1. Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Guys, Took delivery of my new car last week and it's the first time I've had active lane assist as an option. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much, but it doesn't seem to keep me in the middle of a lane when on the motorway. I've tried both sensitivity settings on the MMI (it's definitely flagged as active) and neither seem to do anything. I understand that it is inactivated if you take your hands off the wheel, but as an example I keep the car straight when on a gentle bend where I would expect the steering assistance to kick in when the car drifts towards the white line, but it doesn't. I have the cruise control switched on and there are the green indicators on the instruments panel. Do I need to do anything else?
    Cheers.
    2018 Q5 S-line 2.0TDi, Daytona, Tour Pack, Technology Pack, Matrix headlights, Advanced Parking Pack, Enhanced lighting pack.

0 0 0

2. Re: Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatistuta View Post
    Hi Guys, Took delivery of my new car last week and it's the first time I've had active lane assist as an option. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much, but it doesn't seem to keep me in the middle of a lane when on the motorway. I've tried both sensitivity settings on the MMI (it's definitely flagged as active) and neither seem to do anything. I understand that it is inactivated if you take your hands off the wheel, but as an example I keep the car straight when on a gentle bend where I would expect the steering assistance to kick in when the car drifts towards the white line, but it doesn't. I have the cruise control switched on and there are the green indicators on the instruments panel. Do I need to do anything else?
    Cheers.
    It's not an autopilot - it's a safety device to prevent you veering off into the next lane.
    Audi A6 (C7) 3.0 TDI S Line Quattro 245 Daytona Grey Sep 2013 -
    Audi A4 (B8) 2.0 TDI SE 143 Lava Grey 2008 - 2013

2 0 0

3. Re: Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You need to activate out by pressing the button on the end of the indicator stalk - there should be definite resistance as you approach the edge of a lane. Be aware that the system sometimes had trouble identifying the lane if lines are worn or there is water on the surface of the road.

Best way to confirm it's working is to have the DIS switched to display status of assistance features, this will tell you if the car can identify the lane lines. Also the lock is shown in the HUD if you have it, and there should be a little indicator at the top of the DIS (IIRC)
    2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI (245 PS) quattro S-Line (C7)

0 0 0

4. Re: Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    if you have the green indicator on, it is working. When it is on but can't recognise the lines, it is yellow. Mine only activates when it gets close to the lines or if you overtake and don't indicate. I only use it as a back up on motorway journeys - my wife inadvertently switched it on and thought the car was faulty!! To test it, change lanes without indicating and you should feel resistance and a vibration through the steering wheel.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I drive at least 80% freeways and have it enabled all of the time. My DIS is normally on the display that shows the lane recognition markers and the recognition of cars for the ACC. Driving typically in very low density traffic I frequently let the ALA steer for me but I find that it is very dumb. If the car drifts too far over the line, it will turn the marker red on the DIS, indicating that it has crossed the line. If it knows that it crossed the line then why didn't it correct better with the steering? If you let it steer on a straight road then it will frequently go for a while bouncing off of the lane markers like a bowling ball bouncing from side to side.
    It seems to me that they have way more intelligence than they are using and somebody older than 11 years could have written better code for this attribute.

0 0 0

6. Re: Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
    I drive at least 80% freeways and have it enabled all of the time. My DIS is normally on the display that shows the lane recognition markers and the recognition of cars for the ACC. Driving typically in very low density traffic I frequently let the ALA steer for me but I find that it is very dumb. If the car drifts too far over the line, it will turn the marker red on the DIS, indicating that it has crossed the line. If it knows that it crossed the line then why didn't it correct better with the steering? If you let it steer on a straight road then it will frequently go for a while bouncing off of the lane markers like a bowling ball bouncing from side to side.
    It seems to me that they have way more intelligence than they are using and somebody older than 11 years could have written better code for this attribute.
    I suspect they have deliberately "dumbed down" the system so that people do not rely on it unduly and then try to sue Audi because they had an accident due the car not steering itself. And for those people wanting a car they do not have to actually drive Mr Google will be along soon with a car for them, alternatively they could take a bus, taxi or train

1 0 0

7. Re: Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Awww - I was hoping to set both the Adaptive Cruise and Lane Control and have a sleep on the M25.

0 0 0

8. Re: Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    I suspect they have deliberately "dumbed down" the system so that people do not rely on it unduly and then try to sue Audi because they had an accident due the car not steering itself. And for those people wanting a car they do not have to actually drive Mr Google will be along soon with a car for them, alternatively they could take a bus, taxi or train
    Taking the bus, taxi or train at 2.15 in the morning here in Southern California is a bigger challenge than getting an A6 to stay between the lanes. I think I saw a train and a bus once but I don't remember. I did, however, see a taxi but it was a Prius so that's out of the question too!

0 0 0

9. Re: Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I guess that the adage 'Real men don't read manuals' is appropriate here as I was under the impression that activating it in the MMI was sufficient without realising that there was also a button to press on the indicator stalk to switch it on. Duh! Working fine now.
    2018 Q5 S-line 2.0TDi, Daytona, Tour Pack, Technology Pack, Matrix headlights, Advanced Parking Pack, Enhanced lighting pack.

0 0 0

10. Re: Active Lane Assist question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    If you haven't bothered reading the manual then I would suggest that you will miss out on exploiting about 70% of the car's on-board technology. Then there is all that time wasted by people replying to threads....

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast