Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

My audi a4 1.9 2002 drivers side window has not been working for some time (too lazy to fix it)

Today was pleasantly sunny so I thought I finally do something about it.

I took the door card off and the sound deadening material to see if the regulator cables have snapped. (They seemed to be still taught by feeling them but obviously I couldn't be 100% without the whole frame out).

My attention then turned to the window motor as I wanted to eliminate that. I turned the ignition on and pressed the drivers side window button on the doorcard and the window motor clog didn't spin. Luckily I have another A4 B6 same model which has no issues with the drivers window,it is the same engine, year etc so I removed the doorcard off that and tried the window motor from the first Audi but it worked on the 2nd Audi. This therefore confirmed that the window motor was not faulty and my next step of elimation is to check the window switch.

As the window button off the 2nd Audi is known to be 100% working,I took the whole doorcard and tried it on the 1st Audi. I tried the original window motor and also the the one off the 2nd Audi which works, on each occasion both window motor clog failed to spin even though it was spinning on the other Audi using the same doorcard.

So this is why I am ruling out the window regulator because the window motor is not even spinning to take the window up or down. Also just to note the original doorcard off the 1st Audi had the central locking, speakers and the passenger window controls all working, also all buttons including the drivers side window illuminated when the headlights/sidelights were on.

I'm not sure if it is related but the passenger side window only opens from the drivers side door, the switch on the actaul passenger side door does not open or close the window.

Can anyone help with possible reasons for why the window motor on the drivers side is not spinning e.g fuse ( and which one), door connections etc?

Also the windows don't go up or down when holding the fob button/ can't remember if it stopped working when I had the drivers side window issue.

Thanks in advance for any help

0 0 0

2. Re: Driver's side window not working - Not regulator issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok so it sounds like the main switch works on the driver side but not on the passenger side change the switch on the passenger side so on the drive side try to jump the window motor to see if work if it does check for a broken wire from the door to the car .

0 0 0

3. Re: Driver's side window not working - Not regulator issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardgonzalez8 View Post
    Ok so it sounds like the main switch works on the driver side but not on the passenger side change the switch on the passenger side so on the drive side try to jump the window motor to see if work if it does check for a broken wire from the door to the car .
    Yes that is correct albeit the main switch only opens and closes the passenger window, drivers one not working.

what do you mean by 'jump' the window motor.

also I will check for any broken wires in the door but assumed that since everything else works ( c locking,mirrors etc) and the fact that the buttons light up that power is available

0 0 0

4. Re: Driver's side window not working - Not regulator issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Before jumping anything, take a look at the wiring on the driver's window motor. You should see red & brown wires that are much thicker than all the others. Connect a voltmeter across those two wires and make sure you have 12V. If you do have 12V, next try operating the motor with the switch and make sure the 12V doesn't drop when the switch is operated.

Jim.

0 0 0