1. Golf Mk4 rear door won't unlock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1999 Golf Mk4 GTi 5 door and the rear right door will not unlock at all. I have tried the remote locking, the key and the button on the drivers door but the locking knob does not even twitch.

If you try to pull the door handle, the knob comes up with resistance but will not stay up. I believe that this is because the dead lock has not released on this door.

If you put your ear to eg the other rear door and press the unlock button once on the remote, you hear a click in the door, which I assume is the dead lock coming off. This does not happen on the right rear door.

Any help much appreciated as I simply cannot open this door at the moment.

0 0 0

2. Door Jammed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi did you ever resolve this issue ?

I am having the same problem on my MK4 Golf GTI rear door stuck, can't open from inside or outside, guess it's a new lock or solenoid ??

Regards

Nick

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It turned out to be the door control unit, which is the electonic circuit board that sits on top of the window winder mechanism. You cannot get this part separately, perversely you have to replace the electric window winder motor to get your door to open, which comes with the circuit board and plug attached to the top!

Mk4 Golfs did have random door locking and unlocking problems on models before about 2002, see this excellent article if your problem is an intermittent lock problem, which explains how to dismantle the door lock and re-solder dry joints:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1542461

However, if your problem appears to be the same as the one I had ie. no matter how many times you press the unlock button on the remote or the drivers door, or tap the door in the area of the lock, then the chances are that the door control unit has gone.

To doubly make sure, remove the door trim panel - in the rear, I had to take the back seat out and even then use a bit of brute force as I could not get to one of the retaining screws at the bottom. You can then check the voltages at the back of the plug that goes to the window winder motor.

With the ignition on, you should have +12V on the Red/Yellow and Red/White, using the brown as the 0V.

You should also have +12V between the Orange/Brown (Bus Low) and the Orange/Green (Bus High) - This is where the control signal comes in which then goes on to the motor in the door lock unit - this motor pulses back and forth in order to release the deadlock tab and unlock/lock the door.

When you press unlock, you should get brief pulses of +12V on both the lilac and blue wires which lead to the door lock motor. If you disconnect the plug from the window winder motor, you should have a low resistance reading between the lilac and blue wires, which is basically the motor coil resistance - if this is open circuit, then it is the door lock motor which is gone.

If more than one door is affected then it is most probably a simple fuse, 37 or 38.

If you still have problems then post a reply as I ended up drilling a hole in the inside of the door, to access the door lock motor - I managed to manually rotate the motor by its drive cog and release the deadlock tab. That's another story though and was at a stage when I was convinced that it was the door lock that was at fault. If you ever get to that stage, I could take photos of where to drill holes - I dismantled the opposite door and took accurate measurements before getting the black and decker out!

I even spoke to my local VW dealer who swore blind that replacing the window winder motor would not affect the door lock - when I started speaking to him about bus systems he was completely lost...

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossMouse View Post
    It turned out to be the door control unit, which is the electonic circuit board that sits on top of the window winder mechanism. You cannot get this part separately, perversely you have to replace the electric window winder motor to get your door to open, which comes with the circuit board and plug attached to the top!

Mk4 Golfs did have random door locking and unlocking problems on models before about 2002, see this excellent article if your problem is an intermittent lock problem, which explains how to dismantle the door lock and re-solder dry joints:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1542461

However, if your problem appears to be the same as the one I had ie. no matter how many times you press the unlock button on the remote or the drivers door, or tap the door in the area of the lock, then the chances are that the door control unit has gone.

To doubly make sure, remove the door trim panel - in the rear, I had to take the back seat out and even then use a bit of brute force as I could not get to one of the retaining screws at the bottom. You can then check the voltages at the back of the plug that goes to the window winder motor.

With the ignition on, you should have +12V on the Red/Yellow and Red/White, using the brown as the 0V.

You should also have +12V between the Orange/Brown (Bus Low) and the Orange/Green (Bus High) - This is where the control signal comes in which then goes on to the motor in the door lock unit - this motor pulses back and forth in order to release the deadlock tab and unlock/lock the door.

When you press unlock, you should get brief pulses of +12V on both the lilac and blue wires which lead to the door lock motor. If you disconnect the plug from the window winder motor, you should have a low resistance reading between the lilac and blue wires, which is basically the motor coil resistance - if this is open circuit, then it is the door lock motor which is gone.

If more than one door is affected then it is most probably a simple fuse, 37 or 38.

