Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm thinking of changing my newly acquired A6 for another as there are too many teething problems for comfort. I've found a really nice one but it doesn't have the automatic boot open / closure, anyone have an idea as to how expensive this would be to fit or if it is even possible ?
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro 3.0 TDI 2007

0 0 0

2. Re: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Pretty sure I've seen this as a retro fit on kufatec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

3. Re: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I did this on my A6 Avant here is a quick write-up I did, you need to find the parts on ebay otherwise the retrofit is not cost effective, you will also need to visit the dealer to have component protection removed from comfort control module (46).

I got my wiring harness from kufatec, you can buy the full kit form them but again it's far to expensive.

Parts Required
    x2 Gas Strut 4F9 827 552 E (Already fitted earlier in the thread)

Tailgate switch 3D0 959 831 D 20H

Drive Motor left 4F9 827 851 F
    DO NOT BUY MOTORS WITHOUT HINGE FITMENTS YOU CANNOT BUY THEM FROM THE DEALERS. (Black bit of metal shown on top of the motors)
    Drive Motor Right 4F9 827 852 F
    DO NOT BUY MOTORS WITHOUT HINGE FITMENTS YOU CANNOT BUY THEM FROM THE DEALERS (Black bit of metal shown on top of the motors)
    x2 Bracket for motors 4F9 827 603 (Already fitted to the motors)

x2 Bolt N 910 556 01
    x2 Bolt N 106 855 01

Power latch 4F9 827 383 E or G (Note the power latch is different depending on your mode. The part number I have listed is for Quattro models 4/6 cylinder engines)

Wiring harness from Kufatec

Note that some Comfort control modules (46) will not work with the electronic tailgate and will need to be replaced. Compatible units have the following part numbers

4F0907289B
    4F0910289B
    4F0910289L
    4F0910289K

just really got to the point of dismantling the rear of the car and fitting the wiring harness, started off by stripping down the tailgate, first by removing the warning triangle, and then the access covers for the rear tail

lights.

Remove the 6 screws holding the tailgate trim panel in place, once the screw are removed you then need to pull the trim downwards if it's never been off before then it can be a bit of a sod to remove.

You also need to remove the trim panel lights

Next is to remove the trim around the rear windscreen, it's held in place by a torx screw either side and clipped in place

To remove the hinge cover it just unclips from the inner edge.

Once the tailgate is stripped I moved onto the rear roof trim, you just need to remove the boot light fitting first, so you can access the screw holding the trim panel in place. The trim can then be removed by pulling trim away from the car.

When the rear roof trim is removed you need to pull down the drivers side D pillar trim, it does not need to be removed just pulled down enough to run the cables down. You just need to remove the 2 screw holding it in place and the plastic clip

The only other trim panel I removed was the cross panel, so the tailgate latch can be removed and the harness run to the latch and be run in.

Final job for the evening was to cut the hole for the switch, which was easy enough.

the wiring harness from kufatec, they are usualy very good but if you follow there instructions and secure the harness to the cars existing harness the plug for the tailgate close button is about 12" short, so that will need to be extended tomorrow as it looks a much tidier job with the harness secured that way.

The close button is about 3cm from the boot catch so there is no way it's going to reach...

Earth point for the motors in the roof.

Second problem was getting the motors fitted, one of the motor arms was out of alignment and would not locate so the motor had to be turned manually which was difficult as a fair amount of force is required to turn the motors. Once aligned and fitted the motor just had to be secured which was the difficult part, as the hole to get the bolt in is about 2" deep and the headlining is in the way, also trying to hold the motor in place keep the headlining out of the way, locate the screw into the bracket and then trying to turn the screw is dam well impossible, so the trick was just to remove the bracket from the motor and get the screw located in the bracket first, then position the motor and secure to the bracket and tighten.

When fitting the right hand motor you need to remove the plastic cable guide as this goes into the hole that bolt need to fit through.

The bolt to hold the bracket has to go through the hole and to make it even easier the headlining is in the way.

Both motors fitted.

Next is to fit the powered boot catch, the problem here is the amount of adjustment that can be made, there must be around 5mm at least side to side and backwards and forwards. I just made a mark where the centre of the existing boot catch was and the backwards/forwards adjustment once all the electrics are working, but I mounted it further towards the bumper so there was no possibility of damaging the powered boot catch if it was trying to pull to hard to close the tailgate.

Alignment mark using the existing latch.

Next was to connect the wiring, the only 2 plugs that you need to make changes too are the on the blue plug and the black plug just above, as I never bothered making my own harness the only instructions I have are form kufatec, so if anyone needs this PM me, but it will only be relevant to the kufatec harness, as it all marked up.

