1. Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly im new to the forum, so ill say a big hello to everyone!

I purchased a 60 plate VW Crafter a couple of weekends ago. The test drive was fine the 300 odd mile drive home from Basingstoke to Leeds went fine, it drove brilliantly.

However, on the way to the coast on Friday eve the engine management light started flashing, power wasnt affected. I drove a little further and pulled up, turned the ignition off and started it back up. No more light. I continued on our way. The next day, going down the EXACT piece of road (which was down a steepish hill) the light started flashing again. Again, I pulled up, ignition off and back on - the light stayed off.

All was fine until tonight on the way to Manchester, the light started flashing again, eventually it stayed on - didnt seem to go into limp mode. Arrived at our destination and the usual turning the ignition off and back on didnt work, the light was still solid - it didnt go into limp mode. On the way home and seemingly running normal, the light was solid and eventually started flashing again. Arrived home and started it back up after 5 mins and it was solid again.

Its really odd, quite random and not showing any other signs of anything wrong, other than the light on.

Unfortunately i only have vagcom and not the Merc version, im told vagcom wont work. Does anyone have the appropriate diagnostic software so i can scan the ecu?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Gaz

0 0 0

2. Re: Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    try vagcom, it should work.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

3. Re: Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh will it, ill give it a try. Any idea which version is needed, as i have an older version which worked on the Corrado and Passat B5.5 but not sure it'll be new enough for the Crafter.

Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    ah, not sure, i use a snap on machine myself but you will probably need a newer version. yes it is basically a merc but its a vw so vcds will work.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

5. Re: Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah pleased to hear that :-)

My father in law who has a crafter too, is under the impression it wont work as he said (or was told) the Crafter has Merc software.

Ill get it scanned tonight.

Before that though, is the engine management light flashing/staying on bad, or could it simply be a sensor failing. Up until last night it didnt come on often, but last night stayed on.

0 0 0

6. Re: Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As the ever knowledgeable and extremely helpful zollaf has said, VCDS will work but you'll need a new(er) HEX+CAN lead.

Have a read of this > VW Crafter (2E) - Ross-Tech Wiki < for more specific instructions.

If you no longer use the old(er) lead, Ross Tech offer a trade in service here > Ross-Tech Store: Trade Dongle < which will save you lots of pennies over buying outright.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

2 0 0

7. Re: Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes i have the Hex+Can lead :-)

Thanks, will give that a read.

0 0 0

8. Re: Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In that case, you're all set.

(I just learned, rather late in the game that HEX+CAN is backwards compatible - every day is a school day!)

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

1 1 0

9. Re: Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just to confirm if Hex+Can is the 16 pin connector, yes i can plug it in tonight. Just need to probably download a later version of vagcom.

0 0 0

10. Re: Newly purchased Crafter - problem :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_fish View Post
    Before that though, is the engine management light flashing/staying on bad, or could it simply be a sensor failing. Up until last night it didnt come on often, but last night stayed on.
    Post the DTCs (fault codes) and perhaps then someone can give better answer, without them bit of a guessing game.

As a 2010 plate it must be a 2.5 TDi?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast