Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all

wonder if you can help me, please. I went out to my car this morning and was met with four beeps. Strange. It also would not start - won't even turn over, as if the immobiliser or something similar has not dis-engaged. I'm no experienced mechanic, but I do most of my own repairs - discs, pads, filters, etc. so I know a little about cars.

I've plugged in a VAG cable and the key issue seems to be the lack of communication with the engine (ECU related?) - which I suspect might be causing some of the other issues such as the brake problem. I am aware of the issues on the doors not unlocking which is throwing up the errors around intermittent power, but don't believe this is related.

The only thing which has happened recently is I had a split in one of the fuel hoses to the injectors. This was replaced and the car has been run since (albeit only about half a mile). It has sat in the drive for a couple of days as I've not had reason to use it. The other thing which might be related is when I went out this morning there was a light on the dash indicating the boot was open. I closed it, but did wonder if maybe a light had been on and taken some power from the battery and could it be that there isn't enough juice in the battery to get her started? However, all lights etc. come on fine and I also hooked up some jump leads to my wife's mini (diesel), but still the same thing - beeping, flashing and refusing to start. I also stuck a meter on the battery and it's showing about 11.5 volts which I would have thought sufficient?

Anyone any ideas?

Log-C7 YNE-WAUZZZ8P38A048663-180810km-112350mi.txt

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    II.5 volts is a bit on the low side. Try charging it first and check the fuses

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Hi.
    I reckon this is your battery Voltage , especially if it is the original since 2007, voltage should be higher than 11.5V, around 12.5 V. I had exactly same symptoms last Christmas day on a 1.9 tdi touran, Dash lit up like blackpool with warnings ( brakes, steering ESP, stop engine) I checked the voltage and had around 11V, I thought it should have been enough to get the car away but I suspect the electronics are so sensitive to low voltage it just freezes up. I got the car started and faults cleared once voltage had come up a bit (14.5 V when running) but battery couldn't hold charge and same again the next day - new battery sorted it, A pal has had the same on his Golf. I suggest you take the battery some where to get tested.
    I could be wrong and not sure why jump leads wouldn't get it away but that's my experience.
    good luck.

0 1 0

4. Re: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't like jump leads much bad experience with a voltage surge

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys - about to whip the battery off and stick it on charge. Hopefully that does the trick. Checked all the fuses earlier today (sorry meant to include this in my original post) - everything fine, both those inside the car and under the bonnet.

Will keep you posted on how it goes....

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Would recommend getting the battery drop tested rather than just recharging
    Once you reconnect the battery you will need to drive the car for a few hundred yards to clear the steering and ABS warning lights as it has to relearn the settings.

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Rob69 - looks like that may be next plan, as I've just charged the battery up - came off the charger at just over 13v but still exactly the same symptoms. Would any of the fault codes need resetting after this to allow the car to start again?

Secondary question (as I think I'm going to struggle to get a new battery for the next day or two given the time of year!) - if I disconnect my battery and connect my terminals to a set of jump leads which are in turn connected to my wife's Mini (which is also a diesel so should have the beef required) - would that prove or disprove the battery?

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Hi
    It could be that battery voltage reads 13V when you put a meter across it but voltage drops as soon as any load goes on it. Be very careful playing around with jump leads in the way you described, best wait till you get the battery tested and confirmed dead or ok. Or how about putting a 12V load on the battery while its off the car ( tyre compressor or something ) and see what the voltage drops to after a bit time ? or leave the battery overnight and check voltage in the morning.
    Couldn't say about codes needing resetting to let the car start - i've not had to after replacing batteries though.

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can you take the battery out of the mini and use it in the car

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi a3 1.9TD1 2007 - Won't start - flashing red brake light on dashboard and four beeps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok update on latest progress. Have tried a different (known good) battery, but exact same symptoms. I've also had mine load tested and confirmed it is in good condition. I've also tested the earth and it appears to be ok. Brake lights and brake switch also fine. I'm kind of running out of options! Is there any way of testing the ecu or the wiring to the ecu? Or any other ideas welcome :-). Thanks for all the input so far!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast