Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Have fitted a 1Y complete engine ~& box from a 98 caddy into a 2000 seat inca, also brought the wiring loom out and swapped that too in the hope that it would overcome any potential problems... no such luck!

The engine ticks over and revs up fine while stationary, fan kicks in when it's supposed to and basically all seems well. Took it for a test drive and found that it cuts out after being worked (e.g. accelerating uphill), after being allowed to cool down a bit starts again but then keeps cutting out. Temp gauge stayed normal (i.e. halfway) up to cutting out, after getting it goin again the gauge kept creeping down, i.e towards cold?!

I suspect an electrical problem based on the fact that if i disconnect the multiplug on the engine, the tickover increases slightly and the engine runs more smoothly... have been out for a long drive today with the multiplug disconnected (no dash panel instruments though!) and runs perfectly (immobilizer is bypassed by the way).

It seems logical to assume that the engine is cutting out due to the stop solenoid being activated by an erroneous over-temperature condition... Can anyone with a bit more knowledge on the electrical side of things point me in the right direction? I dont fully understand which wires from the temp sender do what... have looked at the "current flow diagrams" in the very literal german to english translation on the elsawin system... not much help to me i'm afraid! dont mind reading traditional wiring diagrams but these are "esoteric" to say the least!!!!

Many thanks, RZ

0 0 0

2. Re: caddy/inca 1.9d Engine & Loom swap... electrical teething problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's no ECU or electronics on a IY engine, it's a mechanical pump noting to cut the pump off if it's overheating. I think the problem is with the charging system, the battery isn't being charged and goes flat stopping the engine.

0 0 0

3. Re: caddy/inca 1.9d Engine & Loom swap... electrical teething problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctle Odd View Post
    There's no ECU or electronics on a IY engine, it's a mechanical pump noting to cut the pump off if it's overheating. I think the problem is with the charging system, the battery isn't being charged and goes flat stopping the engine.
    Thanks, i see what you're saying but the battery charges fine, i was cranking away for a good while to get it going again, plus have measured charge coming off alternator, it;s fine. I know no ECU as such but does have electronic diagnostics... I had the water pump go while driving a while back on the old engine, and it cut out when the temp got too high, rang my g/friend to come pick me up and by the time she arrived the engine had cooled enough for me to be able to start it again and limp home, so surely it does have an automatic cut-out? Even my first car, a 1985 vauxhall did the same when it got too hot!

0 0 0

4. Re: caddy/inca 1.9d Engine & Loom swap... electrical teething problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    UPDATE: Just remembered something! When i got the engine it was in a 1998 caddy that a friend kindly donated, i now remember i had to take the temp sender unit out of my old engine because it was missing... the old engine seized due to overheating, caused by a blown head gasket which finally lost all the coolant... but .... the temp gauge stayed at normal the whole time

...which seems like a good reason to suspect the temp sender is the cause of my current problems.... guess i'll look into it tomorrow

0 0 0

5. Re: caddy/inca 1.9d Engine & Loom swap... electrical teething problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rion Zion View Post
    UPDATE: Just remembered something! When i got the engine it was in a 1998 caddy that a friend kindly donated, i now remember i had to take the temp sender unit out of my old engine because it was missing... the old engine seized due to overheating, caused by a blown head gasket which finally lost all the coolant... but .... the temp gauge stayed at normal the whole time

...which seems like a good reason to suspect the temp sender is the cause of my current problems.... guess i'll look into it tomorrow
    Buy genuine!

0 0 0

6. Re: caddy/inca 1.9d Engine & Loom swap... electrical teething problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That may be your problem as doctor odd said buy genuine at least you no its history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: caddy/inca 1.9d Engine & Loom swap... electrical teething problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm still sceptical about these engines cutting out when they overheat. Even new cars rely on warning lights and buzzers when the coolant overheats or gets dumped on the road. The electronics on these are the immobiliser that you can remove from the pump with a 32 ounce ball pein encourager

0 0 0