1. Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really at my wits end with the car. I love driving it, really do, but I've had to do at least 8 repairs to the car in the last 6 weeks…. I've repaired the Nav (antenna replace) The 2 front suspension airbags (again), repaired the wiring behind the headlights, cleaned the nav dvd reader, the hazard lights switch, the water ingress issue (battery well) and have booked the car in to get the remap done to rule out EGR activation of EML, and the N/S front CV joint is starting to crackle.… Good job I'm a qualified mechanic, it would have cost me a fortune!!!

And now it's very difficult to start.

It's not the glow plugs, as the car is tough to start after a long drive. There is no air ingress into the fuel system (looking at the clear fuel pipe). It's not the temp sensor, as I replaced that less than a year ago. It's turning over well on the key, so the battery/starter system is not an issue. On occasion I've left the starter engaged for 10 or more seconds to get it to fire up. It is happening both cold and hot engine… Eventually it does fire up, and then it drives absolutely fine. Plenty of power and no smokiness. This just started (excuse the pun) last night, so would rather nip it in the bud...

So, am I looking at the injection pump? Or is there another issue I'm missing?

I have had magic advice here in the past that has saved me a fotune… I'm hoping this is the same!!!

HELP MEEEEE!!

Otherwise this car could be facing the chop… And that will break my heart, but we can't keep pouring money into this car anymore.

0 1 0

2. Re: Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Have you run a VCDS scan for fault codes? You do not have an air leak cos there are no bubbles in the clear hose to the IP - but is there fuel??? When was the fuel filter last changed?
    I am sure you are well aware, this is the Audi C5 world! Who on this forum has a car with no faults on it! Take a look at a post I made about a week ago - snap! Two air bags, two upper links, two susp guide links and CV Boot replaced + plus discs and pads all round - all in the last 3 months! Now I only have a full service to do (plus a few other small items!). Just be thankful we can do this work ourselves - or our cars would be long gone. BUT THEY ARE GREAT TO DRIVE WHEN (ALMOST) FAULTLESS!

0 1 0

3. Re: Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One question: Have you tried to unplug the water temp sensor (green) on the left side of the injection pump? (Seen from the front of the car)
    If it starts easy without the sensor, the injection pump does not build enough pressure of diesel in the crank moment.
    I have read the replacing the water temp sensor may help, or to map the ECU.
    Because then the injection pump is programme to give a little higher pressure.
    Good luck.

0 1 0

4. Re: Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Check for fault codes, and deleted them

0 1 0

5. Re: Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roy@pumpa.no View Post
    One question: Have you tried to unplug the water temp sensor (green) on the left side of the injection pump? (Seen from the front of the car)
    If it starts easy without the sensor, the injection pump does not build enough pressure of diesel in the crank moment.
    I have read the replacing the water temp sensor may help, or to map the ECU.
    Because then the injection pump is programme to give a little higher pressure.
    Good luck.
    Thanks, I'll give that a go, but the sensor is less than 12 months old, so unlikely to be the fault, but I'll gladly give anything a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by amiram View Post
    Check for fault codes, and deleted them
    Did that already. The ever faulty EGR valve is the only fault that was there. Cleared that, and it was the very same… Mind you, the EML didn't come back on this time and the EGR hasn't popped up as a fault again since… Every cloud and all that! :-)

Appreciate all the replies folks, keep them coming!

0 1 0

6. Re: Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    youve got plenty to check 1st but fuel injector pump timing is on the list

regards

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 2 0

7. Re: Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipingandy View Post
    youve got plenty to check 1st but fuel injector pump timing is on the list

regards

Andy
    Andy, you've steered me right more times! What I can't understand is how it would just suddenly move… And the car drives superbly and fuel economy is as usual...

0 1 0

8. Re: Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocheydub View Post
    Andy, you've steered me right more times! What I can't understand is how it would just suddenly move… And the car drives superbly and fuel economy is as usual...
    on my 2.5tdi AKE, the 3 x 10mm bolts which hold the sproket onto the camshaft loosened, meaning everytime i cranked it over, the bolts would move in the slots putting the timing way out and i had to crank it over more than normal, but then she fired and seemed to run perfectly (this bit is just luck), so other than the long cranking it was fine, it did this for 7 days then the pulley fell off, car dies and i coast onto the side of the A77 (again!!) and towed home (again!!) to find the IP belt and drive sprocket lying in the bottom of the covers

it gave me an excuse for full front end service and i was lucky the rest was intact , for now i dont think thats whats wrong with yours but for sure its on the list, have a quick check at the injection pump belt, even the tension could change the timing,

regards

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

1 3 0

9. Re: Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Duly added to the list so! Thank you all.

0 1 0

10. Re: Allroad 2.5Tdi poor starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,
    first leave the CTS wire on, to disconnect it will only burn out the glow plugs and make things even worse . Next you need to check the timing , engine temp above 85 C basic settings 4- retarded phase, then report back

0 1 0

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast