0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

Hope you all had a good weekend as I haven't
    I have a 2.0TDI 2007 Passat

It runs absolutely fine however what I have noticed is that if I don't drive it for a while (at that is 24+ hours) it's hard to start it...
    Almost like pressure in the fuel system disappears.
    It is very hard to start the engine and even once it's started engine runs very rough.
    Almost like it's going to die on me

Then longer I don't drive then worst it is so don't really think that this will be related to glow plugs or anything like that.
    I've also changed fuel feed unit as it wasn't functioning properly and latest diagnostic showed that it's not responding so I replaced that (Which warranty kindly paid for) so I don't think that it has something to do with that now.

I have a foxwell NT 500 scanner and that doesn't return any error codes.

Hope you will be able to help me with this one as it's been driving me nuts...

0 0 0

2. Re: Starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Forgot to add that when this happens I also get a lot of white smelly smoke.
    Has very strong diesel smell and there is A LOT of it...

0 0 0

3. Re: Starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Any ideas on what this could be?
    I've been taking car to different garages and none of them know what exactly this could be as ECU doesn't return any codes so all they are suggesting is to start with glow plugs and then move on.

I see it kind of pointless to start changing component by component without knowing is it faulty or not and would like to know what kind of tests could be performed to at least narrow down the cause to a few specific components?

0 0 0

4. Re: Starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Let's see what's been stored as any previous error codes against what modules. I'm not sure your scanner will be able to display these. Get yourself a VCDS Autoscan and post here? We can all then see what modules you have too. Not that it would help me too much as I'm not a diesel head.
    What diesel are you using? Try running with a non-supermarket Derv such as Shell V-Power for a few tankfulls. That has a cleaner in it. I used their petrol version for nearly 1,000 litres and it made a difference -- hadn't used such an expensive fuel before
    Try an enforced DPF clean which is a procedure in VCDS. If those don't work try a add-in diesel cleaning additive for diesel engines. Halfords have them

Best I can do for now

0 0 0

5. Re: Starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSEL View Post
    Let's see what's been stored as any previous error codes against what modules. I'm not sure your scanner will be able to display these. Get yourself a VCDS Autoscan and post here? We can all then see what modules you have too. Not that it would help me too much as I'm not a diesel head.
    What diesel are you using? Try running with a non-supermarket Derv such as Shell V-Power for a few tankfulls. That has a cleaner in it. I used their petrol version for nearly 1,000 litres and it made a difference -- hadn't used such an expensive fuel before
    Try an enforced DPF clean which is a procedure in VCDS. If those don't work try a add-in diesel cleaning additive for diesel engines. Halfords have them

Best I can do for now
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I've scanned my car with VCDS as well and it doesn't show any errors (no historical or currently pending ones)
    Information displaying in VCDS is exactly the same as in my scanner (Although I don't have such detailed information about installed modules, information about error codes is exactly the same - No error codes)
    I always use only Shell V-Power, no other fuel. Been using just that since I bought the car which is for around 6-7K miles.
    I've also changed my fuel filter couple of weeks ago and added diesel cleaning additive at the same time.

0 0 0

6. Re: Starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hmmm... done all the right things then. White smoke is definately unburnt diesel and the misfiring is when the unburned fuel is being chucked out until up to temperature. Could be anti-shudder valve. There's more on this possibility in:
    UKpassats.co.uk • View topic - B6 2.0 140 TDI estate. White smoke on overun. But not always

See the post by Chadster666 Jan 3rd.

0 1 0

7. Re: Starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    You haven't mentioned your battery?
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 1 0

8. Re: Starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSEL View Post
    Hmmm... done all the right things then. White smoke is definately unburnt diesel and the misfiring is when the unburned fuel is being chucked out until up to temperature. Could be anti-shudder valve. There's more on this possibility in:
    UKpassats.co.uk • View topic - B6 2.0 140 TDI estate. White smoke on overun. But not always

See the post by Chadster666 Jan 3rd.
    Thank you I will check this forum as well. Might find something useful

Quote Originally Posted by Quatrelle View Post
    You haven't mentioned your battery?
    Indeed, haven't checked the battery.
    Most likely will be the factory fitted one.
    Will have a look tomorrow and let you know what do I have there.

0 0 0

9. Re: Starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Poor fueling and bad starting without codes is usually an injector seal problem. Only replacing the seals will tell you if that is the case.

0 2 0

10. Re: Starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    sorry to bump this thread up guys.

I'm still fighting this white smoke issue (Although now from video that I took with my friend it looks that it's more of a blue-ish and not white)
    I know blue smoke means burned oil but I don't lose any oil (at least haven't noticed any oil loss within a week)

I have this video in HD quality for you to have a look: White & Black Smoke on Startup - YouTube

There is also some black smoke at the end of the video but that's when I'm revving the car at around 3-3.5K RMP so pretty sure that that's normal.
    Besides black smoke stops after around 5-6 revs anyway so it might be something like DPF filter (although I think it's factory removed on my car)

Any ideas? I'm tired of taking it to the garages and hear things like "It might be this...".
    I don't want to change things if it will cost me £100's and won't give me guarantee that it will fix the problem

I've checked the battery battery and that is absolutely fine.

I haven't checked how many volts glow plugs give out as I'm afraid to break something while taking off the top cover...(anybody has a decent video or instruction with pictures on how to get to the glow plugs? on 2.0TDI?)

I understand that fuel injector seal change suggested by martin will be quite expensive and lengthy job as well?

Any other ideas what could I check at home free of charge to eliminate possible causes?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast