1. Prospective buyer... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, I stumbled on this forum as im a self admitted forum geek. I'll be honest most of my research comes from forums- im going to be a dad in July and I'm on forums for that too. By the way- I do get my heads dirty too and not just sit behind a keyboard! I'm also a car detailer!

So ive joined here as im about to become a Dad and feel I might need something more economical than my current jaguar s type r which im loving now I've sorted out s few niggles but it's costing a fortune on maintaince (all cars do but having 400bhp and oil leaks isn't cheap when you have to remove the engine to get to them. I've sorted a lot out now but I'm not sure how long I can sustain it when I got to working part time when the baby arrives.

I've had a long list of possible cars but the Audi A4 avant keeps popping up. So I'll be heading over to read some of the relevent sections soon to help me with my research. I am not in a major rush to buy so im not jumping in this time as cash is a little low so I need to make a wise decision.

Im looking at the 1.9 s line probably around the 2005/6 age so if anybody can point me in the right direction as I'll admit I haven't browsed the forum yet but don't worry I will dinky own research! The 2.0 tdi seems slightly more problematic?

See ere you lot soon!

0 0 0

2. Re: Prospective buyer... 
    Cavatio Guest
    Hello, you've joined the best VAG forum in the galaxy. There's several expert mechanics offer free advice. As a geek you'll need a VCDS cable so you can tweak your car. The cable may look expensive however main dealers are charging 100.00 or more for a scan http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

0 1 0

3. Re: Prospective buyer... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    personally i would go for an upto 2004 b6 1.9 tdi avant with an awx engine. the 2004 onwards b7 came with 115 bhp only or the 2.0 which is best avoided. the b6 is pretty bullet proof and only really bettered by a b5 or an 80. yes, the earlier ones are the most reliable, but a 2002 - 2004 b6 is a stonking car.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

4. Re: Prospective buyer... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input. The 2002-2004 ones do look like a better buy. I guess I was looking at the aesthetics of the newer model. I saw a couple of red earlier ones on eBay the other day which looked awesome. I'm not in a rush to buy though and need to sell my current fleet first.

0 0 0

5. Re: Prospective buyer... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    aye, the newer ones with the big grill do look ace and if you are happy with the 115 bhp then go for one. they can be chipped up a bit. the b6 is the better more reliable car though, thats why they still hold a 4 grand plus price tag for a 12 year old car.

0 0 0

6. Re: Prospective buyer... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi & welcome!
    I hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

0 0 0

7. Re: Prospective buyer... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all your warm welcomes. I'm still debating which ones to go for. A slightly different option (though less classy) would be a newer mondeo estate. I know it's the wring forum... I guess when I actually get round to buying I'll have to try them all. I know the mondeo comes with it's faults but for the money you get a lot of car. I know they aren't as well put together as an Audi/ vw but someting to consider. They are far from tin cans too.

0 0 0

8. Re: Prospective buyer... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    test drive the mondeo, test drive an audi, then you see why the audi is more expensive. the mondeo is ok, but doesn't take miles anywhere near as well as any audi. in fact, i would rather walk than drive a mondeo. i own a garage so am qualified to hate all modern fords.

0 0 0