof won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexGonzo View Post
    The A2 came with a pan roof option call Open Sky and it is a wonderful thing. Until it gives up, which is common. It was a popular and pricey option. Our 13 yo car 's roof has just become a Broken Sky and is now locked shut and will remain so. Can be repaired well by an Indy for £1100 or Audi for £2k plus. Whilst I love the roof, the weight and complexity means that I'll never buy a car with one again.
    Err YES and YES. Our A2 (which we bought from new on a Y plate) had problems with the Open Sky early on.. it was stripped and refitted under warranty because of some frame alignment issues. Of course 7 years in or so it started leaking and we ended up with a HUGE bill (to be fair softened somewhat by our local dealer but still £1.5k or £2k .. cannot remember).
    I was pretty sure I'd never order a car with a sunroof after the first refit... after the "OMG it's leaking" refit and big bill it's a done deal.
    I buy new cars but I will not spec a sunroof - and my wife put up limited resistance when we bought her A1 as a pre-order... god knows it has most other options... when we ordered it the sales rep commented it was the most loaded one he'd ordered at that point.
    I KNOW the sunroof are lovely if you move the car on after 2 or 3 years (as I did with many company cars) but if you plan to keep the vehicle for the long term then my perspective is "NO NO NO".
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

1 0 0

7. Re: Sunroof won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    From what I'm picking up it undoubtedly seems to be an issue for "panoramic" type sunroofs, and maybe I've dodged a bullet. However, my personal experience of a sunroof on every new VAG car I've owned continuously since 1992 (except my C7) is that none of them has ever leaked. The first, in Mk III Golf stopped working, but had an emergency Allen key, and the solar element on another VW started to delaminate. Otherwise all were exactly as expected.

Again I think its a case of the technology arms race forcing new designs to be implemented (...because we can do it...) when the older versions have worked fine over many generations. e.g. I just love my incandescent bulbs which cost pence from Halfords; and let's face it, if a Halfords fitter can change stuff, then I should be able to...

It frustrates me that you can't spec a saloon-type smaller and cheaper sunroof in an estate when often they are still a current saloon option. I just want ventilation that mostly doesn't allow rain in. The smaller ones do just that and there's less area for potential damage (stones, girlfriend's stilettos etc. etc.).
    Last edited by Splash; 28-03-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: small is beautiful

0 0 0

8. Re: Sunroof won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    there's less area for potential damage (stones, girlfriend's stilettos etc. etc.).
    Sorry dude we gotta know, is that from the inside or outside, if inside is she a bit of a contortionist?
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

9. Re: Sunroof won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    It was the early 90s and my memory is hazy...Probably best left that way as I hadn't met my wife at that point!

To answer the question, a stone ricocheted off the sunroof which made me duck as I watched its trajectory. I can't remember if that was before, or after she broke her leg...

Strangely enough, I've just watched "The Counselor" with Penelope Cruz and Cameron Diaz and much buffering (not a euphemism). It's a good job that car didn't have a panoramic roof, although the analogy with an aquarium was classic...
    Last edited by Splash; 29-03-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Bury the past

0 0 0

10. Re: Sunroof won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    You ARE a VERY bad man! Love it
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast