Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi.
    I decided to create this topic to help people to make their own harness from a scratch.
    As you all know our cars are more and more sophisticated and most upgrades require ecu and dedicated electronic harness to work. Towbar isn't different!
    Audi or westfalia doesn't sell harnesses for this type of towbar. In fact this towbar should not be removed from donor car for some reason!
    Well I bought one off eBay and didn't want to scrap it! Only solution is to make harness yourself.
    To start with you gonna need swivel towbar with realising wheel, electric module, electric harness from another car (in my case golf mk4), set of plugs from a dealer which cost less then £6 and last but not least electric cloth tape made by tesa to make it look professional. Not to forget about diagram, this is must!
    I did spend nearly 3 hours on a scrap yard removing harness from a car. And looked like this: .
    With this you gonna need loads of patients and gloves. Glue of the old tape is really sticky. I used old scissors which worked well but need to be careful not to cut wires which you might need later. Tbc.
    Last edited by jocker01; 03-11-2014 at 12:16 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: [How to]Swivel towbar electric harness a6 4f 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Really pleased this 'how to' has been started! Nice one jocker1, I will be following and hopefully contributing.

0 0 0

3. Re: [How to]Swivel towbar electric harness a6 4f 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is what we are aiming for:
    This photos are borrowed from polish forum.
    And this is how this swivel towbar looks like out of the car:
    And photo of a module: .
    So after your donor harness been stripped you should have nice variety of cables to work with .

0 0 0

4. Re: [How to]Swivel towbar electric harness a6 4f 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

0 0 0

5. Re: [How to]Swivel towbar electric harness a6 4f 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

0 0 0

6. Re: [How to]Swivel towbar electric harness a6 4f 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I should mention this at the beginning that:

I will not take any responsibility for damage to your vehicle due to an error mine or yours.

All information’s which will be provided are to my best knowledge and experience.

Let get serious. 4 plugs which will be required are:

6Q0972883B : (red) £1.84

6Q0972883C : (blue) £1.84

6Q0937713 : (black) £0.91

And the last one

4B0971978B : (black) £1.45

There is one more plug which I didn’t have to buy and is fitted to locking mechanism on a towbar itself (f355) I gonna have to check part number for this!

These prices are accurate at the time of writing this post!

Those plugs can be order from any VAG group dealer like Skoda, VW, Seat or Audi whichever is closer to you.

Reason why I decided to go for golf harness is that I was able to salvage some of the connectors which are required to build new harness.

Different plugs got different ways how to open them in order to remove connectors.

Most of them got some sort of locking mechanism as well as small lugs folding connector inside housing. When locking mechanism is realised I used small flat screwdriver to push lugs flat in order to remove connector from a housing. Please be careful when doing this as is very easy to injure yourself! (Speaking from an experience :P)

Wiring diagram related to towbar harness contains 3 pages and I have no idea how to attached so I zip them and attached that way they are in svgz format ( special program is needed to view them).

In diagram you will find most of imported info about how thick wires should be, which plug they goes to and where to plug them! I can help you as much as I can but you must get yourself familiar and learn how to read those diagrams.

Ok, so when you have all wires needed together with connectors is time to start making new harness.

I have started with power plug (red) which is the most imported one as if you get this wrong towbar ECU might get burn. Please take all necessary attention to this one.

Red one is connected to main harness in a boot, contains 3 fuses connectors placed to the fuse block. 2 CAN wires twisted together, 2 wires which go to blue connector at Convenience system central control unit and a ground.

Black one is for towing socket. Mine had about 1m cables remaining to I use them as reference and solider them with a new ones.

Blue one is for realising wheel. Cables for this one are the longest, about 180cm long.

As soonest all this is done you can start to wrap new harness with tesa electric tape and all this change in to nice looking towbar harness, almost as good as this one which I showed you in a 3rd post.

Any question please do not hesitate to contact me, I will answer if I can.

Thanks

Jocker01

0 0 0

7. Re: [How to]Swivel towbar electric harness a6 4f 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    diagrams in attachment.
    Regards
    Jocker01
    Last edited by Guest 2; 18-11-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: we can't host copyrighted material

0 0 0

8. Re: [How to]Swivel towbar electric harness a6 4f 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And final effect of my hard work.

0 0 0

9. Re: [How to]Swivel towbar electric harness a6 4f 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jocker1 is this something like what you started with?

0 0 0

10. Re: [How to]Swivel towbar electric harness a6 4f 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    g.suggy, yes, mine looked the same. In both cases, your and mine, someone was to lazy to remove harness properly. Good luck. Regards
    Jocker01

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast