1. Re: Crank pulley failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    There are a few vibration damper pulley failures mentioned in this thread, I think mainly on diesel engines.

Is this problem specific to diesel engines, or does it also happen on petrol engines?

Has anyone seen damage caused to other components when a vibration damper pulley has failed, especially if it came off completely?
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

2. Re: Crank pulley failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    It is a rare failure in all cases but the CR TDI V6 is prone to it, is your engine an ASB?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Crank pulley failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It is a rare failure in all cases but the CR TDI V6 is prone to it, is your engine an ASB?

No, it's an AEB, 4cylinders, and not running on the devil's fuel
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

4. Re: Crank pulley failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    No, not you, the other chap who doesn’t mind driving around filling children’s lungs with The Devils Soot... you would never step that low...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Crank pulley failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I need a bit of emergency advice. My crankshaft pulley has just failed AA on the way to recover the car.

I’m supposed to be using the car in 34 hours to drive to south of France for holidays. Is it reasonable to replace the pulley in a day on the drive with a decent set of tools? Any guides on the forum?

I’m searching on my phone as I’m waiting so it’s hard to find any guidance.

0 0 0

6. Re: Crank pulley failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    You would need to source a replacement pulley and belt (the belt will probably be damaged even if invisibly). You will need spline bits to remove the pulley hub. You will need to pull the front off the car to give you enough space. Only guides I could find were on youtube. Even if you manage to change it you won't have time to check it's okay. My advice would be to hire or borrow a car for your holiday.

0 0 0

7. Re: Crank pulley failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. I tried once I got home to research YouTube and found some similar guides. I think getting the parts will be the issue this morning and as you say if it's not right I could get stuck travelling. I'll maybe try to borrow a car and do the work when I get back with a bit of time.

Do I need to replace the belt tensioner as well?

0 0 0

8. Re: Crank pulley failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Shouldn't need to, but while the belt is off/slack you can check all the idlers turn smoothly.

0 0 0

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456