If you still have problems then post a reply as I ended up drilling a hole in the inside of the door, to access the door lock motor - I managed to manually rotate the motor by its drive cog and release the deadlock tab. That's another story though and was at a stage when I was convinced that it was the door lock that was at fault. If you ever get to that stage, I could take photos of where to drill holes - I dismantled the opposite door and took accurate measurements before getting the black and decker out!

I even spoke to my local VW dealer who swore blind that replacing the window winder motor would not affect the door lock - when I started speaking to him about bus systems he was completely lost...
    Nothing new to me ... Glad you fixed it !

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf Mk4 rear door won't unlock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone who has tried to help me with this problem but I think that the problem is not electrical but mechanical. Everything on the inside of the door has been removed but I cannot open the door to be able to remove the actual lock and handle! Please, any other ideas?????
    thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf Mk4 rear door won't unlock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Firstly dont start messing with convience can and your fault is the lock is stuck(mechanical issue )that has been around since convience was introduce on passat.You will have to smash the lock from inside the door to be able to release the lock,and then replace the lock.Big screwy big hammer.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf Mk4 rear door won't unlock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Bit 5 Bit 4 Bit 3 Bit 2 Bit 1
    Value of
    bits
    Central
    locking
    Basic status
    Safe
    Door unlocked
    Door locked
    Unlocked
    Signal error, input sensors
    Status error
    0 Volts, 0 Volts, 0 Volts
    0 Volts, 0 Volts, 5 Volts
    0 Volts, 5 Volts, 0 Volts
    0 Volts, 5 Volts, 5 Volts
    5 Volts, 0 Volts, 0 Volts
    5 Volts, 0 Volts, 5 Volts
    5 Volts, 5 Volts, 0 Volts
    5 Volts, 5 Volts, 5 Volts
    Electric
    windows
    In motion
    Not moving
    Within range
    Upper stop recognised
    0 Volts, 0 Volts
    0 Volts, 5 Volts
    5 Volts, 0 Volts
    5 Volts, 5 Volts convience can 5 volt and should only be checked via a scope s a multimeter isnt fast enough to catch it or it can be checked via measured value blocks.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf Mk4 rear door won't unlock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. This appears to be a very common problem and I had it on both of my rear doors of my 03 TDI. The good news is I've at least managed to open them today after six months in preparation for its impending MOT where it would be be a fail. As I say, this isn't a total cure as that will involve replacing the internal gubbings which will (well may!) come later.

One thing I would like to clear up and that has cost me a tenner is that there is a YouTube video which shows some bloke with a lock pick artfully slipping it in at the back of the door handle. Well I bought a set on eBay but could not physically slip it in the gap. The difference is that in my door handle there is a small metal gromet - for want of a better word - that prevents such objects being slipped in, hence the wasted tenner. https://youtu.be/MNg18qaYU9o

Now this is what did work for me at least and within a mere 10 minutes. You will need a mallet, an old towel folded to make a thick protective pad and an additional buddy - I opted for a 14 year old due to their quick and responsive gaming fingers.

Place the thick towel on the inner door panel side of the first rear handle and hit it repeatedly as hard as you dare while your friend presses/toggles the Key and Central Locking buttons very quickly on the inside of the drivers door. For me at least, hey presto! It was even quicker on the second lock. What I've also done now is to remove fuse 37 for the central locking and I will it leave it unlocked. All are welcome to my broken brollys and yellowing newspapers.

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf Mk4 rear door won't unlock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just replaced my door lock on my passenger rear side. I found that I sat inside the car and used the unlock button on the fob and pulled the inner handle at the same time it opened. I got a new lock non oem off eBay for £17. Tried secondhand ones but they failed shortly after installation. Need any tips on replacement let me know. Took about three hours to get the blighter out but about half an hour to reinstall as I new what I was doing by then. You'll need some spline bits, halfords sell them.

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf Mk4 rear door won't unlock 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry to bump an old thread, but stumped at the problem.
    I have replaced the door control module (the unit with the lock catch just behind the outside door handle).
    The power locks (and electric windows), worked once after power up. But went back to not working mode after and since stayed there.
    Do I also need to replace the unit that controls the electric windows? I would have thought that the door control module is separate from the electric window controls.
    It seems to me that no power is going to the right rear door since both modules (door and windows) won't work. The audio is working, as well as manually locking/opening the door.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossMouse View Post

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast