Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all

First time poster here. I've recently bought a 2009 MK6 GTTDI. It's got all the toys having spent a great deal of time finding the right one.

Anyway, after 2 weeks of happy motoring, I went to start the car yesterday only to find the head unit (RNS 510) is now constantly restarting. It gets as far as the welcome screen then restarts. I've done *nothing* to the headunit itself, however a couple of days after buying it I did replace the bluetooth module for a later release to make it compatible with my iPhone. It's been working beautifully so I'm just not sure what's happened.

After Googling it, I tried a suggestion that seems quite common which is to run the SWL fix CD (as located on another forum). The update works seemingly as intended however no change. I'm guessing the unit is a B, but without access to the hidden menu I'm guessing the only way to tell would be to remove the unit and look for model ID sticker?

Anyway, the next logical solution for me is to try to apply a more modern firmware and I wondered if someone had some advice for me, or even if someone who's experienced down in the South East would be prepared to help fix it for me? I wouldn't expect it to be done for free of course..

Thanks in advance for any help!
    D

0 0 0

2. Re: Newbie here - RNS 510 constantly rebooting / resetting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I took the bullet last night and managed to fix it myself. The steps I followed were:

1. I removed the unit from the dashboard to get the exact model number and hardware version (in my case 1T0 035 680 B and hardware version 11)
    2. Went to this forum: Firmware updates for European RNS510 units and found links to the appropriate firmware for my version (402X)
    3. Downloaded and burned the ISO using ImgBurn to a blank DVD-R
    4. Followed the firmware update instructions (simply open car, do not put keys in ignition, turn on head unit, hold 'eject', 'i' and 'setup' buttons until system reboots into 'Load SWL disc' mode and insert the DVD and say okay when asked if you want to install the later firmware)
    5. Let the install run, which in my case was almost an hour and eject the disk to restart the unit

All I have left to do is insert the maps DVD which should re-populate the sat nav and I'm away again! The radio etc all works fine for now anyway so I'm happy.

Things to note:
    1. I'm pretty sure I was on stock firmware (v1xxx).
    2. My symptom was specifically that the unit was rebooting after the splash screen. From my research, there are other similar symptoms that could require a power supply or main board swap. From what I've read, this is normally when the unit doesn't start after the splash screen but stays black. I was quoted £265 from a car audio repair guy to change both as that was his recommendation. Glad I didn't need that!!!

Hopefully this will help someone.

2 1 0

3. Re: Newbie here - RNS 510 constantly rebooting / resetting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well done, great achievement searching the net and obtaining the firmware and having the noggin to complete the task
    2010 Golf 2.0 TDI GT 140 DSG , 5 door in white.

0 1 0