Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello FOlks,

A few months ago I noticed my cooling fan on the A6 was running constantly. As soon as I start the car up it runs, and then powers down when switching the car off. Occasionally it runs on for a few minutes when the car if off and locked.

I contacted Audi, the car was still under warranty and only as 34k on it, they said this was normal with DPF etc. I have taken the car on two 70+mile trips at high revs in 4-5th gear and the fan is still running. I am starting to think there may be a cooling sensor fault? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

IB

0 0 0

2. Re: 2.0 170 S-line Fan running all the time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    As its under warranty ask them to do a fault check as yh think something is wrong.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2.0 170 S-line Fan running all the time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would but I live on an Island and the nearest dealer is a day trip involving a ferry. As far as i know there is no garages on the island the VAGCOM. The dealer tells me this is normal, but surely a DPF regen wouldnt take two months?! I want to know if this is a normal DPF thing or if it is more likely a fault. Then I can send the car over armed with info.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2.0 170 S-line Fan running all the time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This is not normal, therefore you have a fault! What does the temp gauge say? If normal your probably correct with the sensor problem.

Either way, without access to VagCom you need a scan. Your dealer cannot say there's nothing wrong as constant fan operation will ultimately wear it quicker until it fails. Insist they look into it and sort it out.

Good luck & Merry Christmas!

Audi A5 3.0L quattro Convertible
    2010 in Ibis White with lots of toys!

0 0 0

5. Re: 2.0 170 S-line Fan running all the time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Have you checked that the AC is on, if so then this is why the fan is running.
    Dan
    2009/2010 2.0 TDIe SE

0 0 0

6. Re: 2.0 170 S-line Fan running all the time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Temp gauge is perfect, just take a little longer to get up to temp with the fan being running all the time. Thanks for the replies, will hunt down a vag computer today. Tried with AC off, no change.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2.0 170 S-line Fan running all the time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where is the Temp switch on this engine?

0 0 0

8. Re: 2.0 170 S-line Fan running all the time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Think it's been mentioned before, do a search.

0 0 0

9. Re: 2.0 170 S-line Fan running all the time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had this fault on my caddy. Totally different I know, but it was because the external air temp was faulty.... Cost me £5 on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

10. Re: 2.0 170 S-line Fan running all the time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandboay View Post
    Hello FOlks,

A few months ago I noticed my cooling fan on the A6 was running constantly. As soon as I start the car up it runs, and then powers down when switching the car off. Occasionally it runs on for a few minutes when the car if off and locked.

I contacted Audi, the car was still under warranty and only as 34k on it, they said this was normal with DPF etc. I have taken the car on two 70+mile trips at high revs in 4-5th gear and the fan is still running. I am starting to think there may be a cooling sensor fault? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

IB
    Not sure of its location on your vehicle, usually in a coolant hose somewhere........there is a radiator outlet temperature sensor that is used for fan operation. Failures are not uncommon on vag vehicles so might be a place to start.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast