Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Self Levelling Suspension Fault - Locked Suspension Yelow Warning on Dash

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Self Levelling Suspension Fault - Locked Suspension Yelow Warning on Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Hi,

yes definitely the airbag, to prove test again left at level 3, then at level 1, if it always sinks at level 1 but not at level 3 = airbag leak,

an airline will leak at every level

best regards

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

2. Re: Self Levelling Suspension Fault - Locked Suspension Yelow Warning on Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy - thats what I thought, leaking bag! Over recent months the car had occasionally gone down to level1 overnight. I guess all the mucking about I have done recently has caused the bag to finally give up.Have ordered a replacement. Plan A: While waiting on delivery, I will now clean up the pinch bolt with a wire brush, soak it in WD40 for 2 days. Intend to then put a C-clamp with spanner on nut and over-sized socket at bolt head end and more WD40. Over a further 4 days, will add pressure via the spanner, tap housing with hammer and again soak in WD40.Plan B: If it don't give with Plan A, clobber bolt and housing with HEAVY hammer until it does!Will keep this post updated with progress.

0 0 0

3. Re: Self Levelling Suspension Fault - Locked Suspension Yelow Warning on Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    ive tried the clamp method no good you need shock to remove it, but soaking and then Heat is your best tools for removing that pinch bolt, ive got every one out that way, I made up a simple metal plate to protect the to upper arm rubbers from the flame and get heat into the hub mounting and then an impact gun on the bolt, get it turning 1st and then it will come out

regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

4. Re: Self Levelling Suspension Fault - Locked Suspension Yelow Warning on Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipingandy View Post
    ive tried the clamp method no good you need shock to remove it, but soaking and then Heat is your best tools for removing that pinch bolt, ive got every one out that way, I made up a simple metal plate to protect the to upper arm rubbers from the flame and get heat into the hub mounting and then an impact gun on the bolt, get it turning 1st and then it will come out

regards

Andy
    Thanks again Andy. Currently waiting on the new air bag. Should be starting the job Fri or Sat. Have been soaking the joint with WD40 since Saturday. Also have a neighbour who is a welder and is happy to heat treat the joint if I have no success. Will keep this post updated.
    One question. I note Arnott say to install the new bag with the air valve in situ and simply press in the airline when the bag is installed. Removing the valve of the new bag to install the airline apparently invalidates the warranty. In the Arnott video it looks very easy just pushing the airline into the new bag - but, there again, the chap just "pulls out" the pinch bolt with his hand! Just wonder if you have any advice on this part?

0 0 0

5. Re: Self Levelling Suspension Fault - Locked Suspension Yelow Warning on Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    the new bag probably has the push type connection rather than the threas to use the screw in, possibly trim the pipe only a small amount to get rid of the old crimp marks to make the hose round (but dont crush it with cutters) and then push it in, bare in mind never used the new bags so i might be talking rubbish!!

regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

6. Re: Self Levelling Suspension Fault - Locked Suspension Yelow Warning on Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Well my Allroad now sports a new Gen1 Arnott Airbag on the NSF. It is just a pity this straight-forward job is clouded by the sodding seized pinch bolt! What a job this was to crack off - Andy, you were spot on with the advice for heat treatment.
    With a tin shield for the rubbers on the end of the arms, I had a paint stripper heat gun on the knuckle whilst pulling from the head end of the bolt with a two arm puller. The bolt only cracked after I had buckled the puller thrust bolt and bent the bolt at the nut end. Could then rotate the bolt but only with the heat on - soon as I let the knuckle cool, it seized again! With the bolt bent at the nut end, only option was to grind off the head and then punch it out (all the time with heat on). Also, 3 times had to grind off the bolt as it came out and against the wheel bearing arm. Believe me, WD40 has NO EFFECT on a 12 year old seized pinch bolt! New pinch bolt is covered with a copious amount of outboard anti-corrosion grease which will get replaced every month!
    Also, I discovered that if you put Stiltsens on the wishbone arm and gently rotate the arm upwards, there is plenty of room to get the strut bolt out/in - no need to remove the suspension guide arm.
    Now on the lookout for a heavy duty bar puller should the offside bag ever needs replacing.

0 0 0

7. Re: Self Levelling Suspension Fault - Locked Suspension Yelow Warning on Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Yep forget the clamping or puller, Heat is the only tool to get it moving, and the bolt will come out complete......well with a lot of paitience. i thought about providing metal protector plate for the upper ball joints, quite easy to make, and they allow you to apply a good flame and not burn the rubbers I maybe will work on it for a new project!!

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123