1. Headlight Gremlin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This week I had reason to have a look for a dud fuse but everything was fine.

After checking the fuses the headlights came on as I pushed the key with the switch in the off position. The headlights and sidelights stay on whilst driving even in daylight no matter what position the switch is in, the sidelights do not work until key is pushed in even when the light switch is turned to on. No sign of the rear fog light operating either. So I thought to myself, disconnect the battery, leave for a while and re connected about 3/4 an hour later, still the same problem. Car is a bog standard r line with no fancy auto lights and everything worked fine until I pulled and did a visual check on the fuses. The reason I pulled the fuses was because the wipers would not work but that rectified itself when the bonnet was closed.

Could the headlight switch have gone on the blink at the same time? It does absolutely nothing whether ignition is on or off.

Any advice would be most welcome.
    Last edited by taxi3528; 16-01-2015 at 06:46 AM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Headlight Gremlin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    What car? Year? Miles? Where are you? May need a VCDS Autoscan to see whether there are any faults stored. I'm SE London close to A!02 Blackwall Tunnel southbound.
    Owners handbook fuse chart is wrong. Best attempt at fuse locations is on Martin's website, but it costs a fiver to see his charts nowadays.
    PASSAT
    **SOLD** '06 B6 Passat 2L tFSI SEL 3c5, 232 bhp, Geba metal water pump, GlowShift boost & oil pressure gauges, paddles, powder-coated black Chicago rims yellow calipers, JVC KW NX7000/E sat nav DAB BT Ripspeed sub reverse cam, hi-line MFD, MFSW, Skyline tails, Laminex fogs, LEDs, indicator DRLs, Philips X-tremeVision heads, PowerFlow chrome exhaust, tints to rear, vanity VRM, TPMS, power-fold dimming mirrors, brolly

0 0 0

3. Re: Headlight Gremlin 
    vespa Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by taxi3528 View Post
    This week I had reason to have a look for a dud fuse but everything was fine.

After checking the fuses the headlights came on as I pushed the key with the switch in the off position. The headlights and sidelights stay on whilst driving even in daylight no matter what position the switch is in, the sidelights do not work until key is pushed in even when the light switch is turned to on. No sign of the rear fog light operating either. So I thought to myself, disconnect the battery, leave for a while and re connected about 3/4 an hour later, still the same problem. Car is a bog standard r line with no fancy auto lights and everything worked fine until I pulled and did a visual check on the fuses. The reason I pulled the fuses was because the wipers would not work but that rectified itself when the bonnet was closed.

Could the headlight switch have gone on the blink at the same time? It does absolutely nothing whether ignition is on or off.

Any advice would be most welcome.
    The rear fog light is activated by pulling the switch out when in the foglight position. There was a mod available in 2009/10 that gave the car the effect of daytime running lights. So whenever the car was started the lights would come on. Perhaps yours was one that was modified. I was offered this mod just after I got my car new by VW.

0 0 0

4. Re: Headlight Gremlin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Apologies for not replying sooner as I have been away down country at Nottingham over the weekend.

Car is a 2L diesel, 2009, 79000 miles but I have got it booked in for it's scan next Monday as the test is due shortly, the fog lights worked perfectly before this gremlin, hopefully all will be revealed next week.

0 0 0

5. Re: Headlight Gremlin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks to my own carelessness/stupidity I had stuck a fuse back in in the wrong place. Today it was connected up with a laptop and it spat out a lot off faults, easy fixed with a new fuse in the right orifice, a quick check over everything else and it sailed through the MOT without even an advise. Whoo Hoo, Happy Days, now for a large one, in fact three large ones.

0 0 0