There are 2 earth wires which I connect to the earth point just to the left of the fuse holder.

The other 3 wires need to go to the fuse box. It needs to be a permanent live connection, so I used the brown fuse holder and the top 3 fuse locations. I just put some temporary fuses in there to make sure it was all working and will find out the correct ratings tomorrow.

The Final stage was the coding, first is to code the can-gateway and enable 6D Trunk electrics. Next you have to enable the closing aid and motors. to do this add the following values to your existing coding in the comfort control module (address 46)

Trunk lid closing aid + 1048576
    Trunk lid motors + 2097152

One thing to note even if your module accepts the coding, only the following modules actually support the electric tailgate function and these are.

4F0907289B
    4F0910289B
    4F0910289L
    4F0910289K

If you don't have one of these modules then the power latch won't work and the only way to electrically close the tailgate is via VCDS.
    Last edited by B5NUT; 04-01-2015 at 02:18 PM.

4 3 0

4. Re: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Nice write-up - thanks.

I'm needing to change the strut on mine and am thinking about converting to the powered tailgate.

Can you remember the rough overall cost?

Also, how do you open and close the tailgate in normal operation (via the boot button on the remote?)
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue SOLD
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi, Blue - getting ready to get rid of
    2008 A5 3.0 Tdi Quattro Coupe, Grey
    2010 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi, Blue

0 0 0

5. Re: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I think the price list was

Struts £40 (New TPS)
    both motors £100 (ebay)
    Boot catch £50 (ebay)
    Wiring harness £50 (kufatec)
    Switch £15 (New TPS)
    Comfort module £80 (ebay) You will need to have component protection removed by the dealer.

The close is by the boot switch but I'm thinking about running the boot switch wires and fitting a switch somewhere in the cabin, will look at that in the summer. Open is via the keyfob or the normal tailgate switch

1 0 0

6. Re: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Have you tried recoding via VCDS so you can close via key aswel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

7. Re: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    I think the price list was

Struts £40 (New TPS)
    both motors £100 (ebay)
    Boot catch £50 (ebay)
    Wiring harness £50 (kufatec)
    Switch £15 (New TPS)
    Comfort module £80 (ebay) You will need to have component protection removed by the dealer.

The close is by the boot switch but I'm thinking about running the boot switch wires and fitting a switch somewhere in the cabin, will look at that in the summer. Open is via the keyfob or the normal tailgate switch
    Thanks - I'll see what I think and will post if I go ahead with it
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue SOLD
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi, Blue - getting ready to get rid of
    2008 A5 3.0 Tdi Quattro Coupe, Grey
    2010 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi, Blue

0 0 0

8. Re: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Yes, but you need the facelift version with long coding. I'm about to convert most of my ECU's to the FL version over the course of this year so will post back if I can get this working.
    Last edited by B5NUT; 04-01-2015 at 11:20 PM.

0 0 0

9. Re: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    I did this on my A6 Avant here is a quick write-up I did, you need to find the parts on ebay otherwise the retrofit is not cost effective, you will also need to visit the dealer to have component protection removed from comfort control module (46).

I got my wiring harness from kufatec, you can buy the full kit form them but again it's far to expensive.

Parts Required
    x2 Gas Strut 4F9 827 552 E (Already fitted earlier in the thread)

Tailgate switch 3D0 959 831 D 20H

Drive Motor left 4F9 827 851 F
    DO NOT BUY MOTORS WITHOUT HINGE FITMENTS YOU CANNOT BUY THEM FROM THE DEALERS. (Black bit of metal shown on top of the motors)
    Drive Motor Right 4F9 827 852 F
    DO NOT BUY MOTORS WITHOUT HINGE FITMENTS YOU CANNOT BUY THEM FROM THE DEALERS (Black bit of metal shown on top of the motors)
    x2 Bracket for motors 4F9 827 603 (Already fitted to the motors)

x2 Bolt N 910 556 01
    x2 Bolt N 106 855 01

Power latch 4F9 827 383 E or G (Note the power latch is different depending on your mode. The part number I have listed is for Quattro models 4/6 cylinder engines)

Wiring harness from Kufatec

Note that some Comfort control modules (46) will not work with the electronic tailgate and will need to be replaced. Compatible units have the following part numbers

4F0907289B
    4F0910289B
    4F0910289L
    4F0910289K

just really got to the point of dismantling the rear of the car and fitting the wiring harness, started off by stripping down the tailgate, first by removing the warning triangle, and then the access covers for the rear tail

lights.

