Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Folks

This is my first post on here, hope no one is upset that I am looking for help/advice as my first post.

I have a 2008 Audi A4 3.0 Tdi Quattro, its been absolutely trouble free....until today

Initially the glow plug symbol was flashing, after a check of the manual, saw its likely due to some short distance driving the other half has been doing on the school run, and needs a good run

I attempted this, only for the engine management light to come on, and the 'limp home' activated

So, rather than tempt fate, I just called out the RAC. They were spot on, no issue there, the chap pluged in his unit, and pulled out some fault codes.

P2002(00) particulate trap efficiency below threashold

P2463(00) Soot too high

He then carried out a regeneration of DPF, system sat 2000rpm, DPF up to 650C+. Initally soot content was reading as 0.12% (or Grams, cant remember), a couple of minutes into the test, it dropped to zero. the test/regen lasted about 30-40 mins (roughly)

he cleared the ECU of alarms, and I gave it a test run. Flashing glow plug warning on dash again as soon as it went above 2500-2800rpm. I carried on, see if it would clear, and its back in limp mode.

I can recall the RAC or limp it into garage, but if anyone can relate to the information I have given, and offer likely issue or solution, would be good to hear peoples views

Regards

SOLVED - For anyone else who suffers these symptoms;

Glow plug flashing orange, car seems slower to pick up like turbo not working, poor acceleration.
    Trying to rev over 2-2,500rpm eventually results in Emissions light coming on constant (orange engine light)
    car then goes into limp mode

VAC test show;

P2002(00) particulate trap efficiency below threashold, bank 1

P2463(00) Soot too high

On Delphi system, parameters showed that; Particle filter, offset = -15hPa and Particle filter pressure after/before values also - hPa
    On Audi A4 3.0tdi one side of differential pressure sensor is open to atmosphere, putting finger over this pipe did not affect the readings. Disconnecting the sensor plug gave reading of 100hPa (factory max reading for open circuit)

Showed that DPF sensor was faulty.

For piece of mind took this in to audi York to get done (incase part does fail then im covered), cost was near £200, parts, labour, and regen/calibration
    Was surprised to see on a 2008 3.0 tdi, with 50,000miles, ash content was less than 5 grams.

Hope this helps someone else in future
    Last edited by riktrik79; 11-03-2015 at 05:08 PM.

1 0 0

2. Re: SOLVED - Flashing Glowplug, then engine management light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had the same on my 2.0 tdi
    i traced it down to the pressure sensor on the back of the engine just under the cover slightly left of centre. New sensor from audi was 70 quid one 10mm bolt and 2 vacuum pipes fitted in less than 10 mins did a regen using my mates computer and never been a problem since

0 0 0

3. Re: SOLVED - Flashing Glowplug, then engine management light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A useful bit of information.

0 0 0

4. Re: SOLVED - Flashing Glowplug, then engine management light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have very similar symptoms to the above in my 2.0 TDi (170) quattro.

Glow plug light flashed intermittently and a loss of power at low revs before eventually the emissions light made an appearance after almost a week of gentle driving while waiting for Tamworth Audi to have a slot to diagnose the issue. After the latter, I parked it up and only drove it to get to Audi

Got the call earlier today to say my "turbo Vacuum Pump needed replacing" part is £350.18 and 2.5 hours labour at £130 per hour (think i need to change jobs) + £60 for the diagnostic (and I assume VAT to be charged on top of this).... not Cheap, but also not as bad as it could been from what I have read over the course of the whole week, looks like the bill will come in just under £900

UPDATE

Went to collect and the delightful staff informed me that they had managed to reduce the bill for the work to £449 - massive saving on what I was expecting, so all in all pretty happy with the outcome, confirmed that the issue is just "general wear and tear" so nothing to do with driving style etc.... hope this helps
    Last edited by Joshg1803; 26-06-2015 at 10:21 AM.

0 0 0

5. Re: SOLVED - Flashing Glowplug, then engine management light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    did you get a loss in power when the glowplug light was flashing?

0 0 0

6. Re: SOLVED - Flashing Glowplug, then engine management light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkgix View Post
    Had the same on my 2.0 tdi
    i traced it down to the pressure sensor on the back of the engine just under the cover slightly left of centre. New sensor from audi was 70 quid one 10mm bolt and 2 vacuum pipes fitted in less than 10 mins did a regen using my mates computer and never been a problem since
    Hi,
    I'm having the same issue and the dealer diagnosed it as 'low fuel pressure'. But he is unable to trace any specific sensor or item to check.
    Car has been with them for the last two days.
    Can you tell me what the name of the sensor you are describing and it's part number, please?

thanks in advance

0 0 0