Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi,

Picked up a crack in my windscreen yesterday.

I'm a bit nervous about getting it replaced as had bad experience in the past. Also weather isn't so good this time of year.

With Direct Line and all their information lists autoglass which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Can I choose who fixes it and would an audi dealer change the windscreen or just sub it out?

I'm concerned the job may not be done well or lead to other things such as a fault with auto wipers etc

Any advice gratefully received. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing and all will be fine.

0 1 0

2. Re: Windscreen replacement advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    You normally pay extra excess if you use your own. I would imagine Audi would use oem screen but sub out the fitting.
    i need one myself so will watch this post with interest.
    NOW GONE 2007 A6 2.7TDi Avant Le Mans Edition (180)

Mods:- ECU Remap, Rear Air Suspension, Rear Led Lights, Rear View Camera, Rear Privacy Glass, Titanium wheels, Colour Coded Fog Light Surrounds, FBMFSW, AMI, DAB, Chrome S6 pedals, Front Grille De-chrome, window surround de-chrome.

0 0 0

3. Re: Windscreen replacement advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Genuine screen, previous threads have shown people have had issues with non oe screens.
    Last edited by Guest 2; 12-10-2014 at 07:54 PM.

0 0 0

4. Re: Windscreen replacement advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks guys,

OK quick update. Read my policy. Basically autoglass with me paying £75, or anywhere else they only pay first £125. That means AG. Just called them up, they act as agent for insurance so buck stops with insurer if it goes wrong.

Anyway, asked a few questions like is it genuine screen or aftermarket, what about weather, do they cover operation of rain sensor etc. Now lady I spoke with said screen will be the same, vans have awnings but if really bad weather they reschedule. Next step is dealing with local branch who will do repair. I've seen on net if you have a fancy screen good chance genuine, and if not you could pay a bit extra for genuine one. Against that I guess it is down to who you deal with, and also what they can get hold of in a reasonable time.

Anyway, will keep notes of all this, and take photos of car in and out around screen before work commences in case something goes wrong. May also do a quick VCDS scan and keep log.

Got fingers crossed it will all go okay, but tbh I'm often very unlucky with such things.

Keep you posted.

Andy

1 0 0

5. Re: Windscreen replacement advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    From my experience at working at the Audi dealerships they sub out the screen replacements. You can call the windscreen company and request a genuine screen, I always have in the past and always got an Audi branded screen.

1 1 0

6. Re: Windscreen replacement advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apole View Post
    Hi,

Picked up a crack in my windscreen yesterday.

I'm a bit nervous about getting it replaced as had bad experience in the past. Also weather isn't so good this time of year.

With Direct Line and all their information lists autoglass which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Can I choose who fixes it and would an audi dealer change the windscreen or just sub it out?

I'm concerned the job may not be done well or lead to other things such as a fault with auto wipers etc

Any advice gratefully received. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing and all will be fine.
    This is a conversation which needs to take place before policy inception. If you're not happy with their nominated repairers, you choose another insurer.

Choosing the cheapest quote usually restricts your choice, as you're finding out.

All the 'lady on the phone' has confirmed is that the windscreen you're about to get in your car is for an Audi; it'll look like an Audi windscreen and it will perform like an Audi windscreen. I guess it's a bit like McVities Digestives; I love them, but the missus sometimes gets the knock-off supermarket ones, you know, they have similar packaging; the biscuits are round (just like the originals) and they have 'DIGESTIVE' written on them (just like the originals). The kids don't know the difference, so it's 'every little helps' on the weekly spend.

1 1 0

7. Re: Windscreen replacement advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I've always got Jaguar windscreens on the 2 ocassions I needed it from Autoglass

Had one non-audi one and no problems, but it was replacing a non-audi screen with which I had no problems (apart from the crack) in 18 months of driving.

Plus I can now use screen coatings (aquapel/fog-ex) on non-OEM ones (since Audi says not to on theirs)
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

8. Re: Windscreen replacement advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    AG won't give screen with the VAG stamp or P/N, they give equivalent, I had this when I got mine done.

They gave FY screen Link:- Who has non audi stamped windscreen? - Page 3

They broke the trim which resides on mirror backside covering the sensor, etc and gave car back with it hanging half, insurer compensated me plus new trim.

They also asked if I'd like another screen but thought I don't want disgruntled employees working on car and left it.

Why I think I got money besides the trim was wording of insurance, it stated to use AG but didn't state they'd use non VAG stamp screen. I've had no issues in past year, I also went to audi dealer and surprise surprise new models had FY screens with stamp.
    Last edited by gupsterg; 12-10-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Info added

0 0 0

9. Re: Windscreen replacement advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Well. No progress to report. Booked last Tuesday then cancelled due to sickness 30 mins beforehand. Rebooked for today. Showed up but brought wrong screen. Marvellous. They run 5 hour slots which is a tad inconvenient too.

So fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky this Wednesday!

0 0 0

10. Re: Windscreen replacement advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    OK update time.

AG arrived, decent chap doing the work. Took time to check car over for existing damage and all things related working OK.

Did a good job of explaining process etc, and confirming I did have the correct reflective glass this time around.

Job took about an hour, new screen looked very thick. Job done, no mess, even put up my discrete dash cam which is stuck to glass by mirror in tinted strip.

So overall so far very impressed. Not driven car yet but all looks good.

They fitted a non Audi branded screen from Guardian. Did some checking and it looks to be a German company, and from the markings it is reflective, denoted by an E9 stamp according to my research.

So all in well pleased, job done neatly, no damage or mess I can see. Only minor niggle was NS wiper remounted a bit high so you could see, easy to pop off and move slightly back to where it was before.

Shame it took 3 goes but in the end job seems to have been done very well, and I think I have a good make of screen.

Keep you posted if anything comes up.

2 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast