Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Is it likely that I have an auxiliary heater on 2003 Touran 2.0 TDI?

1. Is it likely that I have an auxiliary heater on 2003 Touran 2.0 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    A VCDS scan on our 2003 2.0 TDI Touran grumbles that it can't communicate with the auxiliary heater that it thinks is fitted. Before looking any further at fixes I want to sanity check that it should be there, and hasn't simply been flagged as fitted on the CAN gateway even though it isn't!

AIUI there are two types of device called auxiliary heaters that can be fitted and various threads get confused about which is which, so maybe a previous owner or mechanic has misunderstood what to configure. They are:
    1. CAN location 18: Diesel powered unit at front right of engine bay. This area is obscured by windscreen water bottle so I can't see if it is physically there and a bad back is discouraging me from crawling around underneath. This is present in the VCDS equipment list at the top of an auto-scan but not responding to VCDS and other units report not being able to find it as well.
    2. CAN location 76: Electrical powered unit behind dash, but I don't seem to have the SA5 fuse in the engine bay that I think this would need so I guess this isn't fitted. And it isn't in the VCDS list.

So I'd have expected to not have the 76 item coded and maybe / maybe not the 18 item.

Can anyone add any insight?

0 0 0

2. Re: Is it likely that I have an auxiliary heater on 2003 Touran 2.0 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I selected auxiliary heating on an A4 B8 the other day in VCDS, the actual heating unit wasn't fitted to the car, but you get the benefit of being able to select timed ventilation through the MMI.
    I get the following faults which show the unit isn't there:-

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255) Labels: None
    Part No SW: 8T2 820 043 N HW: 8T2 820 043 N
    Component: KLIMA 3 ZONEN H05 0120
    Revision: D1000000 Serial number: 0108.01.080511
    Coding: 360C0000
    Shop #: WSC 06325 123 12345
    VCID: 3D712DE6A49852C944D-8068

1 Fault Found:
    01207 - Control Module for Auxiliary Heater (J364)
    004 - No Signal/Communication
    A4 B8 3.0TDI Quattro - 19" Alloys, ACC, MMI, B&O Sound, Nav, Bluetooth, Xenon Adaptive Lights Plus LED DRL's, Leather, Heated Seats, Braking Guard, Active Lane Assist, Side Assist, Dynamic Steering, Keyless Entry, Rear Camera, Removable Tow Bar, TPMS, AHHA, ADS.

VCDS Fully Registered Cable With Latest Software (14.10.0).

0 0 0

3. Re: Is it likely that I have an auxiliary heater on 2003 Touran 2.0 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I finally got a definitive answer to this . I popped into the local Audi dealer and they were kind enough to pull the full PR code list for the car, showing 9M5 for the diesel aux heater. I also found that pulling the mini-grille from around the front right fog lamp makes it easy to see as well. So now I know it's there I just have to figure out why it isn't working. Fuse SB30 seems to be the right one for the J364 controller on this model, and it's looking good. I'll see if I can get the connectors that I can see off of the heater to look for obvious corrosion, and at least check that the 12V is getting there.

0 0 0

4. Re: Is it likely that I have an auxiliary heater on 2003 Touran 2.0 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Well it didn't take too long to find a likely cause. The first connector I removed was the brown+red/yellow power one. The 12V side had broken, leaving the "spade" part of the terminal from the heater side in the detached supply connector . There is a short amount of cable behind the bracket that the heater side connector is mounted in, so a repair may be possible but having lived without the heater for so long I suspect I'll never get around to it.

Another (CAN / control?) connector is also reachable but wouldn't come off so I wonder if that also has corrosion in it, making a rush to get the power side rather futile.

0 0 0