Remove the 6 screws holding the tailgate trim panel in place, once the screw are removed you then need to pull the trim downwards if it's never been off before then it can be a bit of a sod to remove.

You also need to remove the trim panel lights

Next is to remove the trim around the rear windscreen, it's held in place by a torx screw either side and clipped in place

To remove the hinge cover it just unclips from the inner edge.

Once the tailgate is stripped I moved onto the rear roof trim, you just need to remove the boot light fitting first, so you can access the screw holding the trim panel in place. The trim can then be removed by pulling trim away from the car.

When the rear roof trim is removed you need to pull down the drivers side D pillar trim, it does not need to be removed just pulled down enough to run the cables down. You just need to remove the 2 screw holding it in place and the plastic clip

The only other trim panel I removed was the cross panel, so the tailgate latch can be removed and the harness run to the latch and be run in.

Final job for the evening was to cut the hole for the switch, which was easy enough.

the wiring harness from kufatec, they are usualy very good but if you follow there instructions and secure the harness to the cars existing harness the plug for the tailgate close button is about 12" short, so that will need to be extended tomorrow as it looks a much tidier job with the harness secured that way.

The close button is about 3cm from the boot catch so there is no way it's going to reach...

Earth point for the motors in the roof.

Second problem was getting the motors fitted, one of the motor arms was out of alignment and would not locate so the motor had to be turned manually which was difficult as a fair amount of force is required to turn the motors. Once aligned and fitted the motor just had to be secured which was the difficult part, as the hole to get the bolt in is about 2" deep and the headlining is in the way, also trying to hold the motor in place keep the headlining out of the way, locate the screw into the bracket and then trying to turn the screw is dam well impossible, so the trick was just to remove the bracket from the motor and get the screw located in the bracket first, then position the motor and secure to the bracket and tighten.

When fitting the right hand motor you need to remove the plastic cable guide as this goes into the hole that bolt need to fit through.

The bolt to hold the bracket has to go through the hole and to make it even easier the headlining is in the way.

Both motors fitted.

Next is to fit the powered boot catch, the problem here is the amount of adjustment that can be made, there must be around 5mm at least side to side and backwards and forwards. I just made a mark where the centre of the existing boot catch was and the backwards/forwards adjustment once all the electrics are working, but I mounted it further towards the bumper so there was no possibility of damaging the powered boot catch if it was trying to pull to hard to close the tailgate.

Alignment mark using the existing latch.

Next was to connect the wiring, the only 2 plugs that you need to make changes too are the on the blue plug and the black plug just above, as I never bothered making my own harness the only instructions I have are form kufatec, so if anyone needs this PM me, but it will only be relevant to the kufatec harness, as it all marked up.

There are 2 earth wires which I connect to the earth point just to the left of the fuse holder.

The other 3 wires need to go to the fuse box. It needs to be a permanent live connection, so I used the brown fuse holder and the top 3 fuse locations. I just put some temporary fuses in there to make sure it was all working and will find out the correct ratings tomorrow.

The Final stage was the coding, first is to code the can-gateway and enable 6D Trunk electrics. Next you have to enable the closing aid and motors. to do this add the following values to your existing coding in the comfort control module (address 46)

Trunk lid closing aid + 1048576
    Trunk lid motors + 2097152

One thing to note even if your module accepts the coding, only the following modules actually support the electric tailgate function and these are.

4F0907289B
    4F0910289B
    4F0910289L
    4F0910289K

If you don't have one of these modules then the power latch won't work and the only way to electrically close the tailgate is via VCDS.
    Hi mate can I pick your brain?! My car (Audi A4 B8 Allroad quattro 2009) previously had tailgate motors but I was told by the previous owner (father in law) they stopped working and they took it to a friend who couldn't get it working again so he removed the motors so it would move easy.
    So I bought a pair of boot motors all fitted in fine and connected, it will close fine but won't open properly, so I did the usual lift hatch to and hold button to set height, my problem is if I take it past 2/3 of the way it seems to slip the clutch. I hold the button to set position then press the close button on trunk again but this time the hatch goes up, I can then press again to close down and press open and nothing it's reset itself. Almost asif it thinks that 2/3 open is fully open and just wants to reset itself if that makes sense. Did I do anything wrong with the motors before installing to maybe move the clutch position inside the motor? Thanks, luke

0 0 0

10. Re: Fitting the automatic boot open / closure ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Sorry cannot help, my tailgate install was almost plug and play, just had to get CP removed and enable the electric function in the module, there was no calibration required.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast